The Student Room Group

Politics A Level

My school doesn't teach Politics A Level. It does teach other humanities like Sociology and Psychology. This school is a good school and the only one I can reasonably attend regularly as the other schools are all too far for me. Is there any way I can get Politics added to the A Level curriculum of this school? Is there anyway I can still study it otherwise? Any information will help. Thank you
Oooh what a tough question! I think you have a number of options here:

1. Try seeing if a nearby school does Politics A Level and asking if you could join their classes for just this
2. See if there are any course online that allow online learning of alevels
3. Try doing things surrounding this in your spare time such as volunteering at your local constituency office and getting involved with grassroot organisations

As someone who did Politics A Level and then went on to study Politics at Uni, I can honestly say it didn't give me as big insight as working alongside my MP and doing Model UN. Obviously I understand why you want to do it but thing such as History and Sociology can give you the transferable skills you need.
Reply 2
Original post by chloea1920
Oooh what a tough question! I think you have a number of options here:

1. Try seeing if a nearby school does Politics A Level and asking if you could join their classes for just this
2. See if there are any course online that allow online learning of alevels
3. Try doing things surrounding this in your spare time such as volunteering at your local constituency office and getting involved with grassroot organisations

As someone who did Politics A Level and then went on to study Politics at Uni, I can honestly say it didn't give me as big insight as working alongside my MP and doing Model UN. Obviously I understand why you want to do it but thing such as History and Sociology can give you the transferable skills you need.

Thank you for the reply¡ It's always good to hear from someone with the same experience you're seeking. I'll try and carry out what you've suggested. Cheerss
Original post by JägerBomb
My school doesn't teach Politics A Level. It does teach other humanities like Sociology and Psychology. This school is a good school and the only one I can reasonably attend regularly as the other schools are all too far for me. Is there any way I can get Politics added to the A Level curriculum of this school? Is there anyway I can still study it otherwise? Any information will help. Thank you

Hey @JägerBomb!

I don't know what the likelihood is that you would be able to get the school to add it to its curriculum, however, if you are interested in studying it yourself there are plenty of resources that you can use to teach yourself! :smile: You could buy A-Level politics books which schools use - mine used AQA and they were pretty good - and you can usually find them second hand pretty cheap!

You could find past exams and use them to work through. I would also recommend following current politics, especially the current US election as it is great to use as examples of what you will be learning. I was studying A-Level politics in 2016, and we closely followed the presidential election and would always start the US Politics class by having a conversation on what was happening and our opinions etc and compare to previous campaigns and elections.

I currently study International Relations and Politics at Uni and I actually found A-Level Politics so useful as I had very limited knowledge on the subject before, however, you could definitely teach it yourself. I also studied History and Sociology and you would be surprised how much they help each other. I have come across so many sociologists and concepts learnt in A-Level sociology whilst studying my current degree that I never thought I would. History is also great as you will study political history and will help set the picture for politics today!

Hope that helps! :smile:

Courtney - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you very much for answering :smile: Didn't do history GCSE but I think I know the fundamental concepts that will help ! I'm glad that studying politics as an A Level helped you in your uni course

Quick Reply