Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I had an argument with her because she was saying she wanted me to stop driving, she said she wants us both to eviromental friendly and use the bus. My whole family drive, apart from my girlfriend who is the only one that doesnt so when we are all leaving for our daily commute we leave at the same time as her so we all getting in our cars then shes walking to get the bus stop Ive not asked her but I dont know how she doesnt feel left out about doing that. I know her colleagues at work who I think most of them drive as well, I walked with her to work once, I walked to the end of the road which was long, her colleagues were all on the road driving straight passed us while we were and my gilfriend was waving.

Obviously she doesnt drive or hold a licence which is fine I guess, I dont know how she doesnt feel left out its so annoying that shes trying to get me to stop driving which really got on my nerves. She was on about enviroment saying she wants us both to save it, save the planet and loads of other bull. If she wants to save enviroment she can on her own so I told her that, she kept saying "Im your girlfriend so do what I say" no Im not letting her ruin my life and take advantage of me. I need driving for my career, I worked so hard to pass my test and everything. I just told her theres no way Im going to stop and then we argued. Most of the time she getts what she wants from me but Im not letting her im this sitution. Last night I just slept downstairs, she slept in my room, I just walked out of our room and said "You can save enviroment, not drive, be the only one who doesnt but Im carrying on with driving" then slammed the door. I was sick of her telling me to do that because she was doing it all evening.
Tsranonymous123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I had an argument with her because she was saying she wanted me to stop driving, she said she wants us both to eviromental friendly and use the bus. My whole family drive, apart from my girlfriend who is the only one that doesnt so when we are all leaving for our daily commute we leave at the same time as her so we all getting in our cars then shes walking to get the bus stop Ive not asked her but I dont know how she doesnt feel left out about doing that. I know her colleagues at work who I think most of them drive as well, I walked with her to work once, I walked to the end of the road which was long, her colleagues were all on the road driving straight passed us while we were and my gilfriend was waving.

Obviously she doesnt drive or hold a licence which is fine I guess, I dont know how she doesnt feel left out its so annoying that shes trying to get me to stop driving which really got on my nerves. She was on about enviroment saying she wants us both to save it, save the planet and loads of other bull. If she wants to save enviroment she can on her own so I told her that, she kept saying "Im your girlfriend so do what I say" no Im not letting her ruin my life and take advantage of me. I need driving for my career, I worked so hard to pass my test and everything. I just told her theres no way Im going to stop and then we argued. Most of the time she getts what she wants from me but Im not letting her im this sitution. Last night I just slept downstairs, she slept in my room, I just walked out of our room and said "You can save enviroment, not drive, be the only one who doesnt but Im carrying on with driving" then slammed the door. I was sick of her telling me to do that because she was doing it all evening.
I know saving the planet and all that is important but honestly if you don’t wanna give up driving then don’t. If someone asked me to I definitely would not. Just tell her and make sure she knows there’s no way you can change her mind. How long have you been together?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
*shrug* Just break up. "I'm your girlfriend so do what I say" would be the point i'd start laughing.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
*shrug* Just break up.
If she doesnt get it into her head that Im not stopping driving that will probably be an option
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tsranonymous123)
I know saving the planet and all that is important but honestly if you don’t wanna give up driving then don’t. If someone asked me to I definitely would not. Just tell her and make sure she knows there’s no way you can change her mind. How long have you been together?
Ive offerd to buy an electric car next. Ive told her Im not stopping but shes arguing. Weve been together since june 2019 so nearly a year now
Anonymous #1
*shrug* Just break up. "I'm your girlfriend so do what I say" would be the point i'd start laughing.
Thats the point when I started to get angry when she said that
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thats the point when I started to get angry when she said that
If I thought they were actually serious i'd end it there and then and she would be walking home right now, why on earth would I tolerate that attitude for even 1 second? The car isn't the problem, she is.
Anonymous #1
Who would you say is in the right?
Anonymous #1
If I thought they were actually serious i'd end it there and then and she would be walking home right now, why on earth would I tolerate that attitude for even 1 second? The car isn't the problem, she is.
I know, I would kick her out but we are on lockdown
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I know, I would kick her out but we are on lockdown
I don't think that would stop me, buy them a tent.

If you don't want to get kicked out the safe place you were welcome but have 0 legal right to remain in, don't make life miserable for the others.
Tsranonymous123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Who would you say is in the right?
I would say he is in the right. I get that she wants to be environmentally friendly but if she’s saying to him ‘I’m your girlfriend do as I say’ that is a big big red flag. Being someone’s partner doesn’t give you the right to tell them what they have to do. If a man wants to drive he wants to drive and that’s all there is to it in my opinion.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Meerkat alert!
Anonymous #1
I don't think that would stop me, buy them a tent.

If you don't want to get kicked out the safe place you were welcome but have 0 legal right to remain in, don't make life miserable for the others.
Its her who Id kick out, we are living with my parents
Anonymous #1
I would say he is in the right. I get that she wants to be environmentally friendly but if she’s saying to him ‘I’m your girlfriend do as I say’ that is a big big red flag. Being someone’s partner doesn’t give you the right to tell them what they have to do. If a man wants to drive he wants to drive and that’s all there is to it in my opinion.
I know thats why I got mad
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Meerkat alert!
What does that mean?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What does that mean?
Meerkats are very alert creatures, good at spotting things.
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago

I think this is one of the most toxic things I’ve ever read. She’s either jealous or thinks her opinion on something should control you. Get rid of her whilst you still can. This is even worse than those people who force their partners and children to be vegetarian. Controlling manipulative behaviour
Anonymous #3
Report 6 months ago
You are a drop in the ocean of cars, I know the argument is if everyone stoped then we would be a tidal wave, but that simply wont happen. Perhaps suggest lift sharing with your colleagues, if they contribute petrol money you save money and take idk 3 cars off the road everyday and thus have a bigger effect.

if you girlfriend is that interested in the planet, does she know that is everyone went veggie for a day it would be better than not using all the cars. Vegan is worse due to intensively farmed soya. Perhaps, she loves new clothes or washes them a tad too regular, this is also bad. Or maybe she gets a new phone every year, the obsoleteness of products also contributes to the destruction of the world. Does she pay attention to the food miles on her food? There are so many ways to give back to the world than just stop using the car, maybe 1 car is better for the family and encourages her to walk because she doesn't have access to it, but certainly if you go visiting family or on holiday a car is useful.

Suggest a trade off, that you will, ensure your clothes are acc dirty before washing them, or buy less clothes, shop locally, eat less meat, consume less milk, only replace technology when it actually needs replacing, take shorter showers. Your girlfriend should be up to doing these thing because she asking you to give up something you have known forever and I'm sure she has done some of these things forever. Plus if she respects you she will be willing to have a discussion with you and perhaps compromise and you can meet some other targets. If she forces her ideas and opinions on you it shows toxic behaviour and lack of respect and I'll leave you to know how you feel about this.

Most method mentioned above save money as an added bonus and I think an electric car is a great idea. Car sharing is also fab and gets multiple cars of the road and if she isnt happy with that she is a major red flag
Anonymous #1
I think this is one of the most toxic things I’ve ever read. She’s either jealous or thinks her opinion on something should control you. Get rid of her whilst you still can. This is even worse than those people who force their partners and children to be vegetarian. Controlling manipulative behaviour
I ditch her tbh, shes still being unreasable and she said shell sell my car
Anonymous #1
You are a drop in the ocean of cars, I know the argument is if everyone stoped then we would be a tidal wave, but that simply wont happen. Perhaps suggest lift sharing with your colleagues, if they contribute petrol money you save money and take idk 3 cars off the road everyday and thus have a bigger effect.

if you girlfriend is that interested in the planet, does she know that is everyone went veggie for a day it would be better than not using all the cars. Vegan is worse due to intensively farmed soya. Perhaps, she loves new clothes or washes them a tad too regular, this is also bad. Or maybe she gets a new phone every year, the obsoleteness of products also contributes to the destruction of the world. Does she pay attention to the food miles on her food? There are so many ways to give back to the world than just stop using the car, maybe 1 car is better for the family and encourages her to walk because she doesn't have access to it, but certainly if you go visiting family or on holiday a car is useful.

Suggest a trade off, that you will, ensure your clothes are acc dirty before washing them, or buy less clothes, shop locally, eat less meat, consume less milk, only replace technology when it actually needs replacing, take shorter showers. Your girlfriend should be up to doing these thing because she asking you to give up something you have known forever and I'm sure she has done some of these things forever. Plus if she respects you she will be willing to have a discussion with you and perhaps compromise and you can meet some other targets. If she forces her ideas and opinions on you it shows toxic behaviour and lack of respect and I'll leave you to know how you feel about this.

Most method mentioned above save money as an added bonus and I think an electric car is a great idea. Car sharing is also fab and gets multiple cars of the road and if she isnt happy with that she is a major red flag
She thinks cars are the only thing that ruins the planet or she acts like that.

Im not goin to car share but I might get an electric car next when I can afford one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads