s4nezu6
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m having trouble understanding my distinction task for applied science in physics.
The task is : For each characteristic listed below explain what it is, include any equations used and evaluate the method to tell stars apart.
-luminosity
-apparent magnitude
-absolute magnitude
-black body radiation
-Wein’s law
-Stefan’s law
-absorption spectrum lines

Am I evaluating how each characteristic listed above is used to tell stars apart?
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by s4nezu6)
I’m having trouble understanding my distinction task for applied science in physics.
The task is : For each characteristic listed below explain what it is, include any equations used and evaluate the method to tell stars apart.
-luminosity
-apparent magnitude
-absolute magnitude
-black body radiation
-Wein’s law
-Stefan’s law
-absorption spectrum lines

Am I evaluating how each characteristic listed above is used to tell stars apart?
After you have defined the terms and dealt with any equations related to them, you have to discuss in what way they express the difference between different stars. Some tell you about what the star is made of, some their brightness, some their temperature, etc. I think it is this that they want you to be specfic about.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And while we're on the subject, you might find this useful - a free text book from the publisher Collins that covers everything you need to talk about.
s4nezu6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
And while we're on the subject, you might find this useful - a free text book from the publisher Collins that covers everything you need to talk about.
After you have defined the terms and dealt with any equations related to them, you have to discuss in what way they express the difference between different stars. Some tell you about what the star is made of, some their brightness, some their temperature, etc. I think it is this that they want you to be specfic about.
Thank you. How would I find information on how each characteristic expresses the difference between stars? Is there anything specific i should google?
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you. How would I find information on how each characteristic expresses the difference between stars? Is there anything specific i should google?
Once you have defined and described one of the terms, the characteristic of the star it is telling you about (and therefore how this characteristic varies between different stars) is obvious.

Pick one of them, define and explain it, and if you're still not sure how this tells stars apart, let us know.
s4nezu6
Rep:
?
Do I have to explain the advantages and disadvantages of how effective each characteristic is at telling stars apart? I've interpreted that way as it said to 'evaluate the methods' and I just don't understand how I would do this.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do I have to explain the advantages and disadvantages of how effective each characteristic is at telling stars apart? I've interpreted that way as it said to 'evaluate the methods' and I just don't understand how I would do this.
Yeah, it looks like it, but you probably don't need much detail, and the advantages and disadvantages should arise naturally from your descriptions.
s4nezu6
Rep:
?
Yeah, it looks like it, but you probably don't need much detail, and the advantages and disadvantages should arise naturally from your descriptions.
Okay, thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed