Online Masters in Artificial Intelligence

Watch
gargneeraj23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Anyone has any experience in online learning with University Of Bath for Computer Science or Artificial Intelligence or any similar field
void*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm starting the MSc in CS next month and currently doing induction - my experience so far has been great! Check out the webinars here for more info: https://www.gotostage.com/channel/un...nline-webinars. Also this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...3#post87612242.

The MSc in AI is new so you would be in the first cohort if you started it this September. The MSc in CS is pretty new too - it's only been running for a year so there aren't any graduates yet.
oscarb92
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello,

I have accepted an offer for the online Artificial Intelligence MSc from Bath. It starts in September and it is a new programme so there isn't any feedback available. I have been peeking into the thread re the CS MSc from Bath as a proxy to get some comments about the online experience with Bath and so far it seems very positive (thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...5868698&page=6)
lilnna3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by oscarb92)
Hello,

I have accepted an offer for the online Artificial Intelligence MSc from Bath. It starts in September and it is a new programme so there isn't any feedback available. I have been peeking into the thread re the CS MSc from Bath as a proxy to get some comments about the online experience with Bath and so far it seems very positive (thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...5868698&page=6)
Hi, I’m looking at the AI MSc course at the moment it looks really interesting! What made you choose it?
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just want to second that the webinar is very interesting/informative and answers most questions I had. Here's another link to it:

I managed to get an outline of the maths involved in the course as an overview:

Set Theory (common number sets, basic set theoretic operations)
Calculus (definite and indefinite integration; differentiation and integration of simple functions, polynomials and trigonometric functions; chain rule)
Linear Algebra (vector spaces and matrices; eigenvalues and eigenvectors; inversion of 2x2 matrices)
Probability and statistics (fundamentals; distribution; central limit theorem; random samples; understanding of Bayesian approach)
Multiple random variables (joint, marginal and conditional distribution; independence or conditional independence; covariance and correlation)
Rtfc
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is there anyone else here who is starting the Bath online MSc Artificial Intelligence in September?
palpo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm starting on Bath's online MSc Artificial Intelligence in September. Looking forward to meeting everyone else joining.
Bu Meera
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Deleted
Last edited by Bu Meera; 1 month ago
sosci
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you tell me how long the application process took?
Rtfc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It took about 4 weeks from submitting application to getting decision. That was back in June - I don't know if things are any faster now.
titan191
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm interested in this programme, but worried it might be too late to apply now.While waiting for a reply from Bath, a couple of questions for those of you who are in the first cohort starting next month:

1. Do you have an actual start date? If it's the end of Sept maybe I've got a chance of getting an offer before it starts
2. How was the induction process?

Any info much appreciated
Rtfc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The september cohort starts on 7th Sept. Already 90+ students so I don't know if there are any spaces left.
titan191
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rtfc)
The september cohort starts on 7th Sept. Already 90+ students so I don't know if there are any spaces left.
Omg yeah, even if there's space there's probably not enough time to get accepted. I guess I'll follow in your illustrious footsteps starting in January

Thanks for your reply!
Rtfc
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well you never know - there may still be space - when I asked, they wouldn't disclose what their capacity per cohort is.

I have to say though, it is a thoroughly international mix of students with a wide variety of professional backgrounds - should the course turn out to be rubbish, I think I'll learn a lot from my classmates!
Hussamkh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Any idea what is the recommended reading list for the first topic ? And for the people who have just started , what is your first impression of the program in terms of delivery platform , staff support and any other worth mentioning aspect ?
Rtfc
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The first unit is "principles of programming for AI", which starts with the most basic of basic concepts of programming with Python and will quickly work up to OOP/classes by week 5/6. There is no recommended reading list for this first unit, although it is noted through the course notes that you need to take the time to read through the official python documentation if you want to become a truly competent Python programmer. Some of the cohort with limited or no experience of programming have struggled a little getting to grips with the basics - the course notes are good but do move along at a reasonable pace - probably more quickly than a "Python for Beginners" type book - but anyone with a basic knowledge of programming should be able to get through to week 3 or 4 without too much sweat.

If you do want to do some pre-course reading then the obvious place to start is learning to program in Python. Which book / resource you choose for this depends on your current knowledge levels. The course material is delivered through Jupyter Workbooks, so again, getting yourself familiar with that will streamline your week 1 experience - but the instructions provided are more than adequate to get up and running.

I think the delivery platform is fine. It's a little clunky in places, but it works. Staff have been actively posting in the forums all week, answering with well constructed responses. They've acknowledged some issues with staffing in the department which has meant a change of course director in the last couple of weeks.
Last edited by Rtfc; 2 weeks ago
Hussamkh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rtfc)
The first unit is "principles of programming for AI", which starts with the most basic of basic concepts of programming with Python and will quickly work up to OOP/classes by week 5/6. There is no recommended reading list for this first unit, although it is noted through the course notes that you need to take the time to read through the official python documentation if you want to become a truly competent Python programmer. Some of the cohort with limited or no experience of programming have struggled a little getting to grips with the basics - the course notes are good but do move along at a reasonable pace - probably more quickly than a "Python for Beginners" type book - but anyone with a basic knowledge of programming should be able to get through to week 3 or 4 without too much sweat.

If you do want to do some pre-course reading then the obvious place to start is learning to program in Python. Which book / resource you choose for this depends on your current knowledge levels. The course material is delivered through Jupyter Workbooks, so again, getting yourself familiar with that will streamline your week 1 experience - but the instructions provided are more than adequate to get up and running.

I think the delivery platform is fine. It's a little clunky in places, but it works. Staff have been actively posting in the forums all week, answering with well constructed responses. They've acknowledged some issues with staffing in the department which has meant a change of course director in the last couple of weeks.
Thank you very much , that was really informative.

Initially I was planning to join the first cohort, but given my zero coding background, I decided to spend some time learning the basics of paython and refreshing my math.

Please let us know your opinion once this unit is over
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rtfc)

Who's the new course director?
Rtfc
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Andrew Chinery has introduced himself as "as of quite recently I am also the new Director of Studies for the MSc AI"
dakanabelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rtfc)

If you don't mind me asking, are all the assignments and such given at the beginning or do you get the week 2 assignment only in week 2? I'm interested in how flexible the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (77)
21.51%
No (281)
78.49%

Watched Threads