The Student Room Group

Drama Stimuli

I'm trying to get my coursework done for drama to go towards a grade predicted by my teacher. I need to find a stimulus for each stimulus type linked to ‘war’ but we haven't done much work on stimuli in class. I would appreciate any help, cheers
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
so this is the stimulus we are using in regards to Grenfell Tower.

Aim for 330 words per question. Therefore you have to be to concise.
Each portfolio MUST be your own work
Use subject specific words and phrases to show off your understanding.

What was your initial response to the stimuli and what were the intentions of the piece?
Explain what the stimulus was.

The stimulus we were given was the BBC i-player Panorama documentary called ‘Grenfell’ which aired two years after the fire and explored safety failures which led to the tragic loss of life.
In the programme reporter Richard Bilton reveals new evidence about the safety failures that led to the deaths of 72 people at Grenfell Tower.

What was it about?
What events did it show?
What events in particular about Grenfell and why it happened caught your attention?
Shocked that two years later no one has be held to account.
That three hundred other buildings in the U.K. still have the same cladding on them that Grenfell had.
That many survivors had to wait for a long time to discover whether their loved one’s bodies were in the building or not.
The building was refurbished but they used cheaper materials to save money. That the building was unsafe after the refurbishment.
That the two materials used in the cladding had not been tested together and acted as an accelerant when on fire.
Celotex the company decided to use cheaper materials and removed the fireproof cladding during their refurbishment and undercut other rival companies which bid to do the job.
A survivor who was rehoused and experienced a second fire which took his home a second time.
When a family member of a victim stated that there was an open coffin in the community, referring to the building which was still housing the corpses of those who dies in the fire.
Explain why you found that interesting?
I found this interesting because,
I was appalled to discover this because,
I was saddened to learn this because I felt,
This made me angry because,
Therese May promised,
What do you want your devised piece to make your audience think about?
Question,
Highlight,
Reveal,
Examine,
Critique,
Consider a point of view,
Argue,
Reflect,
Identify with,
Move the audience to feel,
Inform
_____________the audience of the pain and loss people suffered so that they care about the lack of support the survivors have received.
To _______________ whether justice has been served for the victims –highlight who should be held account.
Consider any the themes, events or people you were interested in focussing on and developing into characters or scenes?
What did you want your audience to feel about the events that happened at Grenfell that you want to depict?

What work did your group do in order to explore the stimuli and start to create ideas for performance?

Explain the first few practical exercises you did to explore the part of the documentary you found interesting?
We had a movement workshop where used the skills of movement and physical theatre to,
We first watched a sugar cube dissolving in water. We discussed the stages the sugar cube went through as it dissolved,
I noticed that,
In small groups we then embodied the process as a movement chorus and showed the class.
We moved with a movement quality
My body moved…
Whilst traveling towards the floor I also resisted by trying to keep my head up,
This represented,
The movement quality seemed to symbolise
We discussed whether the choral movement reminded us of anything other than a sugar cube dissolving. Any scenes, events, characters?
I imagined,
We discussed how,
To me it looked as though,
Then we repeated the process with a dissolvable orange vitamin tablet. As a group we watched a Berocca tablet dissolving in water.

We explored how to open a tragic space. We observed a sugar cube dissolving in warm water and were asked if we could imagine something about how our theme might be transposed into a scene character, event from our theme.
Embodied what we observed which was….
We moved together as a group …..
We turned this simple movement phrase into a starting point for chorus work ….
We were asked to write some text to fit to the choral movement sequence…
When performed together they helped communicate….
In response to this practical work I/we wrote a poem about….
This later became the idea for a scene in our performance which showed, conveyed, communicated….

Describe the work you did in the workshop.
Use the PowerPoint to help you.
Explain what you wanted these early scenes to express, depict, convey to an audience.
Describe any research you did.
Rydan,
The government,
The materials used in the cladding,
The profit made by the company who got the job,
Key events in the tribunal,
Survivor’s stories or victims of the fire that interested you..

How did the research get used? What scenes came from this research?
What characters or scenes came from this research?
What did you want these scenes to reflect, communicate, convey, depict, reflect, argue?

3. What were some of the significant moments during the development process and when rehearsing and refining your work?
Consider how you made final decisions about the style and structure of your piece. Which character was is going to centre around?
What did you want your audience to understand, consider, be informed about, be aware of, empathise with?
How did your storyline and the choices you made after you mock exam help to achieve your intentions for the piece?

4. How did you consider genre, structure, character, form, style and language throughout the process?
Describe the style of your final piece.
How did you use voices and physicality tom portray your characters?
Explain how they spoke and what you wanted that to communicate to your audience about what they were like and who to empathise with.
Was your piece Dramatic, Comic, Satirical, Brechtian?
Explain how the scene order and the different scenes created contrast and got the audience thinking about the themes you wanted them to reflect on in an entertaining and engaging way.

5. How effective was your contribution to the final performance?
Consider only your role in the final performance.
Explain the moments where your performance was highly effective and describe why.
When did you use your voice or body to communicate something that was important for the audience to know, feel or react to?
Describe what you did on stage in those moments and state why these moments of yours helped the overall intention of the piece.
You can explain how they could have been more effective if you think your roles/ characters didn’t fully achieve your intentions.

6. Were you successful in what you set out to achieve?
Focus only on the final performance.
Analyse the piece as a whole.
Overall how successful were you in creating the impact you wanted to create?
Did the audience understand the message?
Did the audience laugh in the right moments?
Did you work together to create a dramatic build in the moments of dramatic tension?
Did you succeed in dramatising historical events and helping your audience gain a deeper understanding of the real people involved in that movement?
Which part of the performance was the most effective and why?
Which was the least and why?
What would you do that strengthen the weakest aspect of your performance if you had the opportunity?
Reply 2
i hope this helps haha !
Original post by madisonj16
I'm trying to get my coursework done for drama to go towards a grade predicted by my teacher. I need to find a stimulus for each stimulus type linked to ‘war’ but we haven't done much work on stimuli in class. I would appreciate any help, cheers

i know this probably won't help hugely, but since i don't know you're whole situation with your piece and whatnot.
i literally made the whole thing up. the whole thing was bull. if you know drama, you know what teachers love. i reccomend finding a full marks example and using that as a guideline, and adapting it to your piece.
i got a grade 9 in my comp 1 so yeah.
also, word count tip: you never ever need the word 'that' take it out.
Reply 4
Original post by niamhsrevision
i know this probably won't help hugely, but since i don't know you're whole situation with your piece and whatnot.
i literally made the whole thing up. the whole thing was bull. if you know drama, you know what teachers love. i reccomend finding a full marks example and using that as a guideline, and adapting it to your piece.
i got a grade 9 in my comp 1 so yeah.
also, word count tip: you never ever need the word 'that' take it out.

thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by 21marwa
so this is the stimulus we are using in regards to Grenfell Tower.

Aim for 330 words per question. Therefore you have to be to concise.
Each portfolio MUST be your own work
Use subject specific words and phrases to show off your understanding.

What was your initial response to the stimuli and what were the intentions of the piece?
Explain what the stimulus was.

The stimulus we were given was the BBC i-player Panorama documentary called ‘Grenfell’ which aired two years after the fire and explored safety failures which led to the tragic loss of life.
In the programme reporter Richard Bilton reveals new evidence about the safety failures that led to the deaths of 72 people at Grenfell Tower.

What was it about?
What events did it show?
What events in particular about Grenfell and why it happened caught your attention?
Shocked that two years later no one has be held to account.
That three hundred other buildings in the U.K. still have the same cladding on them that Grenfell had.
That many survivors had to wait for a long time to discover whether their loved one’s bodies were in the building or not.
The building was refurbished but they used cheaper materials to save money. That the building was unsafe after the refurbishment.
That the two materials used in the cladding had not been tested together and acted as an accelerant when on fire.
Celotex the company decided to use cheaper materials and removed the fireproof cladding during their refurbishment and undercut other rival companies which bid to do the job.
A survivor who was rehoused and experienced a second fire which took his home a second time.
When a family member of a victim stated that there was an open coffin in the community, referring to the building which was still housing the corpses of those who dies in the fire.
Explain why you found that interesting?
I found this interesting because,
I was appalled to discover this because,
I was saddened to learn this because I felt,
This made me angry because,
Therese May promised,
What do you want your devised piece to make your audience think about?
Question,
Highlight,
Reveal,
Examine,
Critique,
Consider a point of view,
Argue,
Reflect,
Identify with,
Move the audience to feel,
Inform
_____________the audience of the pain and loss people suffered so that they care about the lack of support the survivors have received.
To _______________ whether justice has been served for the victims –highlight who should be held account.
Consider any the themes, events or people you were interested in focussing on and developing into characters or scenes?
What did you want your audience to feel about the events that happened at Grenfell that you want to depict?

What work did your group do in order to explore the stimuli and start to create ideas for performance?

Explain the first few practical exercises you did to explore the part of the documentary you found interesting?
We had a movement workshop where used the skills of movement and physical theatre to,
We first watched a sugar cube dissolving in water. We discussed the stages the sugar cube went through as it dissolved,
I noticed that,
In small groups we then embodied the process as a movement chorus and showed the class.
We moved with a movement quality
My body moved…
Whilst traveling towards the floor I also resisted by trying to keep my head up,
This represented,
The movement quality seemed to symbolise
We discussed whether the choral movement reminded us of anything other than a sugar cube dissolving. Any scenes, events, characters?
I imagined,
We discussed how,
To me it looked as though,
Then we repeated the process with a dissolvable orange vitamin tablet. As a group we watched a Berocca tablet dissolving in water.

We explored how to open a tragic space. We observed a sugar cube dissolving in warm water and were asked if we could imagine something about how our theme might be transposed into a scene character, event from our theme.
Embodied what we observed which was….
We moved together as a group …..
We turned this simple movement phrase into a starting point for chorus work ….
We were asked to write some text to fit to the choral movement sequence…
When performed together they helped communicate….
In response to this practical work I/we wrote a poem about….
This later became the idea for a scene in our performance which showed, conveyed, communicated….

Describe the work you did in the workshop.
Use the PowerPoint to help you.
Explain what you wanted these early scenes to express, depict, convey to an audience.
Describe any research you did.
Rydan,
The government,
The materials used in the cladding,
The profit made by the company who got the job,
Key events in the tribunal,
Survivor’s stories or victims of the fire that interested you..

How did the research get used? What scenes came from this research?
What characters or scenes came from this research?
What did you want these scenes to reflect, communicate, convey, depict, reflect, argue?

3. What were some of the significant moments during the development process and when rehearsing and refining your work?
Consider how you made final decisions about the style and structure of your piece. Which character was is going to centre around?
What did you want your audience to understand, consider, be informed about, be aware of, empathise with?
How did your storyline and the choices you made after you mock exam help to achieve your intentions for the piece?

4. How did you consider genre, structure, character, form, style and language throughout the process?
Describe the style of your final piece.
How did you use voices and physicality tom portray your characters?
Explain how they spoke and what you wanted that to communicate to your audience about what they were like and who to empathise with.
Was your piece Dramatic, Comic, Satirical, Brechtian?
Explain how the scene order and the different scenes created contrast and got the audience thinking about the themes you wanted them to reflect on in an entertaining and engaging way.

5. How effective was your contribution to the final performance?
Consider only your role in the final performance.
Explain the moments where your performance was highly effective and describe why.
When did you use your voice or body to communicate something that was important for the audience to know, feel or react to?
Describe what you did on stage in those moments and state why these moments of yours helped the overall intention of the piece.
You can explain how they could have been more effective if you think your roles/ characters didn’t fully achieve your intentions.

6. Were you successful in what you set out to achieve?
Focus only on the final performance.
Analyse the piece as a whole.
Overall how successful were you in creating the impact you wanted to create?
Did the audience understand the message?
Did the audience laugh in the right moments?
Did you work together to create a dramatic build in the moments of dramatic tension?
Did you succeed in dramatising historical events and helping your audience gain a deeper understanding of the real people involved in that movement?
Which part of the performance was the most effective and why?
Which was the least and why?
What would you do that strengthen the weakest aspect of your performance if you had the opportunity?

thank you so much :smile:
thank you so much
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest