A Verde
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I currently study alevel business, English language and level 3 diploma in Criminology. But I recently thought about changing my a-levels to Biology, Maths, and Chemistry.
Reason being is because I realised how much biology interested me, after watching some documentaries on TV.
Also interested in food science so I figured a pathway in biology or biochem would help.

I want to know whether I would need to disclose something like this on my personal statement for university? what about an interview? I'm really interested in going to a 'prestigious' university, like Oxbridge for example.

if I would need to mention my sudden change of heart during my first year of sixth form on my personal statement, then would this effect my chances of getting a placement?

Thanks for replies in advance.
ANY advice or opinions is appreciated so please do reply
ineedhelpsohelp
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by A Verde)
I currently study alevel business, English language and level 3 diploma in Criminology. But I recently thought about changing my a-levels to Biology, Maths, and Chemistry.
Reason being is because I realised how much biology interested me, after watching some documentaries on TV.
Also interested in food science so I figured a pathway in biology or biochem would help.

I want to know whether I would need to disclose something like this on my personal statement for university? what about an interview? I'm really interested in going to a 'prestigious' university, like Oxbridge for example.

if I would need to mention my sudden change of heart during my first year of sixth form on my personal statement, then would this effect my chances of getting a placement?

Thanks for replies in advance.
ANY advice or opinions is appreciated so please do reply
Hi.I take biology chemistry and English lit. If you are already in year 12 then I personally suggest that you don't change all 3 of your options as the catch up will be ridiculous. Personally biology has been such a struggle for me. If your school offers AQA biology please don't take it. AQA biology is so messy and bad, I can't stress it enough. Revision guides lie to you and the mark schemes are SO specific. AQA continuously changes what they expect from you in the exams and thus revision guides become, according to the specimen, incorrect. However, the content is very interesting but it sure doesn't make up for all the stress you'll be having trying to adapt your answers to fit the insane mark schemes.
A Verde
Rep:
?
(Original post by ineedhelpsohelp)
Hi.I take biology chemistry and English lit. If you are already in year 12 then I personally suggest that you don't change all 3 of your options as the catch up will be ridiculous. Personally biology has been such a struggle for me. If your school offers AQA biology please don't take it. AQA biology is so messy and bad, I can't stress it enough. Revision guides lie to you and the mark schemes are SO specific. AQA continuously changes what they expect from you in the exams and thus revision guides become, according to the specimen, incorrect. However, the content is very interesting but it sure doesn't make up for all the stress you'll be having trying to adapt your answers to fit the insane mark schemes.
Probably should have made this clear - I would be re-sitting year 12 if I changed my courses, so the catch-up wouldn't be that bad.

I will definitely take what you said about AQA biology on board and will check to see which board the college uses, thanks for that
Emily2001x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think if you are capable of doing then go for it but make sure you are 100% certain. Can I also add that Edexcel A (Salters Nuffield) is extremely specific with mark schemes so much so that at least 15 people dropped it in second year as it was that bad. Because of this my college changed to Edequas (I have spelt this wrong I think, I apologise) and students have found it easier.
A Verde
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily2001x)
I think if you are capable of doing then go for it but make sure you are 100% certain. Can I also add that Edexcel A (Salters Nuffield) is extremely specific with mark schemes so much so that at least 15 people dropped it in second year as it was that bad. Because of this my college changed to Edequas (I have spelt this wrong I think, I apologise) and students have found it easier.
Yeah, tbh I'm not 100% sure yet. Ive always had my heart set on Business as a career since GCSE but now I'm just not sure. it's beginning to get boring and my other levels were just to fill the gaps.

And since I love food and cooking, and remember being really interested in biology lessons in year 11, I figured that maybe I've taken the wrong path.

Thanks for your opinion
aregularteen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ineedhelpsohelp)
Is it that bad? i want to take a science for A-levels but i'm not sure on which one. Definately not physics and by the looks of it i dont think i want to do biology anymore. What exam board do u do for chem and how r u finding it?
Emily2001x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah you don't want to do something that you don't enjoy. Have you looked into dietetics?
A Verde
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily2001x)
Yeah you don't want to do something that you don't enjoy. Have you looked into dietetics?
Haven't really looked into it but will do now, thanks
Emily2001x
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by A Verde)
Haven't really looked into it but will do now, thanks
That might be a route for you and should be achievable with the a levels that you wish to change to.
A Verde
Rep:
?
(Original post by CozyBrodie)
Just want to point out that unless you get 3 A*s and have a fabulous personal statement even then Oxbridge probably won’t take you because they don’t like resists and that is what you would be classed as.
Surely there would be some understanding? I mean, it's not like I would be re-sitting my course because of bad grades or anything like that. I'd be re-sitting the year because I took the wrong path in my course choices. (Plus the sixth form environment is not right for me, if I were to change I would be going to college instead).

would Oxbridge not understand this?
A Verde
Rep:
?
(Original post by CozyBrodie)
I had a friend who did what you did and Cambridge basically said that she came of as “confused”on what degree to do because she changed subjects even though she met the grades. She did get into a top 10 university though!Oxbridge are very harsh, you have to keep in mind that there is UK applications, overseas applications and they also scout people when they are younger - eg. 14 years old. Also lots of people get in with more than 3 A-levels, My friends brother got 5 A* and got into Oxford. I’m taking 5 A-levels but don’t what that pressure on me so I won’t be applying! My best friend is taking 5 A-Levels and 2 GCSEs and wants to go.
At the end of the day don’t think of oxbridge as heaven, your degree is way more important than the university!
Okay thanks for the info and your opinion
ineedhelpsohelp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by aregularteen)
Is it that bad? i want to take a science for A-levels but i'm not sure on which one. Definately not physics and by the looks of it i dont think i want to do biology anymore. What exam board do u do for chem and how r u finding it?
Sorry for the late response. I'm taking AQA chemistry. It's pretty chill If you've got a teacher with experience and honestly the people saying it's hard are lying to you. If you put in the work you'll be just fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads