Maryyam Moazzam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Does anyone know the difference between eukaryotic viruses and prokaryotic viruses? I know the difference between eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells but dont know if the same principles apply to viruses?
Anonymous778
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Viruses are not considered prokaryotes nor eukaryotes because they aren’t cells. They aren’t considered ‘living’ because they aren’t able to replicate and divide independent of a host cell. Viruses are much much smaller than prokaryotes, and lack organelles. Viruses only have a circular strand of DNA or RNA inside a protein coat and capsid. It has no other organelle.
Hope this helped.
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The above is true, viruses are neither Eukaryotic or Prokaryotic, but do you mean what's the differences between the viruses that infect Eukaryotic and Prokaryotic cells? If so i'll list a few:

1) Prokaryotic cells have a peptidoglycan layer, unlike Eukaryotes, meaning viruses infecting Prokaryotic cells (bacteriophages) have evolved a means of penetrating this layer - usually via a tail that injects through the layer into the cell membrane and peptidoglycan-degrading enzymes.

2) When bacteriophages inject their tails into the cell, they pump their genetic material into the cell and it is only the genetic material that enters the cell. Most (but not all) animal and plant viruses enter cells via membrane-fusion or endocytosis - which means the full viral capsid (and sometimes envelope) is engulfed in vesicles.

These are just trends though, there's always exceptions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.39%
Less motivated (188)
68.61%

Watched Threads