roseflamingo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Would you go to a university because you like it and is your dream uni but has a similar course you want to do or would you go to a university that’s lower in ranking but has the correct course you want to do and can lead to better career pathways and choices?
smarties2824
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
imo course>uni (as long as you at least semi like the uni) - you'll feel happier studying exactly what you want to study!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by roseflamingo)
Would you go to a university because you like it and is your dream uni but has a similar course you want to do or would you go to a university that’s lower in ranking but has the correct course you want to do and can lead to better career pathways and choices?
Hey roseflamingo!

Personally, I always say to people you should choose a subject/course you actually enjoy/want to study otherwise you won't be happy regardless of how 'good' the university is. Whilst at university, your friends and things you get up to can and will change but your course won't, if that makes sense? There's a lot of factors to think about. What are the reasons that the other university is your dream uni?

Courtney - Official Student Rep
Racresmol
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'd say it's a balance, even if course has some more weight than uni. It depends on the specifics and a much better uni with a slightly worse course would be preferable, for example
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi roseflamingo
Personally, when I was looking at universities I looked more at the course to start with. As others have said, if you don't enjoy your course then you won't enjoy uni as much regardless of which university you end up at. That being said, there are other factors to university life that are important, like location and campus to consider so you need to think about all factors together. As others have mentioned thinking about why your dream uni is your dream uni might help. What do they offer that other unis don't?
Let us know if you have any more questions
Sophie
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
course 100%.

Many universities do a similar course just it might be assessed differently
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi roseflamingo

Both are important factors as you will want to study something you enjoy, but you will also want to like the uni as you will be there for 3 years or so. However, I personally would say the course is a bit more important as every uni has different modules and studying a course that you are enjoy about will make it a lot easier to do your uni work and assignments.

Zaira 😊
Last edited by hallamstudents; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (662)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (842)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.5%

Watched Threads