The Student Room Group

I want to start working out

I am so unfit and when I work out my limbs are already starting to hurt and I'm breathless easily. How do I working out intensively and how do I overcome these problems asap?
thank you
Reply 1
If you are new to working out its best to start with little and often.

you can also incorporate it into your daily routine. For example, instead of walking up the stairs, run up them and make sure not to miss any step :smile: Doing this throughout the day will help you to keep active without realising it.

Theres also good workouts you can follow on instagram and on youtube.Additionally you could try to go for a short jog/ run a few times a week. Start with a short distance or even intervals of short sprints and then over time increase the distance you're running as you find it easier.

I think my biggest tip would to be not to over do it so early on as you could cause damage instead.
Original post by xozxexo
If you are new to working out its best to start with little and often.

you can also incorporate it into your daily routine. For example, instead of walking up the stairs, run up them and make sure not to miss any step :smile: Doing this throughout the day will help you to keep active without realising it.

Theres also good workouts you can follow on instagram and on youtube.Additionally you could try to go for a short jog/ run a few times a week. Start with a short distance or even intervals of short sprints and then over time increase the distance you're running as you find it easier.

I think my biggest tip would to be not to over do it so early on as you could cause damage instead.

Thank you sooo much :h:
I use an app (8fit) for exercises (I’m also really unfit after stopping my workout routine for over a year) and I also plan what exercises I do a week, giving myself 2 days of nothing and 2 days of milder exercise (other 3 days is the app). This app helped me lose a lot of weight in 2017/18 and it got me a lot fitter, works great if you combine it with other exercise.

This is important for me as it gives my muscles time to repair but still keeping active to a degree, I’d recommend doing the same at least until you get stronger. You need to let your body to recover before doing the same intensive exercises or you risk injuring yourself.
I started going on a run 5-6 days a week. First week I went around my local park once and this week, started going around twice as my fitness is getting better. I also lift weights but as gyms aren’t open I use body weight exercises and resistance bands (which are cheap). I do
Monday - arm day
Tuesday - abs and circuit training
Wednesday - chest and shoulders
Thursday - hamstrings and glutes
Friday - back and biceps
Saturday - rest day
Sunday - leg day and abs
Run 5-6 times a week. 3 times a week is enough for a beginner.
Definitely don’t over do it as it leads to overtraining and injury. 3-4 time a week is enough exercise. And if you need inspiration, look on YouTube or Instagram at some workouts.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest