The Student Room Group

Schools reopening in a couple weeks??

Just saw copious amounts of articles saying that it's highly likely that schools will reopen in a couple weeks time (if safe). The GOV have apparently said that one of the very first measures of relaxing the lockdown will be sending us back to school - HOW IS THIS SAFE?!?! Surely if we open schools in the next few weeks then the coronavirus could have an even greater chance of spreading, especially when you have 1,300 students in your school like ours!!

Thoughts?
Maybe at the start of June, if things have began to settle then they could open. Shutting schools isn’t super effective, it’s useful for around the peak, but with lower levels of infection, not so much. And until kids can go back to school, many businesses can’t begin to reopen. I get where you’re coming from, maybe a month at the earliest if things go well.
Remember that many schools have not closed entirely.

But is it plausible that we could see primary schools reopen before secondary, on the grounds students at the latter can generally safely mind themselves at home for hours while their parents go back to work?

I feel that the return of "whole school learning" in secondary schools is still very distant.
Original post by Justvisited
Remember that many schools have not closed entirely.

But is it plausible that we could see primary schools reopen before secondary, on the grounds students at the latter can generally safely mind themselves at home for hours while their parents go back to work?

I feel that the return of "whole school learning" in secondary schools is still very distant.

What about colleges/sixth forms?
Original post by DanaH111
Maybe at the start of June, if things have began to settle then they could open. Shutting schools isn’t super effective, it’s useful for around the peak, but with lower levels of infection, not so much. And until kids can go back to school, many businesses can’t begin to reopen. I get where you’re coming from, maybe a month at the earliest if things go well.

yeah - i was kinda hoping to have a mini glow up with the time we have off but i guess that won't happen ahahah!
Reply 5
There's many possibilities, I think 2 options are most likely. Either the end of May/start of June, or from September. If school does open in summer than of course there is no need for yr 11s and 13s to go, so there is already less students attending. But the truth is everything speculation right now and we just have to wait and see, this virus is gonna get worse before getting better.
Original post by Nobody7
There's many possibilities, I think 2 options are most likely. Either the end of May/start of June, or from September. If school does open in summer than of course there is no need for yr 11s and 13s to go, so there is already less students attending. But the truth is everything speculation right now and we just have to wait and see, this virus is gonna get worse before getting better.

Yeah true, I hope start of September lol
Sacrificing virgins is a traditional way of trying to appease angry gods, so maybe re-opening the schools soon is a good idea...
I don't think it will happen. I think another 2 months minimum. If I recall, Japan started lifting some restrictions, and cases in Tokyo starting rocketing immediately.
Original post by NonIndigenous
I don't think it will happen. I think another 2 months minimum. If I recall, Japan started lifting some restrictions, and cases in Tokyo starting rocketing immediately.

Yeah. I just think if they’ve banned gatherings of more than 2 people in public but then reopen schools where THOUSANDS of people will be in one area at a time and it’ll spread like wildfire.
I cannot see that happening, even though the government was very late in closing schools to all but the children of key workers. I expect it could be June or even later.
Original post by anonymous11123xo
Just saw copious amounts of articles saying that it's highly likely that schools will reopen in a couple weeks time (if safe). The GOV have apparently said that one of the very first measures of relaxing the lockdown will be sending us back to school - HOW IS THIS SAFE?!?! Surely if we open schools in the next few weeks then the coronavirus could have an even greater chance of spreading, especially when you have 1,300 students in your school like ours!!

Thoughts?

''Apparently''
There is no certainty, another article stated normal life will only resume after 18 months. No details have opened yet plus I think it won't be a few weeks if they have ultimately cancelled exams meant for June...
Plus we had our biggest jump yet today...
Even if children dont get it much, sooooo many kids have asthma and breathing problems, parents need to go out to pick up and drop off children and whos gonna teach the millions of children if not adults? It truly does not make sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending