Would people treat a 20 year old fresher (2 gap years) differently?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all, so I've just got a simple question really. At uni, would people treat someone who is 20 years old at the start of the term any differently? Perhaps like they're mature and should be more responsible or something? Would girls who are 18/19 feel weird about starting a relationship with a 20 year old guy? Reason I'm asking is because I took a gap year just to make money but cause of corona virus I am now considering taking a 2nd gap year because the situation is stressing me out, however I wouldn't really want all the other freshers to treat me differently cause of it.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not in the slightest.

People will only make it a big deal if you act weird about it.

I went to uni at 25. No one cared.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 5 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Not in the slightest.

People will only make it a big deal if you act weird about it.

I went to uni at 25. No one cared.
Would you say people would expect you to do something big or exciting if you took 2 gap years? If I do take this 2nd gap year it will most likely just be another year of working in fast food lol. So if someone asks me what I did on my 2 gap years I'll just be like "I worked in McDonalds". Is that normal?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all, so I've just got a simple question really. At uni, would people treat someone who is 20 years old at the start of the term any differently? Perhaps like they're mature and should be more responsible or something? Would girls who are 18/19 feel weird about starting a relationship with a 20 year old guy? Reason I'm asking is because I took a gap year just to make money but cause of corona virus I am now considering taking a 2nd gap year because the situation is stressing me out, however I wouldn't really want all the other freshers to treat me differently cause of it.
Gap years are common and students start uni at different ages. At 20, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. In terms of starting a relationship with someone who is one or two years younger - if the two of you are compatible and both like each other, the small age gap shouldn't pose a problem.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
I’m about to start uni at 20, I’m born early in the academic year. Not only could I not give less of a damn what people think of my age, I also didn’t even think it was a thing and not does anyone. You’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do
Golubsti
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
No one cares how old you are as long as you bring some alcohol you are fine.
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 5 months ago
Heya. I started uni at 21, and one of my flat mates at my accommodation was 21 as well. Its honestly not a a big deal unless you make it. I never had an issue with age, it was more to do with having the same intrests as my flat mates(thats what will help you make friends and bring you closer) on the other hand,if things don't work out with your flat mates(if you live in accommodation) its no big deal as you can make friends in your course and societies etc.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
They won’t know you’re 20 unless you tell them.
lak19
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Absolutely not, i started my 2nd degree last sept when i was 21, and my course friend group ranges from 18-26, and my flatmates ages range from 19-28. As far as im concerned its actually the minority that are 18 and straight from school although obviously depends on the course and uni etc
Zaynnn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
fam everyone was older than me in uni lol i don't think you understand how old the average student is. You'll be the youngest there
Anonymous #3
Report 5 months ago
there was a 26 year old man on my college course, so no lol
safari24
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Would you say people would expect you to do something big or exciting if you took 2 gap years? If I do take this 2nd gap year it will most likely just be another year of working in fast food lol. So if someone asks me what I did on my 2 gap years I'll just be like "I worked in McDonalds". Is that normal?
Most likely at uni it won’t take long for you to realise that you’re caring too much about what other people think
>Username<
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Not in the slightest. People may mention it now and again. But no different to someone mentioning where someone was from.

From my experience, across different courses, the majority of people had taken a gap year or 2/3 years. And there's nothing wrong with working in fast food then going... I guess if you had some top level job, then you wouldn't be going to university, and neither would anyone else lol!

There's a lot of people who start doing their course at 18 and decide the course isn't for them... And do another course at the same university. I get why you're worried but honestly... No one will care. And you definitely won't be the only one by any means.

In terms of relationships people won't care. Some may, I can't say for everyone. But from my experience there were already people dating people who were older when I started university...

Hope this helps.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My sister took a gap year and has a birthday in September so she was 20 in her first year of uni as well, I actually think it made things better for her as the year she took out meant she built up her confidence via jobs etc so her anxiety wasn't as bad. She doesn't regret being a bit older, in terms of making friends and meeting people it doesn't make any difference.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 5 months ago
Ja78975-Junaid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’m about to start uni at 20, I’m born early in the academic year. Not only could I not give less of a damn what people think of my age, I also didn’t even think it was a thing and not does anyone. You’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do
Same here, I'm hoping to start this year at 20. I took a gap year though..
Last edited by Ja78975-Junaid; 5 months ago
Anonymous #4
Report 5 months ago
when will you be turning 21? in first year of first term?

I will be in the same boat
Anonymous #5
Report 1 month ago
as someone who started uni at 17 I can tell you I couldn't care less. No one will be able to tell if you are 20 or 19/18, and there is virtually no difference between an 18/19 and a 20-year-old. so if a second gap year works for you you should def take it. however, uni courses are going ahead and if you have nothing planned it might be worth it to do your course anyway - while it is disappointing that it'll mostly be online, you cannot guarantee that next year will be any different.
RemiMarcelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No you'll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (49)
24.62%
Less motivated (150)
75.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed