The Student Room Group

Studying physics

I’ve recently withdrew from my first year law course after having quite a big change of heart. I’m currently trying to look for a new degree and was thinking about physics, I’ve always been interested in the subject and other science topics in general. However my maths skills are subpar, I did foundation maths in GCSE and have never been confident but my attitudes have massively changed and I’m thinking about making the commitment to study it. I’m wondering what advice any physics students and post graduates can give me about this and if anyone has been in the same boat and whether I should give up before starting and chose another scientific discipline.
Original post by Harrisonsmith663
I’ve recently withdrew from my first year law course after having quite a big change of heart. I’m currently trying to look for a new degree and was thinking about physics, I’ve always been interested in the subject and other science topics in general. However my maths skills are subpar, I did foundation maths in GCSE and have never been confident but my attitudes have massively changed and I’m thinking about making the commitment to study it. I’m wondering what advice any physics students and post graduates can give me about this and if anyone has been in the same boat and whether I should give up before starting and chose another scientific discipline.

follow your dreams and choose based on the career ur looking at, for me i want be a lawnmower so im taking a Physical Education Course
Not trying to be disheartening, but you will need to learn several years worth of maths in order to do a physics degree (be confident with all core A-level maths material at minimum to start the degree)
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Not trying to be disheartening, but you will need to learn several years worth of maths in order to do a physics degree (be confident with all core A-level maths material at minimum to start the degree)

true if u don't have a need for the degree to reach your dreams your just pouring money and time down the drain
You will definitely need a level maths to study physics degree.
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM

No I understand it was a long shot really.
I was thinking about a foundation degree, I’m not sure if this changes anything
I was thinking about a foundation degree, I’m not sure if this changes anything

what career/ job do you want
Original post by JohnMiller711
what career/ job do you want

I was looking along the lines of researcher or teacher/lecturer
I was looking along the lines of researcher or teacher/lecturer

To become a researcher or university lecturer, you will need to complete an undergrad 4-year course (integrated masters) and a PhD (another 4 years or so): it is a big time investment!! And then temporary postdoctoral positions and later permanent faculty positions are highly competitive. Just some things to bear in mind :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending