Interrogation - Coerced Confession

Watch
PuddingBear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, I was watching a show called “Bull”, and a few episodes include someone confessing to something they didn’t commit, generally in an interrogation. So, I was wondering, how often does this happen in real life? Why do cops do this? Why do they actually confess? Thx.
bambi1425
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they used to do it to close the case and be able to say they 'solved' it. they confess cause they were either coerced into a 'deal' or were easily manipulated due to other circumstances. that's what I always thought they used to do it for
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It does sometimes happen in real life.
Sometimes people who aspire to notoriety make false confessions to serious crimes trying to get attention or be feared as a vicious criminal.
Other people make false confessions because they have been threatened with serious violence by the real culprit, bullied by police officers that don't follow the rules of interrogation, trying to prevent a friend/relative from being convicted or because they feel morally responsible for the harm done to the victim (although they did not commit any crime).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads