Is clearing worth it? Or should I transfer next year?

Watch
redflavor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So basically I bombed my exams because of anxiety and I'm in a kind of icky situation.

I got unconditional offers from De Montfort and Angla Ruskin in Psychology and I'm seriously considering clearing. Now, I wanna point out that I'm kind of a foreigner (my mum has lived in the UK for years and I wanna join her there for uni) so I'm not entirely familiar with which university is good/worth it. From what I've gathered, DMU is better.

I came up with two options:

1. Study in DMU for a year and then transfer somewhere that's considered better.
2. Do clearing, which I'm kind of scared of because what if I don't get in anywhere? Do you think risking it is worth it? I've been thinking of being for a lookout for Sheffield Hallam or University of Lincoln, do you maybe have any other suggestions I could try for from this "range"? Is it difficult to get into uni by clearing?

*I wanna point out that I'm considering all of this because I feel like my exams results aren't equivalent with my skills but because of my poor mental health I decided to take a gap year to sort myself out. So basically I have to work with what I have for now.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by redflavor)
So basically I bombed my exams because of anxiety and I'm in a kind of icky situation.

I got unconditional offers from De Montfort and Angla Ruskin in Psychology and I'm seriously considering clearing. Now, I wanna point out that I'm kind of a foreigner (my mum has lived in the UK for years and I wanna join her there for uni) so I'm not entirely familiar with which university is good/worth it. From what I've gathered, DMU is better.

1. Study in DMU for a year and then transfer somewhere that's considered better.
2. Do clearing, which I'm kind of scared of because what if I don't get in anywhere? Do you think risking it is worth it? I've been thinking of being for a lookout for Sheffield Hallam or University of Lincoln, do you maybe have any other suggestions I could try for from this "range"? Is it difficult to get into uni by clearing?

*I wanna point out that I'm considering all of this because I feel like my exams results aren't equivalent with my skills but because of my poor mental health I decided to take a gap year to sort myself out. So basically I have to work with what I have for now.
Firstly there is no appreciable difference in standards between DMU, Hallam and Lincoln so unless you have a reason for not going there it would be pointless just trying to go elsewhere through clearing. Having an unconditional offer means you are in regardless of results. As far as clearing is concerned most universities and courses go into it every year. To enter clearing you would need to give up your unconditional offer. before you can enter it so there is an element of risk involved. You shouldnt just assume that you can just transfer elsewhere. To transfer for the same year you would need to get the university's approval and they would only do so if the modules are similar and you meet their entry requirements so that is another risk. Otherwise you would have to re start year 1 so it is pretty pointless.

You need to deide which option is right for you. I cannot see any sense in your other options so unless you have other reasons I would stick with DMU.
University of Lincoln
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by redflavor)

Hi redflavor

We understand this must be a challenging time for you and if you would like any guidance on your options, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01522 886 097. We have a dedicated Student Support and Wellbeing Service at Lincoln and our Admissions Team will be able to discuss your options with you - regardless of where you may decide to study.

Hope that helps and good luck

Lewis
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi redflavor

Congratulations on your unconditional offers, both are good universities so it is definitely worth finding more about their courses and about university life from their current students to see if it suits you and you enjoy it? Find out what the city is like and whether it suits your needs and that it isn't a long journey home to visit your mum.

If you started at DMU you can see how you enjoy it. I'm not too sure about how often transfers are granted, but it can be an option for people if they have good grades in their first year. You would have to speak to someone from our admissions team on [email protected] or 0114 225 5533 to find out more. They would be happy to speak to you regardless of which universities you want to talk about. I would definitely advise calling up the unis your hold your offers with so they can help you with your queries.

Clearing is a good option for many students, however Psychology is a very popular course so it is not guaranteed that there will be places in clearing our what the grades will drop by. Keep an eye out on our Clearing page for more details and you can check the frequently asked questions we received about clearing

Hope this helps a little, let me know if you have any more questions about Hallam!

- Ella
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.08%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.45%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (646)
49.16%

Watched Threads