aniqa_981C
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Due to the outbreak of the conra virus, does anyone think that first year univeristy students starting in September 2020 will have their place cancelled or online teaching for first year courses will happen?
machan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Online teaching is more likely to happen...
aniqa_981C
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yes I am starting in sept and I don’t feel like I want to go any more
mixup_parent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We need to get back to normal, quickly. We cannot wait beyond May 1st else there is going to be anarchy. Protect the vulnerable but most people simply have to go back to work or back to school/university.

If Universities cannot commit to teaching students in September then start the term in November and shorten the Christmas holidays or start in January 2021 and halve the summer holiday.

Spain are going back to work today, other nations will soon follow.

My only block would be on International students for 2020 entry, those places should all be deferred to start in Sept 2021.

Give those places to home students and try and get back to some normality.
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think most uni's will probably have contingency plans, if absolutely necessary, to begin the 2020/21 academic year online, and re-commence face-to-face teaching as soon as it is safe to do so. I doubt the entirety of the academic year will be online.
mixup_parent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by moosec)
I think most uni's will probably have contingency plans, if absolutely necessary, to begin the 2020/21 academic year online, and re-commence face-to-face teaching as soon as it is safe to do so. I doubt the entirety of the academic year will be online.
That won't work, you can't run lectures and tutorials in that way. There are 12 months to play with from end Sept 2020 to end Sept 2021, no reason why there can't be flexibility to returning later IF that was the only approach. I am sure most students would rather do that and use the time before to earn some money.
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mixup_parent)
That won't work, you can't run lectures and tutorials in that way. There are 12 months to play with from end Sept 2020 to end Sept 2021, no reason why there can't be flexibility to returning later IF that was the only approach. I am sure most students would rather do that and use the time before to earn some money.
With respect, you can run lectures and tutorials that way... that's how they're running presently for the current academic year. Even the current final year students will be finishing their degrees via distance-learning... there's technically no reason as to why the next cohort cannot begin their theory in the same way.
There is, of course, the possibility of beginning the academic year at a later date, but I think that will be the absolute last resort as it would have knock-on effects for the university and the students.
I'm taking the notion of distance-learning from universities' own FAQ's (for UK Applicants), below are quotes from some universities regarding what may happen if the situation is not resolved by September:
"we're reviewing a number of options including moving provision online for the start of term as well as delaying the start of term to later in the year." (Manchester)
"Dependent on government advice moving forward, your enrolment and classes at the start of your course may begin online." (Cumbria)
"We are preparing contingency plans, including options for studying remotely." (Nottingham)
RocsRCD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
At the rate that this is going, many sites are suggesting that universities are preparing to begin the courses from 2020 online. However, this has not been completely declared, but it seems that even if we go to the uni campus in September 2020, social distancing will probably still be a thing and there will be other restrictions involved. As a student myself, I don't feel like going to uni this year and I'm considering deferring my offer back to 2021 because we students are gonna miss out on the whole uni life experience, which is a great shame, considering is not even our fault.
mixup_parent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RocsRCD)
At the rate that this is going, many sites are suggesting that universities are preparing to begin the courses from 2020 online. However, this has not been completely declared, but it seems that even if we go to the uni campus in September 2020, social distancing will probably still be a thing and there will be other restrictions involved. As a student myself, I don't feel like going to uni this year and I'm considering deferring my offer back to 2021 because we students are gonna miss out on the whole uni life experience, which is a great shame, considering is not even our fault.
Nothing can be decided in April. Universities have some considerable time to plan approached to deal with what remains of the virus risk come September and October. With the whole world working on treatment and vaccines the next 5-6 months will be time for much change of the situation. Schools are already returning in Europe and in time they will here and that will be the best guide to what happens once the peak has passed. Universities could delay starts for a couple of months quite easily. The press are doing students no favours by continue to scaremonger about long term impacts.
Catcastle08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How can they teach Art and Medicine on line? With the Galleries and Museums closed?
And the stress with everyone loosing close relatives?

Come on! They are only thinking of money fees and not us! We all should defer a year and students should all pick fruit in the farm's until a vaccine is available.
RocsRCD
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Catcastle08)
How can they teach Art and Medicine on line? With the Galleries and Museums closed?

Come on! They are only thinking of money fees and not us! We all should defer a year and students should all pick fruit in the farm's until a vaccine is available.
That's what I'm thinking too. There are too many courses that need to do practical stuff and won't be able to learn it from a screen. Honestly, nobody knows what is going to happen so we just have to wait and see.
moosec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Catcastle08)

this is my fear. I'm just about to graduate with a degree in Music & Sound Production, and distance-learning has been a pain & has probably now impacted my final grades because I haven't been able to access equipment and the music studio in uni. Also due to start a second degree in Nursing in September, wondering how my placements will work if we're still socially distancing. :/
I doubt they'll enforce a year's deferral, there has already been so much disruption to education I'd imagine it wouldn't go down too well if they pushed everyone back a year. I know students who have opted to defer, that's their individual choice and mad props to them lol. As far as I've been told as an applicant, the 2020/21 academic year is thus far anticipated to go ahead as normal, but there are contingency plans being discussed. But these are early days... we shall have to wait and see
Last edited by moosec; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.2%

Watched Threads