JohnMiller711
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Linux will be coming out for mobile soon, by that i mean fully fledged desktop Linux on mobile, pretty different to Ubuntu touch or alike, will anybody be buying the pine phone or librem
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope already have a phone
JohnMiller711
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Nope already have a phone
one of the main reasons is privacy and control over your data which neither android or ios offer, android it can be done but there may be hardware faults so hence linux phones which come with kill switches cause everyone knows certain games and apps spy on ur microphone camera etc
1st superstar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohnMiller711)
one of the main reasons is privacy and control over your data which neither android or ios offer, android it can be done but there may be hardware faults so hence linux phones which come with kill switches cause everyone knows certain games and apps spy on ur microphone camera etc
I see tbh this is the kind of phone parents should be giving their kids rather than buying them the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy... but what will the phone itself do? What will the camera be like etc
JohnMiller711
Rep:
?
I see tbh this is the kind of phone parents should be giving their kids rather than buying them the latest iPhone or Samsung Galaxy... but what will the phone itself do? What will the camera be like etc
atm the pinephone is 150 quid, the camera isn't that good, the speed isn't all that, but what matters is its running a desktop in a phone furthermore, it uses PC like components, so is a first off in history, since it isn't using conventional phone hardware, it will be safer for our kids to not be spied on with every letter and screen touch, as well as everywhere you go is tracked, on Linux phone you will not be able to do so unless you install something whereas ios and android have it by default
1st superstar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
atm the pinephone is 150 quid, the camera isn't that good, the speed isn't all that, but what matters is its running a desktop in a phone furthermore, it uses PC like components, so is a first off in history, since it isn't using conventional phone hardware, it will be safer for our kids to not be spied on with every letter and screen touch, as well as everywhere you go is tracked, on Linux phone you will not be able to do so unless you install something whereas ios and android have it by default
Ah then that’s great then
JohnMiller711
Rep:
?
Ah then that’s great then
indeed
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it uses PC like components, so is a first off in history, since it isn't using conventional phone hardware,
Me when reading this:
Oh hey, this sounds kinda neat.

*Actually looks at the phone specs*
Welp... Looks like OP fell for some clever marketing cause I can't see a single true statement in that quote.

PC-like components? Nope, not really. Nothing out of the ordinary for a phone here bar the bootable Micro SD (even then, I'm not sure if that's just because it's a feature I don't look for or what), although the fact that 'vibrator' is listed as part of the specifications gave me a good giggle.

First off in history? Even if it were using PC-like components, no, it wouldn't. Intel tried that route with x86 SOCs, they just couldn't compete with ARM-based offerings. Nvidia also released SOCs which had GPUs which used the same architecture their Desktop/Laptop GPUs did. Certainly wouldn't be a first by any stretch.

Isn't using conventional phone hardware? The fact that it isn't using the usual Snapdragon/Adreno combo is about as unconventional as it gets. Special shoutout to the Mali 400, a GPU I haven't seen used for... God, must be getting on for about 5 years now? Were you trying to say it uses outdated phone hardware?
JohnMiller711
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Me when reading this:
Oh hey, this sounds kinda neat.

*Actually looks at the phone specs*
Welp... Looks like OP fell for some clever marketing cause I can't see a single true statement in that quote.

PC-like components? Nope, not really. Nothing out of the ordinary for a phone here bar the bootable Micro SD (even then, I'm not sure if that's just because it's a feature I don't look for or what), although the fact that 'vibrator' is listed as part of the specifications gave me a good giggle.

First off in history? Even if it were using PC-like components, no, it wouldn't. Intel tried that route with x86 SOCs, they just couldn't compete with ARM-based offerings. Nvidia also released SOCs which had GPUs which used the same architecture their Desktop/Laptop GPUs did. Certainly wouldn't be a first by any stretch.

Isn't using conventional phone hardware? The fact that it isn't using the usual Snapdragon/Adreno combo is about as unconventional as it gets. Special shoutout to the Mali 400, a GPU I haven't seen used for... God, must be getting on for about 5 years now? Were you trying to say it uses outdated phone hardware?
sorry rly crap phrasing, it is the first computer build running on a phone officially, with compatibility, the librem and pinephone should allow Linux distros and builds to run on a phone and it also has kill switches which are very cool, atm though the corona is stopping them from being shipped and causing big delays, but its a tough, im not super into development so i don't know what the issues are but ive heard to get it to work with PC stuff isn't easy so i look forward and hope linux phones will become a norm if they are convenient enough. edit : and yh the hardware is old af since its a fairly small company and they want to ship lots of phones so they wouldn't go for newer more expensive hardware and they need some profit to keep the project rolling, kinda like a raspberry pi cheap but functional
Last edited by JohnMiller711; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (129)
42.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
14.95%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (121)
40.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (6)
1.99%

Watched Threads