The Student Room Group

Praying in Islam - Fasting

Salaam everyone.
I'm a revert in Islam and have some questions about praying.

So in Ramadan, we pray taraweeh. But if we fast on a random day that isn't during the month of Ramadan, do we also pray taraweeh or is there another namaz we pray to show our intention to fast?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Euphoria101
Salaam everyone.
I'm a revert in Islam and have some questions about praying.

So in Ramadan, we pray taraweeh. But if we fast on a random day that isn't during the month of Ramadan, do we also pray taraweeh or is there another namaz we pray to show our intention to fast?

Was salaam

Welcome to Islam, I hope your journey goes well for you. As for praying on random days, we'd consider it nafl (voluntary) fasting, you'd fast as you normally would in Ramadan, sunrise till sunset, but there is no other action necessary for that fast to be complete. So no, you don't need other prayers. You just need the intention. Taraweeh is actually a sunnah, not a compulsory act that needs to be done to have an accepted fast during Ramadan. But we should strive to do it as it's a very good practice. If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me. I'd be more than happy to help out, as I'm aware of the fact that new converts/reverts often don't have a support group to help them through their journey.
(edited 4 years ago)
Taraweeh is for ramadan sis x
Only in ramadan you pray taraweeh the night before
Original post by HGS345
Was salaam

Welcome to Islam, I hope your journey goes well for you. As for praying on random days, we'd consider it nafl (voluntary) fasting, you'd fast as you normally would in Ramadan, sunrise till sunset, but there is no other action necessary for that fast to be complete. So no, you don't need other prayers. You just need the intention. Taraweeh is actually a sunnah, not a compulsory act that needs to be done to have an accepted fast during Ramadan. But we should strive to do it as it's a very good practice. If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me. I'd be more than happy to help out, as I'm aware of the fact that new converts/reverts often don't have a support group to help them through their journey.

Thank you so much. I was born Muslim but went into bad paths. I feel fulfilled that I'm now coming into a new journey. But remembering everything has been difficult and I feel bad that I can't understand things online.

Thank you for replying. That makes sense. So if I was to fast tomorrow, I just need to make Niyyah (intention) now and pray as normal? Sorry can I also ask, what are 'random days'? Do Mondays and Thursdays count as random days? And if I fasted on a day that wasn't random but not in Ramadan, what would be different? Sorry to bombard you!

Thanks again and I'll definitely take you up on that offer! It's weird, growing up Muslim for me was a blessing of course but I never really understood Islam. I found that even going to Islamic schools, talking to my brothers and parents, I never understood how alone I'd feel without Islam and now that I'm coming back, I really feel bad that I missed so much time not praying, fasting, reading the Qu'ran and even believing. I've even forgotten how to read Arabic, astagfirullah, and I find that online resources are so difficult to hack. Sorry for rambling, thank you!

Original post by Islamisright01
Taraweeh is for ramadan sis x
Only in ramadan you pray taraweeh the night before

Thank you for replying! I always thought that there would have to be some other namaz to show intention, but I guess not! Thanks x
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah all you need to do to fast is making niyyah (intention) and obviously for your comfort eat/drink all you can before sun rise then fast all day until sun set (Maghrib). You can fast any day you want but only in Ramadan is fasting obligatory for the healthy people.
Was salaam
Reply 6
Thank you so much. I was born Muslim but went into bad paths. I feel fulfilled that I'm now coming into a new journey. But remembering everything has been difficult and I feel bad that I can't understand things online.

Thank you for replying. That makes sense. So if I was to fast tomorrow, I just need to make Niyyah (intention) now and pray as normal? Sorry can I also ask, what are 'random days'? Do Mondays and Thursdays count as random days? And if I fasted on a day that wasn't random but not in Ramadan, what would be different? Sorry to bombard you!

Thanks again and I'll definitely take you up on that offer! It's weird, growing up Muslim for me was a blessing of course but I never really understood Islam. I found that even going to Islamic schools, talking to my brothers and parents, I never understood how alone I'd feel without Islam and now that I'm coming back, I really feel bad that I missed so much time not praying, fasting, reading the Qu'ran and even believing. I've even forgotten how to read Arabic, astagfirullah, and I find that online resources are so difficult to hack. Sorry for rambling, thank you!

Thank you for replying! I always thought that there would have to be some other namaz to show intention, but I guess not! Thanks x

We all fall down bad roads every now and then, it is part of our nature. But Allah (swt) loves the sinner who repents, more than the one who never sins. Don't feel bad, just let go of whatever wrong you have done and have hope in the mercy of Allah (swt), as Allah (swt) Himself says (either it's hadith, or Quran, can't remember exactly), 'I am in the opinion of my servant', so if you think good of Allah, then that is what you will find.

I used the word random to mean any day outside of Ramadan. And technically, as the Prophet pbuh fasted on Mondays and Thursdays (as those are the 2 days where Allah swt looks at your deeds), it is a sunnah, so wouldn't be classed as 'random', if that makes sense. Or take the other option, if you can't fast every Monday and Thursday, then fast at least 3 days of the month, those can be any 3 days, so are 'random' days, if that makes sense?

Don't worry, Islam is a way of living, not a trophy to be won, so it doesn't matter what you've achieved currently, what matters is that you're trying.
Original post by HGS345
We all fall down bad roads every now and then, it is part of our nature. But Allah (swt) loves the sinner who repents, more than the one who never sins. Don't feel bad, just let go of whatever wrong you have done and have hope in the mercy of Allah (swt), as Allah (swt) Himself says (either it's hadith, or Quran, can't remember exactly), 'I am in the opinion of my servant', so if you think good of Allah, then that is what you will find.

I used the word random to mean any day outside of Ramadan. And technically, as the Prophet pbuh fasted on Mondays and Thursdays (as those are the 2 days where Allah swt looks at your deeds), it is a sunnah, so wouldn't be classed as 'random', if that makes sense. Or take the other option, if you can't fast every Monday and Thursday, then fast at least 3 days of the month, those can be any 3 days, so are 'random' days, if that makes sense?

Don't worry, Islam is a way of living, not a trophy to be won, so it doesn't matter what you've achieved currently, what matters is that you're trying.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the support and wise words, jazakAllah.

So basically, if you fast on a day not in Ramadan, then you just carry on as normal? Nothing new, except niyyah?

I appreciate this a lot, thank you!
Reply 8
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate the support and wise words, jazakAllah.

So basically, if you fast on a day not in Ramadan, then you just carry on as normal? Nothing new, except niyyah?

I appreciate this a lot, thank you!

I'm glad I could be of help. If you have any other questions let me know.
And yeah, carry on as normal. In fact, sometimes the Prophet pbuh would wake up and ask if there was any food, when he was told there was nothing in the house to eat, he decided to fast. So if you wake up at 2pm, you can just make the intention to fast a nafl fast, and fast as you would normally. However, you can't be planning this in advance, e.g. 'if sunset is at 5.30pm, I'll wake up at 2pm so I only have to fast 3.5 hours' lol, as this is insincere. If you've eaten something after you've woken up though, then you can't do that fast, for obvious reasons. These fasts are more spontaneous types, but they carry the same rewards.
(edited 4 years ago)
We only pray taraweeh during the month of Ramadan
F*ck sake you're here again babe 🤣😘
Original post by catayz24
F*ck sake you're here again babe 🤣😘

Do I know u🤨
Let me introduce myself
The names Bond
James Bond
Let me introduce myself
The names Bond
James Bond

I didn’t ask👋🏼😬😅
Did I ask for your permission 😬😬
Did I ask for your permission 😬😬

Forever stalking me yano 😂
Reply 16
Walaikum assalam!

Others have already answered you but I just wanted to say welcome to Islam, sister! :smile:
Original post by HGS345
I'm glad I could be of help. If you have any other questions let me know.
And yeah, carry on as normal. In fact, sometimes the Prophet pbuh would wake up and ask if there was any food, when he was told there was nothing in the house to eat, he decided to fast. So if you wake up at 2pm, you can just make the intention to fast a nafl fast, and fast as you would normally. However, you can't be planning this in advance, e.g. 'if sunset is at 5.30pm, I'll wake up at 2pm so I only have to fast 3.5 hours' lol, as this is insincere. If you've eaten something after you've woken up though, then you can't do that fast, for obvious reasons. These fasts are more spontaneous types, but they carry the same rewards.

Thank you for clarifying! Thanks for all the help:biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by Itsnaaaz
We only pray taraweeh during the month of Ramadan

Thank you:smile:

Original post by Aseeraf
Walaikum assalam!

Others have already answered you but I just wanted to say welcome to Islam, sister! :smile:

Thank you, I appreciate that!:smile:
Original post by Itsnaaaz
Forever stalking me yano 😂

see u everywhere tbh but i like how you speak honestly ygm
Let me introduce myself
The names Bond
James Bond

Let me introduce the apostrophe ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending