Kitty Vs Lockdown - 2nd year physicist

Watch
Arctic Kitten
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I have been procrastinating for the last few weeks since the lockdown, while having a lot of stuff to do, so I decided maybe constant logging of my activity might help!

What I have to do is:

Read book + revision + doing past paper for:

- Thermal Physics
- Thermodynamics
- Kinetic Theory

- Electromagnetism
- Optics
- Electronics (very short)

- Quantum Mechanics (very long)

Two computing programs to write

A presentation on a topic I have yet to choose

I aim to do at least (each day)

- 5 chapter of a book (revision + questions)
- 2 past papers
- Do the programming stuff during weekends

Also, I will limit myself to reading 2 chapters of fiction books, and read at least 1 chapter of non-fiction!

Wish me luck!
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Good luck Arctic Kitten!

What university do you go to? Also, any tips for A-Level Physics?
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Good luck Arctic Kitten!

What university do you go to? Also, any tips for A-Level Physics?
Thank you! Also, I'm going to Oxford
My tips are just to practice a lot of past papers, I did all I can find (I did Edexcel, so adding up old syllabus papers and International A level it comes to roughly 250 papers!) and do them multiple times! The trick is to learn the mark scheme. Many (if not most) questions are repeated, so as long as you learn the mark scheme, you will get full mark every time. And because I repeated the paper multiple times, they really get hammered into my brain.
Last edited by Arctic Kitten; 6 months ago
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Arctic Kitten)
Thank you! Also, I'm going to Oxford
My tips are just to practice a lot of past papers, I did all I can find (I did Edexcel, so adding up old syllabus papers and International A level it comes to roughly 250 papers!) and do them multiple times! The trick is to learn the mark scheme. Many (if not most) questions are repeated, so as long as you learn the mark scheme, you will get full mark every time. And because I repeated the paper multiple times, they really get hammered into my brain.
Thank you for the advice!
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So a new term has come, and that means lots of things to do!

For this term (Trinity term), my overall theme is going to be 'dopamine detox'. I want to stop using social media, using the internet, phone and computer as much as possible, to make studying more enjoyable and set a working mood. I feel like this lockdown has turned me into a YouTube and Reddit addict, I can spend a whole day on those sites. The worse thing is I'm still in halls, can't go back home, so there's no one for me to talk with, and to stop me from binge-watching YouTube...
Thus I'll be trying my best to stop these activities and resume my 'work mode' which is long long long lost now

Moving on to the actual planning, this term I have 40 lectures to go through. I aim to do the usual 3 lectures a day (in the afternoon) and try to finish them in the first month of the term. I also have a presentation in Week 3, which I have yet to start (oh my goodness).

I will try to check my phone 3 times a day, at 6:30 am and pm, and once at 12 calling my parents.

Week 1 study plan

Spoiler:
Show

Monday:
- Exam paper (3 hours),
- 2 lectures
Tuesday:
- Homework,
- 2 lectures
Wednesday:
- Finishing HW,
- 3 lectures
Thursday:
- Tutorial,
- 4 lectures
Friday:
- 4 lectures
- Presentation plan
Saturday:
- Revision
Sunday:
- Detox, cleaning, and laundry.
- Plan for next week.

Lecture count: 15/40

Week 1 food plan
Spoiler:
Show

Monday:
- Bacon porridge
- Chinese garlic aubergines and rice
- Start a sourdough starter
Tuesday:
- mozzarella salad
- Steak Frites
Wednesday:
- Sausage
- Chicken soup
Thursday:
- mozzarella salad
- Use the discard sourdough starter to make pizza
Friday:
- Sausage
- Steak Frites
Saturday + Sunday:
- Something nice from deliveroo?
- Bake some sourdough bread
- Maybe fettuccini alfredo

Well, I'm going to bed now... Due to the silly thing that is summer time, my head gets all messed up, so I'm going to bed at 10ish now and wake up at 6 bloody am.
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
I have not been sleeping and eating properly recently. I have tried to work according to a schedule, but the workload just makes every plan fell to dust. Too much stuff to do, and not enough time. I will have my presentation next week, and I'm really nervous. I feel like I'm not working hard enough, while sometimes feel exhausted.
Well at least I'm working quite to plan. Not finished my lectures recording yet, but it's having good progress. Hopefully next week will be better.
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
Just finished my last lecture in Quantum Mechanics! Whew, that was long. There were a few bits that I find not quite clear yet, such as Transition rate, Fermi Golden rule, and Parity operation in Selection rules, but overall it was quite good, and I find the lecture is quite clear. The next problem set I have has only 5 questions, and given that I have finished all the lectures now, I should be able to finish them hopefully by tonight.
I will start my short option lecture tomorrow maybe. I'm thinking astrophysics, but there are 2 and I have not yet decided. Using Python to modelling COVID-19 rate seems very interesting as well, so I think I can do it if I have time. Maybe do it now, and use the short option for next year exam?
Today is quite a good day. Though I have my mock presentation soon, so I'm a bit nervous. I'm not a great speaker and tend to get nervous when I'm on camera.
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
It was actually going quite well, the mock presentation. Writing presentation scripts is always a good thing to do.
Recently, I kinda want to start a youtube channel, mainly to improve the editing skills that I have left to rot. Though Adobe is extortionately expensive, I really want to give it a go.
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
I have been dreaming a lot lately, vivid dream that I decided to ignore and forget. I was in a small room, it was cold and the floor is made of glossy ceramic that is cool to the touch. The room was dark, but once I got out, I was hit with dazzling light, and someone was there, sitting on a balcony, chatting happily about something. They were selling something. I joined the conversation. I was familiar with them.
It feels like the dream is very familiar. I must have the same kind of dream dozens of time, over the course of ten years. They were adventurous and mysterious, they were interesting and vivid. I hate them because they always end in a tragedy, but I yearn for them, for the adventure I don't dare to take, and the love I won't ever have.
I died a lot in my dream. People died a lot in my dream actually. The first dream I was able to remember, is one in which my grandparents got killed by a thief. I have a dream where I and my friends died repeatedly, in a vicious cycle of a neverending nightmare, that luckily we solved.
I am feeding the pigeons outside my windows with pizza crumbs. I know, we are not supposed to feed them, but hearing the knocking sound from outside the window on a sunny morning, is a great feeling to have.
My onions are growing well, and my Chinese leaves seem to be happy. Pak Choi is kinda getting there, and no sign of growing from the celery. I will give the celery bit more time, hopefully, it'll be alright.
I want to buy a spray paint bottle, and spray everything, but I don't have a place in my room to do that safely. But I really want to have another colour in my life. really.
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
I cooked something good
I did not do anything.
Well
It was an ok day
Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Arctic Kitten
Rep:
?
It was a happy day! It's sunny outside, and I have finished my presentation perfectly! Which means time for revision thoughhhh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.1%
I'm not sure (8)
2.74%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.25%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (133)
45.55%

Watched Threads