The Student Room Group

What type of engineering is the best to do?

Currently, confused about whether to do aerospace eng chemical eng mechanical eng civil eng and electrical eng? I want to know which has the highest pay and also want to know which has the best job prospect opportunities now and in the future?
the more information i get the better please
Original post by Studentwithneeds
Currently, confused about whether to do aerospace eng chemical eng mechanical eng civil eng and electrical eng? I want to know which has the highest pay and also want to know which has the best job prospect opportunities now and in the future?

The one that you enjoy the most.
Original post by RogerOxon
The one that you enjoy the most

i got 3 U's at a-level and currently am in a foundation year for engineering, next year i will have to pick one of the engineering above and dont know which one i enjoy the most
i got 3 U's at a-level and currently am in a foundation year for engineering, next year i will have to pick one of the engineering above and dont know which one i enjoy the most

You need to do your own research, to find which is best for you. Using average salaries to decide is not a good approach - you might hate 40+ hours a week, which isn't going to help you do well.
Original post by RogerOxon
You need to do your own research, to find which is best for you. Using average salaries to decide is not a good approach - you might hate 40+ hours a week, which isn't going to help you do well.

how do i begin my research and what are the things i need to look into? i need abit of guidance
how do i begin my research and what are the things i need to look into? i need abit of guidance

1. Figure out what your other interests are in life.
2. Work your way backwards from that, and relate your interests to engineering

If that doesn't work... then,
1. Figure out what your aptitudes are. You can take aptitude tests for this.
2. Pick a career that matches your aptitudes the best.

1. Think of someone who inspired you, and what their interests were and what their career was
2. Try it out for yourself.

End if
End Sub

Spoiler

Which uni are you at?
Reply 7

Well I'd probably start with what you're interested in. Do you like technology and tinkering with electronics? Electrical. Are you big into cars and machinery? Mechanical. Do you like the thought of designing buildings and working on site? Civil.

From there you can then work out what you're best at etc.
Original post by harris358
Which uni are you at?

i am at Teesside university and i got my grades due to a reason
Original post by NonIndigenous
1. Figure out what your other interests are in life.
2. Work your way backwards from that, and relate your interests to engineering

1. Figure out what your aptitudes are. You can take aptitude tests for this.
2. Pick a career that matches your aptitudes the best.

1. Think of someone who inspired you, and what their interests were and what their career was
2. Try it out for yourself.

End if
End Sub

Spoiler

thanks you for this i really apppreicate it
Best job prospects: probably Electrical Eng
Highest pay: possibly Aerospace Eng

It really depends on what you enjoy doing, but you'll need to do your own research for it because the job market is always changing. Engineers, however, will always be in high demand.
After looking for placements and internships, I found it doesnt actually matter a huge deal.
Civil is the most different of the 4 types you mentioned. Electrical is probably the hardest imo.
Mech is the most general so if you dont know what you want to do then go for mech. But if you have interest in planes then go for aero. Most people i know that do either mech or aero from various unis have said theyre similar but aero tends to have at least one module dedicated to planes

Salary is determined more by industry than discipline, and prospects can vary depending on the relative numbers of graduates versus the approximate number of available and suitable positions. Something broad like mechanical is applicable to many different industries, and if you do electrical you'll probably have much more exposure to programming which may help with getting software jobs if you are interested in that.
Reply 13

I don't really know about chemical so I won't comment on that, but here's my opinion on choosing between the other 3. So I'm civil and I'd say that civil is the most different to the other 3. If you don't really like electronics and aren't excited about the prospect of building a robot, then go with civil. If these things interest you, I'd look into the other 3. Aerospace is really a subset of mechanical, so 1st I'd try to choose between mechanical and electrical and see where you go from there. I went to open days and looked at uni websites to see what modules and projects from all the different types interested me the most, and used that to help aid my decision. Good luck!!!
i am at Teesside university and i got my grades due to a reason

Hi @Studentwithneeds

Give our careers team a shout and we can help with your decision on which route to take after your foundation :smile: everything is online at the moment but drop a message over here and we can help. Speak to your tutor as well - staff are working from home whilst university buildings are closed but just email and ask for some support, that's what we're here for.

As others have said, you'll need to consider what kind of career and lifestyle you're looking for to help with your decision, and doing your own reading and research around different roles in engineering will help with this. Check out all of our engineering course pages and consider the modules in the course details tabs, as well as the employability tabs. Prospects is a good place to read around your options too - have a look here. Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest