The Student Room Group

Should I choose my firm and insurance choice in this unpredictable time?

I'm a bit unsure as to whether to accept a firm choice right now. Times are unpredictable, even though it's been said what is going to happen. I'm a bit scared I won't get in. I'm one person who was hoping for the last push in the exams. The offer I want to make my firm is offering BBB, and I think I will probably get either CBB or CCB. Do you think I should choose my offers now or wait? And if I did get those grades, do you think I would still be able to get in?
Original post by Young_
I'm a bit unsure as to whether to accept a firm choice right now. Times are unpredictable, even though it's been said what is going to happen. I'm a bit scared I won't get in. I'm one person who was hoping for the last push in the exams. The offer I want to make my firm is offering BBB, and I think I will probably get either CBB or CCB. Do you think I should choose my offers now or wait? And if I did get those grades, do you think I would still be able to get in?

Unfortunately, the nature of UCAS replies means that if you don't respond to your offers before May 19th you will lose all of them and automatically be referred to clearing ( which presumable won't work in many people's favour given the current circumstances). Year 13 exam results at the earliest will be revealed at the end of July or else on August 13th. I would pick the university you could see yourself going to instead of settling for a place you don't really want to be in.
Original post by Young_

I would firm the one you want to go to. It is highly likely that a university requiring BBB will accept those grades. Most universities accept 1 or 2 dropped grades every year and the likelyhood is universities are likely to be lenient this year. If possible choose an insurance requiring slightly lower grades.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
I would firm the one you want to go to. It is highly likely that a university requiring BBB will accept those grades. Most universities accept 1 or 2 dropped grades every year and the likelyhood is universities are likely to be lenient this year. If possible choose an insurance requiring slightly lower grades.

Honestly, that's what I needed to hear haha. I'm stressing a bit about it. The 'issue' is that I have always wanted to go to this university, and they gave me lower grades than advertised so the only other university with grades that I could get in with is BBB again. So I don't really have any good insurance choice. So I have just chosen my firm as the university I am talking about here with BBB and also the other university offering BBB as my insurance.
Original post by Young_
Honestly, that's what I needed to hear haha. I'm stressing a bit about it. The 'issue' is that I have always wanted to go to this university, and they gave me lower grades than advertised so the only other university with grades that I could get in with is BBB again. So I don't really have any good insurance choice. So I have just chosen my firm as the university I am talking about here with BBB and also the other university offering BBB as my insurance.

I dont have any actual percentages but as an example I know of someone who has been accepted on actual grades of BCD this year from 3 universities in the top 40 including a Russell Group university for AAB or ABB courses. The very top like Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE dont but nearly everywhere else has tended to accept dropped grades over the last 5 or 6 years and is likely to do this year. Interestingly a couple of guys on the Law forum made Freedom of Information requests to universities last year and many were accepting dropped grades sometimes as low as your expected grades
Reply 5
I dont have any actual percentages but as an example I know of someone who has been accepted on actual grades of BCD this year from 3 universities in the top 40 including a Russell Group university for AAB or ABB courses. The very top like Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE dont but nearly everywhere else has tended to accept dropped grades over the last 5 or 6 years and is likely to do this year. Interestingly a couple of guys on the Law forum made Freedom of Information requests to universities last year and many were accepting dropped grades sometimes as low as your expected grades

By "accepted on actual grades of BCD," do you mean they have just gotten an offer or actually been accepted within the university?
Actual unconditional offer as already has achieved BCD last year so is in on those grades and not resitting. The evidence from the Law forum is very interesting.
Reply 7
Actual unconditional offer as already has achieved BCD last year so is in on those grades and not resitting. The evidence from the Law forum is very interesting.

Oh wow. That's great. Do you think you could link me to the Law forum or screenshot it for me?
Reply 8
I would select the places you want to go to - no-one knows what will happen this year. Lots of students may decide to take a year out and numbers of overseas students are likely to decline. Better to give yourself a chance and see what happens, and if your grades are not what you hope for consider sitting the exams when this becomes possible.
Original post by Young_
Oh wow. That's great. Do you think you could link me to the Law forum or screenshot it for me?

This is the link to the law forum. It is in the sticky Law extravaganza. For some reason I cannot get into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending