Motivation to finish Dissertation during lockdown

Watch
Kitkatkatiexx1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Because of COVID 19 I have been living at home since March due to uni shutting down and finding it super difficult to stay motivated on my dissertation. Our deadline has been pushed back to 18th May which helps but it's really challenging to try to motivate myself to work.
This year has been so disrupted due to coronavirus but also strikes which meant contact with Diss supervisors has been poor all year and now my supervisor is off work till the 20th due to 'Easter' so can't contact him.
I have doney litrature reviews and methodology and done all the interviews and transcripion and found themes but have the analysis write up to start.
With all the stress surrounding COVID 19, final year uni being disrupted and cut short and our uni being so slow in responding to the pandamic ect. I have been feeling like I'm unable to concentrate on my work and this is leading to me feeling stressed and guilty for not nkt completing the work I was meant to have done that way ect.

Anyone have any tips /advice on how to stay motivated ect in this current time?
Is anyone else feeling the same way?

Would really appreciate xxx
Last edited by Kitkatkatiexx1; 8 months ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Kitkatkatiexx1)
Because of COVID 19 I have been living at home since March due to uni shutting down and finding it super difficult to stay motivated on my dissertation. Our deadline has been pushed back to 18th May which helps but it's really challenging to try to motivate myself to work.
This year has been so disrupted due to coronavirus but also strikes which meant contact with Diss supervisors has been poor all year and now my supervisor is off work till the 20th due to 'Easter' so can't contact him.
I have doney litrature reviews and methodology and done all the interviews and transcripion and found themes but have the analysis write up to start.
With all the stress surrounding COVID 19, final year uni being disrupted and cut short and our uni being so slow in responding to the pandamic ect. I have been feeling like I'm unable to concentrate on my work and this is leading to me feeling stressed and guilty for not nkt completing the work I was meant to have done that way ect.

Is this an undergraduate or postgraduate dissertation?

Tbh, you just have to accept that you can only control so much in this weird situation, so focus on what you can control and try to ignore what you can't. Set yourself achievable goals for each day, and then try to spend a few hours (with breaks) going through them. I swear by the app Forest, which stops you using your phone whilst studying, and times your study sessions so you can see how productive you're being. You have to think that the more you achieve per day, the sooner it will be done.

Do you have an appropriate work space at home?
katier4848
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Kitkatkatiexx1)

I would suggest you make a well organised and realistic timetable so each day you know what needs to be done, so you don't fall behind on anything. Wake up early, do some exercise (so helpful!), eat well, set aside a time which you work best at to do your work, make sure to take breaks because otherwise won't be effective. It is always nice to give yourself something to look forward to at the end of all you hard work, like watch a movie or something. (Also if your phone is a distraction hide it away or you can download a app which locks your phone for your desired time).

Hope this helped x
Kitkatkatiexx1
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Is this an undergraduate or postgraduate dissertation?

Tbh, you just have to accept that you can only control so much in this weird situation, so focus on what you can control and try to ignore what you can't. Set yourself achievable goals for each day, and then try to spend a few hours (with breaks) going through them. I swear by the app Forest, which stops you using your phone whilst studying, and times your study sessions so you can see how productive you're being. You have to think that the more you achieve per day, the sooner it will be done.

Do you have an appropriate work space at home?
It's undergraduate dissertation! Yh I may try setting myself smaller goals,so I don't get too overwhelmed. Yes I have a desk area in my room and I try to keepy phone out of the room when working!

I know I can do it it's just getting the motivation going again!
Kitkatkatiexx1
Rep:
?
(Original post by katier4848)
I would suggest you make a well organised and realistic timetable so each day you know what needs to be done, so you don't fall behind on anything. Wake up early, do some exercise (so helpful!), eat well, set aside a time which you work best at to do your work, make sure to take breaks because otherwise won't be effective. It is always nice to give yourself something to look forward to at the end of all you hard work, like watch a movie or something. (Also if your phone is a distraction hide it away or you can download a app which locks your phone for your desired time).

Hope this helped x
Thank you so much, yes I exercise daily and that helps clear the mind! Setting smaller goals may help thank you xx
Trin!
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hello,Sorry to hear you're finding it tough to focus.

This is my first time on here and I was actually looking for some advice on another subject myself but saw your post and thought I'd throw in my two pennies' worth.I'm not in the same boat as you, having submitted my diss last year, but I did my whole MA completely online and was not working at the time so I pretty much became a swamp creature for a few months and it was hard to force myself to concentrate but eventually I worked it out and got the grades I wanted - so hopefully you find the following helpful.

General advice:- First I would say just take a moment to actually appreciate that we are in totally unprecedented times, that this is totally bonkers and has never happened before - this is a really rubbish situation to be in and you are a human being that is totally allowed and entitled to feel stressed and even angry about this, on top of the normal dissertation stress. -goes without saying but getting a normal-ish sleep pattern sorted, keeping hydrated and not living off frozen food etc etc is (annoyingly) really important - think about why you are actually doing this - what are your career goals for after you complete your qualification? If you aren't enjoying the process of writing your dissertation, remind yourself what the point of it all is. This will get you through the yucky bits you don't like (everyone has them - methodology is grim in my opinion, maybe you don't enjoy analysis?) - no one actually likes going to the dentist but squeaky clean teeth (ie finishing your diss and graduating so you can go follow your dreams) feel pretty good.

- another thing that I can't stress enough is to just get excited about your subject again! It's so good to speak to someone who knows nothing about your field. I found that when my partner (who totally should have known by that point) asked me what I was actually writing about, going completely back to basics and explaining it to him was great. This is because it gives you a break from doing the work whilst still talking it through, seeing it from another angle and helping you spot the weak points.

Specifically in terms of actually making yourself sit down and do some flippin' work:- people are all really different and some find that routine works for them and some don't. I found that if I made a plan for myself I would end up just messing about making pretty timetables that I would never actually stick to. Instead I would just wake up, set an alarm for half an hour's time, have a cuppa and just get some headspace without looking at the clock and feeling guilty for not starting yet. That half an hour in the morning (or an hour if you need it) was MY time to wake up, relax a bit, and not think about the diss at all. By the time the alarm goes off, you know that you've had your relaxation time and it's now time to do something more worky.

- After doing the above, instead of just telling yourself off and forcing yourself to slam straight into your analysis, try doing a sort of mental warm up. This was probably the most important thing for me - I would wake up and just dread sitting in front of my diss watching time slip away and start panicking. Instead, I would read something relating to my topic but not totally related to get my brain to realise that this was now time to start focusing. Normally I would suggest reading the news for this purpose but that's probably not a great idea with everything going on but reading through an old news article relating to the topic area (just Google something - not to use in your diss because it might not be something super academic/appropriate but just to get your brain going) or a section of your diss that you're happy with or wrote a while ago really helps gently get you back into it and you might even spot a couple of typos while you're there. Hopefully that's something like the sort of advice you're after - I'm not a student anymore but I do remember how hard it was studying in isolation and it worked for me but everyone is different. Good luck!
Last edited by Trin!; 8 months ago
FV75
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I was feeling the same way a few weeks ago. The results/analysis part felt really hard to write because I couldn't collect all the data I had intended to before my uni shut down, and so I just felt massively disappointed and demotivated with it all.

I gave myself a total break and worked on other assignments for a week, then promised myself I would work on writing up my results for just 1 hour on a specific day. When I decided to stop, it was 3 hours later! I have taken this same approach over the last couple of weeks and the motivation seems to have returned, if nothing else just to get it done and stop thinking about what might have been.

Shorter answer: don't wait for the motivation to turn up - it might not. But agree with yourself that you will do some work on it anyway, even if its just one hour. Good luck!
Elocin505
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I am currently doing my pharmacy diss.

Advice: do small bits every day. Do an hour in the morning, afternoon and evening. It's better than doing nothing. By the end of the week, you will have done nearly a whole day's worth on your dissertation.
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi Kitkatkatiexx1! You're not alone - motivation is definitely something that a lot of my students have been struggling with, especially during this period of time. Here's a post that hopefully helps with getting over the tendency to procrastinate / fear of starting to write: https://hyperbolit.com/2020/04/15/ho...ge-in-writing/

See if it helps? Happy to answer further questions, if any!
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey!

Totally feel you on this one - I'm also a final year and in the next two weeks would have completed one exam, two essays and of course, the dreaded dissertation!

The first two weeks of lockdown really impacted my motivation to study, however, I made adjustments to my routine, which has actually boosted my energy!

Basically, every morning and evening I do ten minutes of yoga (this really helps keep you grounded and releases any tension). I have a good breakfast, make myself a cup of coffee and set up my workspace. (This is important to make sure you separate leisure from work).

The next part sounds silly but this has worked wonders!! I search on youtube 'study with me' videos, and basically it is another student, like ourselves, studying. Some study for 25 minutes, take a 5-minute break then ontinue the cycle. This is the one I use > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nn4xG7nbP4&t=2636s

I think this gives the sense of being back in the library, or studying with friends. Anyway, it has kept me disciplined to stay focused!

So yeah, for me a good routine, caffeine and yoga have kept my motivations above water during these uncertain times.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Megan
Business Management student at Coventry Uni
loooopppyyy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've also really struggled with the motivation required to complete my final years studies.

What I have found works for me is if you open your dissertation and find the dreaded wall (so to speak), what really helps is closing it and jumping into one of your other assignments.

It might seem counter intuitive at first splitting your focus up but it really works as this block is usually down to over thinking. You will often find you have ideas float up when you are distracted on something else.

Staring at something and trying to force thoughts out rarely produces positive outcomes.
csnerd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
spend 30 mins on tsr, spend 30 mins writing ur dissertation

repeat until u go to bed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.49%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (30)
23.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (55)
43.65%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.87%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.17%

Watched Threads