alinazubairx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
hi, q's on polymerisation of alkenes-
would a high temp and high pressure result on a high yield of polymer? if so why?
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This sounds like a question that involves equilibrium. Does it?
alinazubairx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgarda)
This sounds like a question that involves equilibrium. Does it?
nope. just addition polymerisation.
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by alinazubairx)
nope. just addition polymerisation.
Well, if my memory serves me correctly, logic would dictate that a high temperature and high pressure would increase the rate of reaction, thereby producing a greater yield. So, yes, an addition reaction would have a higher yield with those conditions.

However, just in case I am wrong (which wouldn't surprise me, if I'm being honest), I'll tag the experts: Pigster and MexicanKeith.
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Well, if my memory serves me correctly, logic would dictate that a high temperature and high pressure would increase the rate of reaction, thereby producing a greater yield. So, yes, an addition reaction would have a higher yield with those conditions.

However, just in case I am wrong (which wouldn't surprise me, if I'm being honest), I'll tag the experts: Pigster and MexicanKeith.
me = expert - you iz havin a jeraaaarf

Polymers aren't my forte, but two thoughts - all reactions are equilibria, so inc. P will help yield, inc. T will hinder (I don't know of any equilibrium where inc. both T and P inc. yield). The other would be a delta G based thought - DS is very -ve (for addition polymerisation), so there will be a maximum feasible T, but this also means that as we approach DG = 0, then the yield will be affected (which confirms my thought that inc. T would hinder).

Inc. T and P will only increase yield (as you suggest) if you don't allow the reaction to go to completion i.e. you stop the reaction early, e.g. you don't allow it to reach dynamic equilibrium / allow one reagent to be used up.

But, a proper chemist might come along soon. If we're lucky.
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)

Polymers aren't my forte, but two thoughts - all reactions are equilibria, so inc. P will help yield, inc. T will hinder (I don't know of any equilibrium where inc. both T and P inc. yield). The other would be a delta G based thought - DS is very -ve (for addition polymerisation), so there will be a maximum feasible T, but this also means that as we approach DG = 0, then the yield will be affected (which confirms my thought that inc. T would hinder).

Inc. T and P will only increase yield (as you suggest) if you don't allow the reaction to go to completion i.e. you stop the reaction early, e.g. you don't allow it to reach dynamic equilibrium / allow one reagent to be used up.

Thanks for educating me here haha.
alinazubairx
Rep:
?

thank you very much!
alinazubairx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)

thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (595)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads