What maths subjects should i study at the bare minimum for a Pass Grade in GCSE?

Watch
Milwyr-Celtaidd
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Would i be able to achieve a pass grade in GCSE Maths by ONLY studying Algebra and Geometry and measure????? What you fellas think? Also what is the best way to study these?
ClayJensen817
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Milwyr-Celtaidd)
Would i be able to achieve a pass grade in GCSE Maths by ONLY studying Algebra and Geometry and measure????? What you fellas think? Also what is the best way to study these?
No you wont. It would be very complicated. Instead you can take foundation level which is much easier but has higher grade boundaries
Dancer2001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On one hand it’s a bit risky because you don’t actually know which topics will come up and which will be left off. On the other hand, as long as you can fill out a venn diagram and a tree diagram, you can usually afford to lose a few statistics marks.
I’m assuming you’re confident on the number stuff (eg. Prime factorisation, non-calc fractions stuff)?
If you’re confident about number and algebra, you could probably answer the ratio and proportion questions anyway.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 year ago
Revise It
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would recommend using Corbett Maths and past papers to cover a broader range of topics, at GCSE its far better to have a grasp of alot of topics rather than of 1 or 2.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you really are intent on doing the minimum work possible, learn all the foundation content and do the foundation paper.

If you are only aiming for a pass and want to do the higher paper, (which is only really for people who could get a 6 or above) you should instead neglect the higher grade topics within say algebra and geometry and measure. (for instance - you can certainly neglect stuff like quadratics and circle theorems) These topics have subtopics that cover the whole grade spectrum 1-9, you can't simply "forget" about one of them. Again - there's no reason to do the higher paper if you want to do the requisite amount of work for a grade 5 and no more.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 year ago
username4942066
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
NO!!! Study everything
InspiredPleb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, there's a lot of topics I would consider easy to remember and easy to put into practice (e.g exponential growth) that is on the higher paper that can help you get the marks for a 5. I'm someone who was awful at maths, consistently getting 4s on higher practice papers (this would get me a U if it was my actual exam) but after revising everything on the foundation spec and doing well on specific higher paper topics (quadratic inequalities etc). I managed to get a strong 6 overall for all my maths mocks only revising seriously after Christmas. There's still hope, and I'd say do the higher paper. Everyone I've talked to has said foundation is much harder to get a 5 in than higher, because of the grade boundaries. Step it up now and you'll be ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise