The Student Room Group

What you wish people understood about depression?

Would like to open up a discussion.

1. When did u first realise you had depression? What were the signs?
2. What is it like to have depression?
3. What you wish people understood about depression?

Would be grateful if you answer, you will be so brave and helping people understand more!!
I had a friend with depression at school and the one thing I wish people understood is it's not as simple as going to the GP to get antidepressants, people with depression dont even think they deserve help. It's why it's so difficult to overcome
I started feeling depressed during the back end of Year 11 but really got it bad during sixth form. Symptoms wise I was crying a lot, feeling guilty, pushing people away, had no appetite, was struggling to sleep, had a lot of headaches, self harmed and dealt with suicidal ideation.

Obviously, depression sucks. But it's not as glamourous or tragically romantic as the media like to make out. In reality it's dull, underwhelming, like the lights have gone out. It's being grey. It's desperately wanting help but not thinking you deserve it, it's refusing to believe anyone cares so pushing people away because once they find out what a mess you are, what a horrible person you are, they'll leave anyway, right? Might as well cut them off now so it hurts less later on. My depression physically manifested itself as a heavy feeling in my chest, like I'm finding it hard to breathe.

I wish people understood that you don't have to have an awful childhood or traumatic experience in order to have depression, that literally anyone get can it. I also wish the government would actually give a **** about people with mental illness and start investing in services - it's okay trying to raise all this awareness but without resources, there's never going to be enough help out there for everyone. The words don't mean anything unless you actually do something about it. And I wish that people with depression knew that you have to put the effort in to get better, no magic pill is going to save you, you have to take a risk, be honest and speak about how you feel no matter how scary it may be. You have to put your trust in that person.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest