Best degree for going into business?

Watch
jorjafreija
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Somewhat) hypothetically - if one was planning to go into a business career & own/run their own business after uni (perhaps not immediately after but not 15 years after either), what would be the best degree to take? Especially at a top uni, eg Oxbridge? This may be a stupid question but i haven’t seen any business-named courses at Oxbridge?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jorjafreija)
(Somewhat) hypothetically - if one was planning to go into a business career & own/run their own business after uni (perhaps not immediately after but not 15 years after either), what would be the best degree to take? Especially at a top uni, eg Oxbridge? This may be a stupid question but i haven’t seen any business-named courses at Oxbridge?
Cambridge offers Management Studies as a Part II (third year only) course. Oxford offers Economics & Management.

That said you don't need to have studied business or management or anything specific to go into the business sector generally. Most graduates didn't study business or management, and most graduates don't go into a field specifically related to their degree, so it stands to reason a signifcant proportion of successful applicants to business oriented grad schemes and roles will have done degrees in whatever happened to most interest them (e.g. history, anthropology, physics, whatever).

For entrepreneurship specifically there isn't any specific benefit any particular degree will give you - you need to have an idea for a business, and the personal and professional administrative skills to pull that off. No degree teaches that specifically, but all degrees to some extent will develop those through the transferable skills they instill you with. That said a degree isn't necessary to have a good idea and execute it, and many entrepreneurs don't have a degree. For some sectors (e.g. technology and computing) however, a degree may give you the tools needed to execute your idea (or possibly the necessary background to understand whether your idea is even possible).

Just study whatever you enjoy most, it won't make a difference unless you want to go into e.g. clinical professions/engineering/academia, in which case a particular degree would be required.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
Ninjasrule
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with artful_lounger. There's no specific degree for going into business so you're better off finding a course that will teach you something you're interested in and enjoy which you could then later apply to your business, maybe something in a creative field?
Anyway, I'd suggest looking into universities that have business-type clubs. My university has a business case cracking club (we go on to national level competitions for these) and a start-up club but I'm studying in Thailand. I'm sure there are similar clubs and societies in the UK though.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
what business? you want to be a fashion designer? computer programmer? sole practitioner? dermatologist?

there is no degree for opening a business and you don't need one. in fact i'd say a 'business' degree would be useless to you, because when you open a business you are selling a service, not your degree.

also moved your thread to the Careers forum :goodluck:
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most entrepreneurs don't strictly use their degree for the "business" aspect of their business. If you think of people like Musk or Bezos as successful examples, they both did engineering/CS and used that education and experience to build up their respective products/services - rather than the other way round of being educated in managing businesses, which doesn't help you in actually creating the foundation and core products of the business.
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi - hoping I can offer some advice.

Just to echo some of the advice already on this thread - whilst having a degree in business management or business admin would be helpful in the general understanding of managing a business, when running your own business your skills, knowledge and experience of a specific product or industry could be just as useful.

It would be great to hear more about your ideas for your business as this in turn may help you pick your degree subject. Useful degrees could be; finance/accounting, I.T and marketing but having a degree in business or related subject doesn't guarantee your success.

Hope to hear back from you in the near future.

Thanks - Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads