Rachelezy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I'm starting University in September and am hoping to buy a new laptop for it. However, I'm a bit unsure of what one I should get. What are the best laptops to get for university? My budget is around £500.
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rachelezy)
Hi everyone,

I'm starting University in September and am hoping to buy a new laptop for it. However, I'm a bit unsure of what one I should get. What are the best laptops to get for university? My budget is around £500.
Look into Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer.
I have a Lenovo ideapad S340. Everything's decent except the hard drive so make sure you get an SSD version. So yeah, the ideapad line-up can be an option.
Rachelezy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you I'll have a look!
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't buy from Currys! They are too expensive and pretty much only sell consumer grade laptops.

For a HP 840 G3 or T460S or Dell Latitude E7470, aim to pay under £200 for one off ebay.
There are a lot of stupidly over-priced laptops on ebay - as per the 4 examples given in bluewolf21's post.
Don't pay over the odds. Don't buy any "optimistically priced" laptops. Buy on ebay ONLY when you see one at the right price for what it is.

£350 to £400 will get you a HP 840 G5.

If you will be using your laptop for web browsing (including youtube), word processing, simple spreadsheets, video calls, then a used premium business laptop, like an HP 840 G3 or Lenovo T460 or Dell Latitude E7470 (with an FHD display and an SSD) is a perfect tool for the job for under £200.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads