The Student Room Group

Do you need to be good at english to be a lawyer?

I mean, obviously I'm fluent in English, but if we have to write essays and stuff I'm screwed. :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by vix.xvi
I mean, obviously I'm fluent in English, but if we have to write essays and stuff I'm screwed. :frown:

You realise to become a lawyer, I believe, you have to be really good at writing essays in addition to being very fluent in English (which you claim you have). I personally believe essays are essential in Law. Btw I'm no Law undergraduate, but going to uni (hopefully) this year.
It’s important, but you don’t have to be good at it before you start. It’s something you will learn to do.
A lot of universities like it if you have an essay subject at A level though, so you can already write a bit.
Original post by vix.xvi

Of course you have to write essays in a Law degree
Yes, outside of the academia standpoint one wrong word in a contract can mean it takes a completely meaning to what you had intentioned.
what srsly? oml
As a lawyer your choice of words is crucial. It’s not just what you say but how you phrase it. This will apply to interpreting a contract or swaying a jury. The success of a case could turn on the meaning of a single word.

You need to be a wordsmith if you want to be a successful lawyer. So if you are shying away from writing essays this does not bode well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending