The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy or Occupational Therapy

I recently have my university offers to study Occupational therapy. But I am considering taking a year out to complete a BTEC science diploma so I can get the entry requirements for Physiotherapy, for September 2021. I am unsure about physiotherapy from what ive heard it seems to be an intense course with lots of work. If anyone has studied or thinking of studying Physiotherapy or Occupational therapy would be great help. Or anyone whos taken a year out to access another course.
Reply 2
I’ve applied to study OT in September. I chose OT rather than PT as OT is more about the person as a whole so like holistic health, whereas PT can focus more on injuries ect x
Both courses are incredibly intense and hard work, physiotherapy is more medical working with patients in a more medical manner. OT provides a more holistic approach and is very different from physio, both professions work together with many patients though in an MDT approach. An access course would be a great start and some experience in the world of health gives a good basis of experience, this might be work experience, volunteering, shadowing or paid care work such as an HCA in hospitals, care home and domiciliary care.
I like the idea of occupational health but I own a flat and am a mature student so don't want to move away but I also considered both options, I like the idea of helping people in a holistic way (mind, body, emotions) but you also get to do that too with Physio but the medical aspect will obviously be a lot harder which you have to be prepared for. It is scary the thought of the amount you have to revise and know but if you are dedicated and put the time in 5 or 6 days a week you will be able to do it, you will only be able to work part time if anything on the side because there will be so much to learn, if your prepared to do that then it will be worth it, if you can enjoy being more hands on with the patients and demonstrating exercises, explaining why they have an injury, how to make it better and motivating them to want to then it will be enjoyable for you. I would definitely say Physio would be harder hence the higher science based grades required.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending