What do you think of people doing low skilled jobs all their life?

Watch
Matty2993
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
What are students opinions of this?
_xChlox_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Is it what it is, I don’t judge anyone for their job so I would not look down on someone simply because their job is classed as low skilled. Everyone does what they have to do to get by, in the end many people in “low skilled” jobs are essential for society to run functionally so if someone were in one their whole life that’s their choice and that’s okay
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Matty2993)
Very hard and limited, but not much of an opinion on it. What is it you are looking for?
Academicbee123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s a toxic trait to look down at people in “low skill jobs”. We need every single job and we should be grateful for all workers. I’m very academic and on plan for a higher skilled job, but I struggled when I worked part time as a retail worker, which may be deemed as low skill. Don’t underestimate how hard someone works just because of the perceived skill level.
Toscana
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
somebody has to do them. if they didnt do those low skilled jobs, the country would be a **** hole
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
No particular opinion on them as people
_ap12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Glad there doing something useful, Never any shame in providing for yourself or your family and if they enjoy the job then even better.
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I take my hat off to them, certainly would not judge a person by the job they did or didn't do.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
They're essential to society, life simply wouldn't function the way it does now without 'low skilled workers', and just because someone is low paid doesn't mean they're low skilled in the first place. You've got some proper issues with snobbery if you look down on someone because of their job.
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Who cares, they're doing what they can to get by.
csnerd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i don't have any opinions about them. however, my aunt looks down on 'low skilled workers.' she had a go at my mum for working in a nursery.
acelenny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My opinion on people doing these sorts of jobs depends entirely on their reason for doing it.

If someone is doing a low skilled job because it is all they can do mentally or physically, that is fine by me.

If someone is doing a low skilled job because the do not want the pain of doing anymore then I look down on them somewhat.

If someone is doing a low skilled job because they had a poor upbringing and or education, then I hope that they can recieve help to improve themself and and find a more skilled position.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
We need people to do them, and should in many cases be grateful for what they do. The only time we should perhaps not be is if illness or some factor in their upbringing prevents them considering something else.
thara987
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
people generally have low opinions on them and it sucks, not everyone has had the same privileges, the same experience, the same help and the same support as the people "at the top." chances are, these "low-skilled" jobs are often extremely physically/emationally demanding, low pay and are also essential jobs (key workers, sometimes.)
KaptainCliff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
All those so-called low skill workers in supermarkets, stacking shelves to feed the nation?
All those so-called low skill workers in hospitals, ensuring doctors and nurses all can do their jobs?
All those so-called low skill workers driving delivery vans, making sure we have what we need?

Well, call me old fashioned, but these guys are the best and I have the utmost of respect for them. Now more than ever we all have a debt to them that can never be repaid.
thara987
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i dont think there's a single person in a "low skilled job" who wouldn't grab with both hands the chance to spend time and effort on university degrees, training courses, etc. the thing is, people need a constant source of income to keep a home running, people simply dont have the money to put away and go and learn what they need to do better. this might be where grants for people to sustain themselves and their family while earning qualifications might come in useful? just thinking out loud here
Justbeingmyself
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As long as they're happy who cares? They all play a part to ensure that society functions smoothly.
username3673602
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don’t judge anyone who’s making an honest living. I’ve been a waitress for years alongside uni and have met some amazing people
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don’t think anything.

Unless they’re my colleague or employee or something, whatever job they’re doing in their own time hasn’t got much to do with me.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don’t have any opinion of them, they do a job which they have fallen into for numerous reasons.

That’s just life
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (687)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (863)
42.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (389)
19.16%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads