The Student Room Group

PGCE History Competitiveness?

I've wanted to teach History for a long time, but I'm only just now considering how competitive it's going to be.

I'm just coming to the end of my degree in Ancient and Modern History, hopefully with a first. My plan is to take a year out and then do my pgce.

I'm hoping in my gap year to gain more experience, and to hopefully learn sign language, too.
Is there anything you can suggest I do that will help me really stand out when I eventually have my interviews? I really don't want to miss out one year and then to have to apply once more, and so on. If it happens, I will, but it would be great to be able to go in straightaway.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MartinisSkip
I've wanted to teach History for a long time, but I'm only just now considering how competitive it's going to be.

I'm just coming to the end of my degree in Ancient and Modern History, hopefully with a first. My plan is to take a year out and then do my pgce.

I'm hoping in my gap year to gain more experience, and to hopefully learn sign language, too.
Is there anything you can suggest I do that will help me really stand out when I eventually have my interviews? I really don't want to miss out one year and then to have to apply once more, and so on. If it happens, I will, but it would be great to be able to go in straightaway.

As of this year, most Secondary PGCEs aren't that competitive, although history is a more popular subject. School experience and experience with the age group you want to teach e.g. via Guides/Scouts/a Sports club does make you stand out. Get lots of practice presenting as well, as this will help you come across well in interview. However most people who apply for history do get at least one offer from their initial 3 choices, and if you don't, you can keep applying via Apply 2- so it's pretty rare to need to take a year out.

Of course, things might change as the economic situation changes, but that's how things stand at the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending