PhD in the UK - Research Proposal advice needed

Watch
CG123145
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi all,

I am currently working on a research proposal for PhD applications in the UK (I'm from the US) and a bit stuck in the methods section. Do I simply need to list what data I will collect and how? or I need to include what type of analysis I will do (eg. multivariate OLS regression analysis)?

If anyone can provide a link or guidance how to write a research proposal - I will be forever grateful!!

this is for PhD programs related to public health / epidemiology
musyavuz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,

Your research interest which mentioned above is very different my expertise. However mostly, it should involves overview ( i.e. the cause of chosing this subject and its benefits to world), an introduction (you may mention about the topic generally), similar studies that have being in the literature, your aim and expectations from the study methodology and bibliography. Please note that these are general informations. You can find the details about proposal at your university webpage.

Good luck!
CG123145
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by musyavuz)
Hi,

Your research interest which mentioned above is very different my expertise. However mostly, it should involves overview ( i.e. the cause of chosing this subject and its benefits to world), an introduction (you may mention about the topic generally), similar studies that have being in the literature, your aim and expectations from the study methodology and bibliography. Please note that these are general informations. You can find the details about proposal at your university webpage.

Good luck!
Many thanks for your reply! Very helpful!!

Once thing that I am stuck with is methodology. Just trying to ensure it does make sense and if I need to provide details how my data will be analyzed.
i do understand that my analysis may change throughout the course of the program thought.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CG123145)
Hi all,

I am currently working on a research proposal for PhD applications in the UK (I'm from the US) and a bit stuck in the methods section. Do I simply need to list what data I will collect and how? or I need to include what type of analysis I will do (eg. multivariate OLS regression analysis)?

If anyone can provide a link or guidance how to write a research proposal - I will be forever grateful!!

Hi CG123145

In terms of applying for PhD, funded or otherwise, usually universities/applications will ask you to name a proposed supervisor for the project.

With this in mind, my main piece of advice to you (and anyone preparing a proposal for PhD) would be to identify appropriate supervisors and get in contact with them. If you already had a few universities in mind that you were going to apply to, I would contact the faculties and ask to speak to the member of staff who sort of oversees the PhD projects - at Portsmouth they are called a Faculty Research Degrees Coordinator and they are the point of contact for prospective PhD applicants. They can usually help you to identify who may be available to supervise or who would be most appropriate. Alternatively you could just look at the staff pages yourself and email those who you think would be most appropriate.

Once you have done this, you would be able to share your proposal with the proposed supervisor and discuss the project with them. Then they can help you develop your proposal for submission - and sometimes they might know about funding that is available.

In some cases there might just be open calls for submissions so we may not need to name a supervisor. But if you have already reached out to a supervisor, discussed the project and arranged supervision, then the advantage is they know the inner workings of the university and can help you to better tailor your project to what the faculty might want to see, if that makes sense.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any more questions you might have! Best of luck with your proposal!

Danielle - Official Student Rep
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by CG123145)
Hi all,

Usually you just describe the methods or methods you intend to use and say why, or say that you will need to have got to position X before you can choose between method a or b.

The aim it just to show that you've put some thought into choosing, or how to choose an appropriate method.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads