Year 11 to year 12 transition thread

Watch this thread
Poll: Are you looking forward to progressing to Year 12?
Yes (10)
90.91%
No (0)
0%
Neither Yes or No (1)
9.09%
ayushquettic
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, fellow Year 11s!

I've seen a lot of compartmentalized threads regarding different issues concerning A-Level choices; transcending into the realm of sixth form/college and application/career discussions. Hence, I thought it would be more accessible if we had a single thread to collate and collaboratively help each other amidst our newfound status quo :")

Here's a rough template which suggests, but is not limited to, useful information when introducing yourself:

- Predicted Grades compared to the grades you realistically hope to ascertain this summer
- The A-Level (or post-16) choices you wish to pursue (don't be alarmed if you're unaware, unbeknownst, or ambiguous to what you would like to do!)
- Have you gotten offers from your preferred FE colleges/sixth form?
- Where do you aspire to be this time come Year 13?
- What are you doing with your spare time now?
- How have you been maintaining your mental health and mitigating the detriments of isolation?
- What is one thing you're confused or anxious about?

- YEAR 12/13: What did you wish you knew before you began A-Levels?
Plus, any queries you may have!
Last edited by ayushquettic; 2 years ago
ohnojay
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
hii, most people call me jay

I'm predicted 8/9 for all my subjects except french. I'm not sure if these will be the grades I will be given but I'm proud of these predictions from my Christmas mocks, but hopefully my french grade gets bumped up >: D
I plan to do maths, further maths, history (modern) and physics at my preferred sixth form. Though it is considered a weird combination, it meets the requirements of the fields I plan to pursue.
By this time in Year 13, I want to be in a comfortable position with my revision, to have resources such as flash cards prepared, though I might not as I procrastinate sO much lol. Currently I'm doing the online work set by my teachers but I'm revisiting the physics gcse content to be ready for a-levels as I think it's the weakest out of all my choices for college. One concern that I may have is the amount of organisation needed during sixth form. I've been told you need binders as you re-do your notes but I'm just wondering if I can just skip that and just do neat notes during class? Also, I'm wondering if bringing in laptops is common in sixth forms? People keep telling me to bring one but then again most people don't?

nice to meet you c;
Hopefully a doc
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The gov has litterally released a statement saying any work done/set after March 20th can not count towards your final grade

Name:  Screenshot 2020-04-12 at 11.03.00 PM.png
Views: 65
Size:  74.0 KB
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi :hi: I’m a Y12 (soon to be Y13!) student studying maths, further maths and geography - if you have any questions about them, just ask

My advice to you current Y11s, for the subjects you’re wanting to do at A-level, finish the gcse course if you haven’t already! Especially for things like the sciences/maths, you will need this knowledge as it will probably feature as assumed knowledge as part of the a-level.
E.g. things like moles and titrations are sometimes left until the end of the Y11 chem course to learn, as they’re the harder content, but they are some of the first things you’ll cover at a-level chemistry. And the lessons are pretty fast paced so it’s good to know how to do the gcse part before you start learning the a-level part to it
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I'm also a year 12 studying maths, physics and history, wanting to study law at uni. If you have any question, feel free to ask What I wish I would've wanted to do before sixth form is to revise on my GCSE knowledge tbh and not be stressed on working on A level content before yr 12 tbh.
lottieEM
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
hello!! i’m a year 13 student studying chemistry, biology and geology. my advice for year 11s would honestly be ‘don’t worry too much’. when i started sixth form i was absolutely TERRIFIED because everyone told be that the jump would be huge, that i would have to do tonnes of background reading and that i wouldn’t have any spare time. this is absolutely not the case (in my opinion, may differ for humanities etc). i genuinely didn’t find the jump bad AT ALL (year 12 to 13 was a lot bigger), i never did background reading and i had tonnes of free time, particularly in year 12. one last point, don’t stress if you’re not doing a load of work in your frees, no one does - especially in the first term. so yeah, don’t worry and please just enjoy year 12, year 13 is when you’re allowed to complain about your life every day ahahah
ayushquettic
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by lottieEM)
hello!! i’m a year 13 student studying chemistry, biology and geology. my advice for year 11s would honestly be ‘don’t worry too much’. when i started sixth form i was absolutely TERRIFIED because everyone told be that the jump would be huge, that i would have to do tonnes of background reading and that i wouldn’t have any spare time. this is absolutely not the case (in my opinion, may differ for humanities etc). i genuinely didn’t find the jump bad AT ALL (year 12 to 13 was a lot bigger), i never did background reading and i had tonnes of free time, particularly in year 12. one last point, don’t stress if you’re not doing a load of work in your frees, no one does - especially in the first term. so yeah, don’t worry and please just enjoy year 12, year 13 is when you’re allowed to complain about your life every day ahahah
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Hi, I'm also a year 12 studying maths, physics and history, wanting to study law at uni. If you have any question, feel free to ask What I wish I would've wanted to do before sixth form is to revise on my GCSE knowledge tbh and not be stressed on working on A level content before yr 12 tbh.
(Original post by laurawatt)
Hi :hi: I’m a Y12 (soon to be Y13!) student studying maths, further maths and geography - if you have any questions about them, just ask

My advice to you current Y11s, for the subjects you’re wanting to do at A-level, finish the gcse course if you haven’t already! Especially for things like the sciences/maths, you will need this knowledge as it will probably feature as assumed knowledge as part of the a-level.
E.g. things like moles and titrations are sometimes left until the end of the Y11 chem course to learn, as they’re the harder content, but they are some of the first things you’ll cover at a-level chemistry. And the lessons are pretty fast paced so it’s good to know how to do the gcse part before you start learning the a-level part to it
Hello all!

Thanks for your advice :')

Is what I'm doing necessary?
I consistently achieved 9s in both Biology and Chemistry (I love and breathe those two subjects) and plan on taking them both to A-Level. I've already started learning the course - I will be able to comfortably learn the AS/A1 courses for both sciences. Is it worth it? I want to spend my time at college doing practice questions, opposed to having to learn content from scratch. Will it be worth setting myself ahead of the game? Note, I'm more of a revision-y person opposed to someone who enjoys relaxing.
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ayushquettic)
Hello all!

I consistently achieved 9s in both Biology and Chemistry (I love and breathe those two subjects) and plan on taking them both to A-Level. I've already started learning the course - I will be able to comfortably learn the AS/A1 courses for both sciences. Is it worth it? I want to spend my time at college doing practice questions, opposed to having to learn content from scratch. Will it be worth setting myself ahead of the game? Note, I'm more of a revision-y person opposed to someone who enjoys relaxing.
It depends on the teaching, as you’ll still have to sit in the lessons where the stuff is being taught and probably be expected to engage
If you do want to teach yourself parts of it then there’s no problem with that though! Giving yourself a solid headstart so the lessons are more like revision for you :yes:
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ayushquettic)
Hello all!

If you’re someone that rather revise than relaxes, that’s fine as long as you are comfortable doing this instead of doing it for the sake of it. It is worth it but you might not understand it now but you will once you get taught it. If you already have a great gcse knowledge, especially with 9s, then that’s fine what you are doing
imogen28
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ohnojay)
hii, most people call me jay

I'm predicted 8/9 for all my subjects except french. I'm not sure if these will be the grades I will be given but I'm proud of these predictions from my Christmas mocks, but hopefully my french grade gets bumped up >: D
I plan to do maths, further maths, history (modern) and physics at my preferred sixth form. Though it is considered a weird combination, it meets the requirements of the fields I plan to pursue.
By this time in Year 13, I want to be in a comfortable position with my revision, to have resources such as flash cards prepared, though I might not as I procrastinate sO much lol. Currently I'm doing the online work set by my teachers but I'm revisiting the physics gcse content to be ready for a-levels as I think it's the weakest out of all my choices for college. One concern that I may have is the amount of organisation needed during sixth form. I've been told you need binders as you re-do your notes but I'm just wondering if I can just skip that and just do neat notes during class? Also, I'm wondering if bringing in laptops is common in sixth forms? People keep telling me to bring one but then again most people don't?

nice to meet you c;
Please don’t rewrite notes unless you genuinely think it helps you - exam questions will be a much better use of your time (especially for maths!) so just make useable notes in class. You don’t need a laptop I’d say but it could be helpful especially for history, not necessarily in lessons but it might be nice if you plan on doing much work at college outside of lessons I think I’ve brought in my laptop once and didn’t even use it but then again I do biology, chemistry and maths so there’s not been a need for one! I sometimes use an ipad if I’m working in the library but once again it’s not essential. Good luck
ohnojay
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by imogen28)
Please don’t rewrite notes unless you genuinely think it helps you - exam questions will be a much better use of your time (especially for maths!) so just make useable notes in class. You don’t need a laptop I’d say but it could be helpful especially for history, not necessarily in lessons but it might be nice if you plan on doing much work at college outside of lessons I think I’ve brought in my laptop once and didn’t even use it but then again I do biology, chemistry and maths so there’s not been a need for one! I sometimes use an ipad if I’m working in the library but once again it’s not essential. Good luck
okay, thank you for the advice : D
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
35.58%
The paper was reasonable (40)
38.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
16.35%
It was TERRIBLE (10)
9.62%

Watched Threads