The Student Room Group

Ultimate Year 10 Study Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trathnagiri
Hi,
Thank you for replying :yes:
I'm mostly worried about grammar as I'm not really good at it and I keep mixing my tenses up when I'm writing. I'm also kinda worried about vocab as so far I've only focused on the words for foundation and now I've got all the higher ones to learn as well. :dontknow:

But never the less I'm really happy that I've moved to higher cause now I can aim for the higher grades.:u: I think the best I'm at is reading as I feel like its a bit easier. The translation bit is okay as well if its French to English though I sometimes struggle with the English to French part. I'm not sure about speaking cause we were only supposed to start it after the Easter holidays... so I think they'll work on it after school reopens again. Listening is okay but sometimes I have to guess because of the accent. :shy2:

Kerboodle is like this textbook that aqa published. It has like exercises and listening practice stuff.. But I personally feel like its mainly for exam revision before exams rather than using it for actual studying.

So sorry for the long message :frown: and once again a huge Thank you your help!!!:h:

No worries :grin:
For grammar and tenses, I would certainly try Conjuguemos as I mentioned. If you really struggle with tenses though, I would start of with the 4 main ones (être, avoir, aller and faire) in each tense. :yep: These are super duper useful in any situation, so make flashcards for them on Quizlet to review or if you're more of a visual learner, then you could stick post it notes around your room with the separate tenses.

For each of the 8 modules, I would pick about 3 or 4 main verbs and conjugate them all into the present, perfect, imperfect, near future, future and conditional. :blow: I would then do the same for these verbs as for the 4 main ones, I would create flashcards or ways to remember them. It is tedious, but honestly it helps because with the regular verbs, you begin to see patterns forming with -er, -ir and -re verbs.

If you think you could manage it, then of course you can learn me but if you really struggle then it's best to have a few verbs properly conjugated in every case. :yep:

Higher vocabulary is based on foundation, just in more depth. Again, Memrise and Quizlet are incredible for vocabulary- they do absolute wonders! :dumbells: When I was preparing for mocks all throughout this year in French, I used either Memrise or Quizlet for about 5 minutes a day as all 4 exams revolve around the knowledge of good vocabulary. Have you been through your specification or a revision guide? It may be an idea to create flashcards for unknown vocabulary and revise them? :dontknow:

Also you could do blurt pages, where you pick a random topic from a module (after studying it, but not straight after :biggrin:) and then write down as much vocabulary based on that topic as you possibly can. Any that you missed could go into a Quizlet set or flashcards. The thing with languages is that it's about remembering patterns, and people do that in various ways. I like putting Spanish grammar rules to the tunes of songs, I didn't do this for French. :flute: Whatever helps you, do it.

Being entered into higher is a huge advantage, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I guess translation is also based upon grammar and vocab knowledge, so if you stick to a constant routine then you will do great! :gfight:

The thing with listening is honestly practice. If you find it difficult, I would learn words on Memrise from a course that has audio and that actually pronounces the words (some community created courses have this, some don't but all official courses for French do :borat:). Listening to French music can be quite tricky, so maybe when you feel more confident you could start listening and searching up some lyrics to follow along with. I feel to improve listening and speaking in general, it's important to know and understand separate sounds that are made. For this, I would recommend a YouTube channel called Alexa Teaches French, she's made a whole collection of pronounciation (and grammar) videos :awesome: she is great.

If you are struggling to pronounce a certain word, I would use Forvo which is a website that native speakers share pronounciations on. :rave: As a general go to, instead of using google translate I would suggest downloading Word Reference, which is a really accurate app for translation.

Ohhhh, thanks for letting me know! :five: If it improves your exam technique then go for it, but if you feel it's useless then I would honestly try your own revision methods.

It's fine *mine's even longer :rofl:* , I'm more than happy to help anytime. Apologies for the even longer message.
Original post by **Crumbles**
No worries :grin:
For grammar and tenses, I would certainly try Conjuguemos as I mentioned. If you really struggle with tenses though, I would start of with the 4 main ones (être, avoir, aller and faire) in each tense. :yep: These are super duper useful in any situation, so make flashcards for them on Quizlet to review or if you're more of a visual learner, then you could stick post it notes around your room with the separate tenses.

For each of the 8 modules, I would pick about 3 or 4 main verbs and conjugate them all into the present, perfect, imperfect, near future, future and conditional. :blow: I would then do the same for these verbs as for the 4 main ones, I would create flashcards or ways to remember them. It is tedious, but honestly it helps because with the regular verbs, you begin to see patterns forming with -er, -ir and -re verbs.

If you think you could manage it, then of course you can learn me but if you really struggle then it's best to have a few verbs properly conjugated in every case.

Higher vocabulary is based on foundation, just in more depth. Again, Memrise and Quizlet are incredible for vocabulary- they do absolute wonders! :dumbells: When I was preparing for mocks all throughout this year in French, I used either Memrise or Quizlet for about 5 minutes a day as all 4 exams revolve around the knowledge of good vocabulary. Have you been through your specification or a revision guide? It may be an idea to create flashcards for unknown vocabulary and revise them? :dontknow:

Also you could do blurt pages, where you pick a random topic from a module (after studying it, but not straight after :biggrin:) and then write down as much vocabulary based on that topic as you possibly can. Any that you missed could go into a Quizlet set or flashcards. The thing with languages is that it's about remembering patterns, and people do that in various ways. I like putting Spanish grammar rules to the tunes of songs, I didn't do this for French. :flute: Whatever helps you, do it.

Being entered into higher is a huge advantage, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I guess translation is also based upon grammar and vocab knowledge, so if you stick to a constant routine then you will do great! :gfight:

The thing with listening is honestly practice. If you find it difficult, I would learn words on Memrise from a course that has audio and that actually pronounces the words (some community created courses have this, some don't but all official courses for French do :borat:). Listening to French music can be quite tricky, so maybe when you feel more confident you could start listening and searching up some lyrics to follow along with. I feel to improve listening and speaking in general, it's important to know and understand separate sounds that are made. For this, I would recommend a YouTube channel called Alexa Teaches French, she's made a whole collection of pronounciation (and grammar) videos :awesome: she is great.

If you are struggling to pronounce a certain word, I would use Forvo which is a website that native speakers share pronounciations on. :rave: As a general go to, instead of using google translate I would suggest downloading Word Reference, which is a really accurate app for translation.

Ohhhh, thanks for letting me know! :five: If it improves your exam technique then go for it, but if you feel it's useless then I would honestly try your own revision methods.

It's fine *mine's even longer :rofl:* , I'm more than happy to help anytime. Apologies for the even longer message.

Heyy,:hello:

I'm so sorry for not replying earlier. :cry2:I don't know how I can Thank you!:^_^: U've been a great help and these resources are wonderful!! I'm sure you'll get an amazing grade in French as you have so much knowledge on how to learn everything.:h: I went through the specification at the start of the year to print out the vocab but I guess I need to go back to it now so I can see what I know and what I need to know. :s-smilie:Revision guides wise the school gave us a BBC bitesize one and my friend gave me the cgp French book (the green old specification one) for like a week or something but then school suddenly closed so I guess I kinda still have it with me till school reopens again. I hope you get amazing grades in all your subjects as its really hard to find people that are kind and helpful like you . :thumbsup:Please do tell me if you need any help in maths ,science or English as I know a lot of resources that may help you. :yep:

Thank you so much once again for all your help, I really appreciate it:u:
Original post by trathnagiri
Heyy,:hello:

I'm so sorry for not replying earlier. :cry2:I don't know how I can Thank you!:^_^: U've been a great help and these resources are wonderful!! I'm sure you'll get an amazing grade in French as you have so much knowledge on how to learn everything.:h: I went through the specification at the start of the year to print out the vocab but I guess I need to go back to it now so I can see what I know and what I need to know. :s-smilie:Revision guides wise the school gave us a BBC bitesize one and my friend gave me the cgp French book (the green old specification one) for like a week or something but then school suddenly closed so I guess I kinda still have it with me till school reopens again. I hope you get amazing grades in all your subjects as its really hard to find people that are kind and helpful like you . :thumbsup:Please do tell me if you need any help in maths ,science or English as I know a lot of resources that may help you. :yep:

Thank you so much once again for all your help, I really appreciate it:u:

Hello , :hi:

Honestly, it's not a problem :thumbsup: I'm just glad that I could help in some way because I've had to self teach myself French throughout all of Year 10 (so I know how it feels). :yep: I hope I get a good grade, I honestly don't know what's happening as I was supposed to sit it this year and my circumstances were a bit weird. :rofl:

The CGP ones are good, that's what I used (except I have the one that's got both revision and practice :five:). Thank you, that really means a lot to me! You sound really committed too, and I'm sure you will do incredibly well next year :rave: The same goes for you, just PM me if you would like any advice or just to chat in general about Year 10 :lol:

No worries, and thank you too :biggrin:
Reply 163
Hey

I'm a 15 year old girl

I'm am currently studying:
Health and social care Cambridge nationals
History edexcel
Geography AQA
Maths AQA
English AQA
And
Science AQA
So after these new announcements by the English government, is school open for Year 10s on June 1st?
Hii does anyone know how to do well in English, my grades aren't the best.I just really wish there was a textbook for English.
Original post by foreverrocking
Hii does anyone know how to do well in English, my grades aren't the best.I just really wish there was a textbook for English.

Hi, are you asking in terms of learning the content and getting good marks in it or good websites/textbooks to use ?
Great good luck🌸
Hi guys,

I'm currently in Year 11 and have GCSE books that might be of interest to you. They are for sale on eBay at great prices!

For more information, visit my eBay site at: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/euan_2004

If you wouldn't mind, please share with friends!

Thanks!
OCR GCSE COMPUTER SCIENTISTS
How are you going about revising and making notes? What websites or resources are you using? Can you recommend any to me? I'm really struggling.
Original post by D_Patel14
Hi, I'm D_Patel14!!

I am 15 years old and the subjects I am studying are:
English Literature - AQA
English Language - AQA
Maths - Edexcel
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - AQA
RE - AQA - it's compulsory
Geography A - WJEC Eduqas
Psychology - OCR
Spanish - AQA

I really want to get all 8s and 9s!!!:thumbsup:

This looks really helpful!! Thanks!!

R u Gujarati lol
Original post by king1234567890
OCR GCSE COMPUTER SCIENTISTS
How are you going about revising and making notes? What websites or resources are you using? Can you recommend any to me? I'm really struggling.

Hi, I would recommend using Computer Science Tutor. It's this youtube channel and the guy's made playlists for each paper. I use those videos and bbc bitesize to make notes.
Hope it helps! :smile:
Original post by Prableen_03
Hi, I would recommend using Computer Science Tutor. It's this youtube channel and the guy's made playlists for each paper. I use those videos and bbc bitesize to make notes.
Hope it helps! :smile:

Thank You! I'll definitely check him out.
Original post by Evil Homer

Welcome to Year 10 ultimate study group

After speaking to a few of you in the general chat thread, it seemed clear loads of people were looking for a place to chat, work together, share resources and generally study.... so here it is!!!

This thread is currently for absolutely every subject, but if here is demand to split out the conversation into different subjects or exam boards let me know and I will see what I can do :smile: I will keep the post below up to date with any useful resources or links that are shared in this thread. We may also run some fun competitions from time to time to keep things interesting and stop everyone going crazy with boredom!

If you are struggling with what your first post should be, why not share with us:

- Introduce yourself

- Subject choices

- What you are currently working on

- What you want to achieve next year

- Any extra curricular stuff you are doing for fun

If there is anything else you would like let me know.

Happy studying :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hi, I am 14, nearly 15.
I am studying:
English Literature and Language and Maths - Edexcel
Economics- OCR
Art, Spanish, Triple Sciences, Geography - AQA
Right now I am trying to improve English - my target grade is a 9 but I got 5s in both for mocks :frown:
Also Maths - target is a 9 but I got a 6 for mocks.
Next year I really hope I can get all 9s or nearly all 9s. :smile:
Hi, i am in doing AQA Combined Science- Higher. I wanted to know how to you apply the knowledge you have to questions in science. I find it pretty hard to sit down and do the past papers as i would revise the topic but yet not quite know how to apply it. I am finding it stressful because i think i do not know the content well enough but in reality i do. Can you help me out please??
Original post by adventure_123
Hi, i am in doing AQA Combined Science- Higher. I wanted to know how to you apply the knowledge you have to questions in science. I find it pretty hard to sit down and do the past papers as i would revise the topic but yet not quite know how to apply it. I am finding it stressful because i think i do not know the content well enough but in reality i do. Can you help me out please??

What i do is that i take out hte keywords for example if the question is on distillation i take out the kewords in the questions and just filter it on my mind but tbh i dont even revise that much and i got a 5 in my mocks ik its not that great but i am in yr 10

After speaking to a few of you in the general chat thread, it seemed clear loads of people were looking for a place to chat, work together, share resources and generally study.... so here it is!!!

This thread is currently for absolutely every subject, but if here is demand to split out the conversation into different subjects or exam boards let me know and I will see what I can do :smile: I will keep the post below up to date with any useful resources or links that are shared in this thread. We may also run some fun competitions from time to time to keep things interesting and stop everyone going crazy with boredom!

If you are struggling with what your first post should be, why not share with us:

- Introduce yourself

- Subject choices

Hey I’m c_wordy
I am doing:
AQA: physics, chemistry, biology, full course RS A, French and geography
IGCSE: English literature, english language and Maths
OCR: HE Food
I am working on finding work experience and doing lots of cooking
I love sport and am a Cross-country Runner, i also play lacrosse and the guitar so am quite busy!

- Introduce yourself

- Subject choices

Hey I'm Shelly :smile:
I'm doing core subjects, music, drama, history, religious studies and Hebrew
I really want to do well and get good grades (hopefully all 7s, 8s and 9s)
When I'm at school I do extracurricular activities every day so I kinda miss it in quarantine
Screenshot_20200607_092910-compressed.jpg.jpeg Times is a reliable source, right? Opinions on this?
:dancing2:I hope I actually study instead of messing about today
But hello to everyone

Quick Reply

Latest