The Student Room Group

Why won't the government reveal their long-term coronavirus strategy?

Now I doubt it is because they do not have one. Is it because they don't want to announce it because they feel as if it appears restrictions easing are on the horizon people will start breaking the rules? As one doctor puts it, borders would have to be closed for decades to stop it resurging https://www.rt.com/op-ed/485513-uk-government-covid-lockdown/. A lockdown until a vaccine is impossible. So why won't the government reveal their strategy? They're becoming as bad as the CCP.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ferrograd
Now I doubt it is because they do not have one. Is it because they don't want to announce it because they feel as if it appears restrictions easing are on the horizon people will start breaking the rules? As one doctor puts it, borders would have to be closed for decades to stop it resurging https://www.rt.com/op-ed/485513-uk-government-covid-lockdown/. A lockdown until a vaccine is impossible. So why won't the government reveal their strategy? They're becoming as bad as the CCP.

I honestly think that the reason they aren't being clear, isn't because they don't want us to know... its because they don't know.

I don't think they have a clear plan that they are decided on at all. This isn't an even that they planned for, and while I'm sure they have mapped out many possible options for us, and how each will play out, I don't think they want to expose them until they know which will happen, or which they will be forced into choosing.
They are probably waiting to see what happens in countries where restrictions are eased. They can then base their policy partly on that knowledge.
(edited 3 years ago)

You're citing Russia Today (RT) as a source for your concerns. This is widely considered to be a source of reproachable news.
Reply 4
They have explained it.

Herd immunity whilst managing pressure on NHS.

Perhaps thats the aim rather than plan though?
Reply 5
Original post by KaptainCliff
You're citing Russia Today (RT) as a source for your concerns. This is widely considered to be a source of reproachable news.

With Russians thinking the same of the BBC lol.
Reply 6

So armchair idiots like you can 'analyse' with your zero knowledge of science? Why bother?

Why are you so obsessed with posting hundreds of times a day about this topic, rather than posting in existing threads?

Why are you trying to sound like the only person who knows what's going on, when you consistently get details wrong?

What is your problem?

This is a war. Just as we had no exit plan in Iraq, so too we don't have an exit plan or strategy here. The government are fighting this on a day-by-day basis and to be fair, that is more or less the best they can do. Any one who says otherwise either has vested interests one way or another, is uninformed or is purely speculating.
I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous now.

The last time I checked, the OP had started seventy threads relating to the coronavirus. That was a week ago. I can only assume so much goodwill.
Original post by ByEeek
This is a war. Just as we had no exit plan in Iraq, so too we don't have an exit plan or strategy here. The government are fighting this on a day-by-day basis and to be fair, that is more or less the best they can do. Any one who says otherwise either has vested interests one way or another, is uninformed or is purely speculating.

I don't think there is a way of planning for exit if it is not even in sight yet. The best they can do is wait till things get better and then they can plan for what to do.
Original post by Admit-One
I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous now.

The last time I checked, the OP had started seventy threads relating to the coronavirus. That was a week ago. I can only assume so much goodwill.

PRSOM
Why is it a problem if I start 70 threads on this? Last time I checked TSR had not outlawed this. Most of the coronavirus thread is just people talking about rubbish rather than asking serious questions like this. I increasingly feel like I'm being treated as a political prisoner on TSR. My views are being repressed and I am forced to relegate my intellect and general questions to a poorly moderated thread which contains over 400 pages off mostly non intelligible rubbish that is often unrelated to COVID-19.
Intellect???
If you're going to ask relevant and meaningful questions on Covid-19 then great. However it helps if, instead of spouting conspiracy-like posts, you present a reasoned and referable argument. Try conducting some proper research and presenting areas the gov't can improve on - all you're doing is contributing to the spread of irrationality. NB: reading Russia Today is not research.
Because the general public are not particularly bright and need to focus on one thing at a time.

It is very much a "cross that bridge when we come to it" mentality.
It won’t be wise to say “this is our plan” when it’s a disease we still know so little about, other then mass testing and regular lockdown reviews.
My views are being repressed and I am forced to relegate my intellect and general questions to a poorly moderated thread which contains over 400 pages off mostly non intelligible rubbish that is often unrelated to COVID-19.

We have yet to see any evidence of your intellect.

You signed up to a forum by signing the terms and conditions. One of those regarded spam. You are guilty - many times over - of spamming the forums, posting in the wrong place, and generally being a bit of a ****.

You're not being intellectual, you're being a tool.
Original post by KaptainCliff

Regardless, the link isn't a news report but an op-ed by a NHS GP, and there's a link to his own website. Actually he asks the kind of questions anyone might ask, and he's right to say we should be expecting the government to answer them when it can.
Original post by Justvisited
Regardless, the link isn't a news report but an op-ed by a NHS GP, and there's a link to his own website. Actually he asks the kind of questions anyone might ask, and he's right to say we should be expecting the government to answer them when it can.

To be honest I didn't read it. Perhaps not right of me to criticise something I've not read; I'm quite particular over my sources of news - RT doesn't cut it.

Because their strategy is aimed more at saving the economy than people's lives and for some reason that p*sses people off. It is all calculated very carefully to put in minimum restrictions for the minimum amount of time that people won't complain much, but the economy will be favoured over individual life. They know exactly how much financial loss they can afford before the point of no return and they will unlock the country before then. You can already see they are doing the maximum they can to make people think things are going okay (including only reporting corona deaths that happen in hospital)

Quick Reply

Latest