GCSE Science Combined Equivalency Test

Watch this thread
danisedgewick
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there, is anyone due to take the science equivalency test this year? Currently I cannot book mine due to COVID-19 so I am waiting for exam dates to open. If anyone else is currently studying for this exam...any help would be most grateful on how to revise! I have the syllabus from equivalencytesting.com, just seeing if there are better ways/links to revise from! I wish I had studied more at school! lol!
I am due to start my PGCE this September but need a C in science first.
Thanks!
Dania
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by danisedgewick)
Hi there, is anyone due to take the science equivalency test this year? Currently I cannot book mine due to COVID-19 so I am waiting for exam dates to open. If anyone else is currently studying for this exam...any help would be most grateful on how to revise! I have the syllabus from equivalencytesting.com, just seeing if there are better ways/links to revise from! I wish I had studied more at school! lol!
Thanks!
Dania
Hello Dania

The best place to revise GCSE Science is on the BBC Bitesize. It's designed specifically for that job, is easily understood and has specific tasks to help you embed the necessary knowledge. All the best in your test.

Jane
Birdnest2046
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello Dania

The best place to revise GCSE Science is on the BBC Bitesize. It's designed specifically for that job, is easily understood and has specific tasks to help you embed the necessary knowledge. All the best in your test.

Jane
Thank you for the information. I have registered for GCSE as a private candidate, however it has been cancelled this year. And the equivalency tests are not available as well due to the covid-19. I am worried that I am not able to sit the equivalency tests and get the results before the PGCE course starts which means I might have to do it next academic year. Could you please give me any advice on this? Thx!
Get into Teaching
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Birdnest2046)
Thank you for the information. I have registered for GCSE as a private candidate, however it has been cancelled this year. And the equivalency tests are not available as well due to the covid-19. I am worried that I am not able to sit the equivalency tests and get the results before the PGCE course starts which means I might have to do it next academic year. Could you please give me any advice on this? Thx!
Hi,

Please keep watching the Get Into Teaching Page which will keep you up to date with all things that Covid-19 is affecting for teacher training applicants:

https://getintoteaching.education.go...-on-applicants

Your training provider may well be able to give you further guidance also. Please do not panic about the situation, you are certainly not the only person in this position. Keep checking for updates.

Sue
Rose1606
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I'm due to take my science equivalency test on 13th May but I doubt it will be happening. I'm finding it very hard to revise for with everything that's going on. Worried as to whether I'll be able to do the course in September due it everything.
Get into Teaching
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi Rose1606,
It is indeed very unsettling time. To put your mind at rest, I would suggest that you contact the equivalency testing company to see if the tests will be going ahead and if they have made some provisions for the current situation- you have quite a few months to go before you start the course so try not to worry- it might just be a case that the exams will be delayed by a few weeks. As my colleague Sue previously mentioned , keep monitoring the Get Into Teaching Page which will keep you up to date with all things that Covid-19 is affecting for teacher training applicants:

https://getintoteaching.education.go...-on-applicants

Your training provider may well be able to give you further guidance also.

If you are struggling to focus on your science revision at the moment, you might enjoy watching GCSE science revision by Primrose Kitten on Youtube. She is very engaging and motivating.
Good luck!
Laure
Empson
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I am also doing combined science with equivalency testing! I also am due to start a Schools Direct in September, not sure if you work in a school but they emailed me to say you can sit the exam there. Also I am struggling to revise as I feel like I’ll never remember all of it! Wishing I studied more at school too!!
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I did the IGCSE in Biology to get on to my PGCE and used the CPG revision guides.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey im suppose to be doing my science equivalency test too. Worried that it may not go ahead, i don't want to defer my PGCE.
Rose1606
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Empson)
I am also doing combined science with equivalency testing! I also am due to start a Schools Direct in September, not sure if you work in a school but they emailed me to say you can sit the exam there. Also I am struggling to revise as I feel like I’ll never remember all of it! Wishing I studied more at school too!!
Yes I do work in a school. I'm waiting to hear from my uni as to what will happen with the test. It's so much to remember isn't it? I am really struggling, don't think I'll pass tbh. I'll be gutted
Get into Teaching
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thanks!
Dania
Hi Dania,

GCSE Bitesize is a great resource and there is also a new government website:

www.thenational.academy/online-classroom

All providers are very aware of the current situation and it will probably be worth contacting them to ask their advice as well. Many applicants will be in the same position.

Good Luck

Sue
wilson fafa
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
they have no expectation about the viruse now
Get into Teaching
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thanks!
Dania
Hi Dania

There are various resources you can access to help with your revision. GCSE Bitesize is a good one, also the government have put launched a website for on line learning:

www.thenational.academy/online-classroom

Please also contact your future teacher training provider for advice, you will not be the only one in this position.

Good luck

Sue
Get into Teaching
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Hey im suppose to be doing my science equivalency test too. Worried that it may not go ahead, i don't want to defer my PGCE.
Hi,

I suggest that you contact the teacher training provider for advice? Obviously they are aware of the current situation and you will not be the only one in this position.

Sue
Empson
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You can pay to sit the exam at school. Your headteacher will need to agree to it, if you email them they will send you a form you’ll need to fill out and you & headteacher can agree on a date! Yes it is, I’m making revision cards to try and help. When are you planning on sitting the exam?
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Empson)
You can pay to sit the exam at school. Your headteacher will need to agree to it, if you email them they will send you a form you’ll need to fill out and you & headteacher can agree on a date! Yes it is, I’m making revision cards to try and help. When are you planning on sitting the exam?
is this only if you work at a school?
Empson
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I believe so, but I’m not sure. Worth an email to double check
Get into Teaching
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

This is a very unsettling time as my colleagues have mentioned earlier. Please be reassured again that you are not alone in this situation. Do keep checking on the websites of your providers of the Initial Teacher Training course you have applied to for updates and the assessment ones too as things are changing all the time and new information is being released. I also noticed one assessment site has now sent up a number to call and new form for online queries in general which is useful.
Revision wise as mentioned earlier BBC Bitesize is great and www.thenational.academy/online-classroom new website is super too. Help this all helps
Olivia
Empson
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone know the pass rate for the Combined Science exam?
Rose1606
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
So my test has now been cancelled for May. They have said that they are looking in to other solutions. So not sure what's going to happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads