The Student Room Group

Coronavirus and Int'l Students

I have a plan to study in the UK as an international student.
I am anxious about whether I can start my undergraduate study at UK uni due to the outbreak of novel Coronavirus.

As a matter of fact, UK is now stopping to provide Tier 4 Student Visa all over the world.

If circumstances will not drastically change until September, do universities decide either to adopt distant learning or to postpone the beginning of academic term in order to enable all the international students to join the course?
I could be mistaken but if the students arent able to get a visa, the university just rejects them/they decline their space and its given to someone else. However, if not even uk students are allowed to return to university, then i assume they will postpone/do online for everyone
Reply 2
Original post by hollylooker
I could be mistaken but if the students arent able to get a visa, the university just rejects them/they decline their space and its given to someone else. However, if not even uk students are allowed to return to university, then i assume they will postpone/do online for everyone

Thank you for your reply.

If so, substantial amount of freshmen will not be able to join the university; in my firm choice uni at least more than 30% of students are from outside the UK.
And it seemed that this university is now starting online learning for current students.

Anyway, I will become depressed when I could join the course although I know it's an act of God.
if uk students are able to attend the university then i highly doubt they will postpone the course start date. If the restrictions are your own country’s and not the uk’s then im almost certain they would just reject you but i could be mistaken and they’d do online classes for non uk students
Reply 4
Original post by hollylooker
if uk students are able to attend the university then i highly doubt they will postpone the course start date. If the restrictions are your own country’s and not the uk’s then im almost certain they would just reject you but i could be mistaken and they’d do online classes for non uk students

I see.
Hardship in getting visa is due to the fact that UK government decides to temporarily stop offering visa for all the countries including my home country of Japan.
Of course, governments of other popular destinations of study abroad like United States, Canada, and Australia are also doing the same things.

By the way, some international universities in Japan such as UTokyo, Kyoto, Waseda, and Keio start their academic term from April via online education for both domestic and international students.
(Annual Japanese academic year starts in April and ends in March.)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hinatazaka
I see.
Hardship in getting visa is due to the fact that UK government decides to temporarily stop offering visa for all the countries including my home country of Japan.
Of course, governments of other popular destinations of study abroad like United States, Canada, and Australia are also doing the same things.

By the way, some international universities in Japan such as UTokyo, Kyoto, Waseda, and Keio start their academic term from April via online education for both domestic and international students.
(Annual Japanese academic year starts in April and ends in March.)

The situation regarding overseas students is currently worrying universities UK who are concerned many overseas students will decide not to come here. The situation regarding visa's I dont think anyone knows the answer to. Nobody knows when the corona virus thing will come to an end and I would expect as soon as it does student visa's will be a priority to get overseas students here. We dont even know for definite that universities will start their intake on their usual date or whether they might end up through distance learning. I suspect it will be a few months yet before any decision is taken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending