The Student Room Group

Circle Equation Question Help

Hi, could someone provide an explanation? I will attach the question in a comment.
Original post by AmazingGrace99
Hi, could someone provide an explanation? I will attach the question in a comment.

Thanks in advance
Reply 2
Original post by AmazingGrace99
Thanks in advance

Have you sketched it? Think about a line segment joining the circle centre to the origin.
Reply 3
Original post by KaptainCliff
Shortest distance from origin to centre of th

Pls delete, hints not solutions.
See the sticky at the top of the forum.
Original post by mqb2766
Pls delete, hints not solutions.
See the sticky at the top of the forum.

No. Pls stop quoting me in pointless policing posts. OP clearly wanted an explanation, not vague questions as with your useless help. See the post at the top of the thread. Thanks.
No. Pls stop quoting me in pointless policing posts. OP clearly wanted an explanation, not vague questions as with your useless help. See the post at the top of the thread. Thanks.

You effectively did OP's homework for them without really providing a 'clear explanation' anyway as to why exactly this is the shortest distance.

mqb's post at least encourages them to draw the straight line segment and see visually how the shortest distance emerges, and only then try to think how to calculate it.

It is bad practice to give away a full solution right away as its way too easy for students to just look at it, copy it down, and dont think about it much. Doesn't help their learning so much.

I suggest you provide hints and not full solutions as that way its less work for you and engages the student to think more!

I also see you're fairly new to this forum as someone who helps others, so I appreciate that it is tempting to give out a full solution to a problem that seems easy to you. But at the end of the day it's the difference of actually helping someone get an answer quickly without much effort, or helping them understand mathematics generally a bit better by investing time and struggle into it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
You effectively did OP's homework for them without really providing a 'clear explanation' anyway as to why exactly this is the shortest distance.

mqb's post at least encourages them to draw the straight line segment and see visually how the shortest distance emerges, and only then try to think how to calculate it.

It is bad practice to give away a full solution right away as its way too easy for students to just look at it, copy it down, and dont think about it much. Doesn't help their learning so much.

I suggest you provide hints and not full solutions as that way its less work for you and engages the student to think more!

I also see you're fairly new to this forum as someone who helps others, so I appreciate that it is tempting to give out a full solution to a problem that seems easy to you. But at the end of the day it's the difference of actually helping someone get an answer quickly without much effort, or helping them understand mathematics generally a bit better by investing time and struggle into it.

Thanks for taking the time to explain rather than rudely rebuking as mqb did. In the past I've tried to answer as the OP has asked; in this case an explanation was sought. I'll avoid giving full solutions herein.

I would emphasise though that full solutions can be beneficial for boosting a students confidence in their own working. I know myself that reading a full solution with narrative can improve the way I tackle maths problems where I previously had no idea how to start. I would urge the TSR "powers that be" to apply commonsense in that respect - just because there is a blanket ban on full solutions does not necessitate it being applied to every thread.

On a side note it's nice to see you're still active on this forum. I remember a number of years ago first seeing your name pop up. It's only with the current lockdown that I've been wanting to kill time on TSR and have become somewhat active again.
Thanks for taking the time to explain rather than rudely rebuking as mqb did. In the past I've tried to answer as the OP has asked; in this case an explanation was sought. I'll avoid giving full solutions herein.

I would emphasise though that full solutions can be beneficial for boosting a students confidence in their own working. I know myself that reading a full solution with narrative can improve the way I tackle maths problems where I previously had no idea how to start. I would urge the TSR "powers that be" to apply commonsense in that respect - just because there is a blanket ban on full solutions does not necessitate it being applied to every thread.

On a side note it's nice to see you're still active on this forum. I remember a number of years ago first seeing your name pop up. It's only with the current lockdown that I've been wanting to kill time on TSR and have become somewhat active again.

Indeed, full solutions are extremely beneficial, we know this as we are used to undergraduate maths. We study topics that are advanced and not so standard where hints may often not be as useful as the full argument itself where a narrative helps us understand things fully before applying them to other problems.

However the playing the field at GCSE / A-Level is slightly different in that they always have textbooks given to them with questions and how to answer them, also tons of online resources and videos on youtube, teacher access, etc... So I am often sure students know which narratives they need to construct as they have seen them before done by more experienced people.

It's just the small hints that are often good enough for them to realise what they need to argue. And if its not enough, they can ask for more help and you may as well just give the outline of the solution.

And if they are really really stuck with hints, then I often question whether they have covered any relevant background theory on the topic. Otherwise, no point doing it. TSR isnt a substitute for being taught new content.
Although you may post a full solution in this case if you feel that its the last option. I also find it useful sometimes to post a full solution for students who pretty much get through the question correctly with hints but make some mistakes in their argument/style along the way.

So there isn't so much a full ban on any and all solutions, hopefully it's understandable.

And yes, I knew I somewhat recognised you from your Dentistry after Maths thread back then! I never really left TSR although the final year of MMath is making me take a step back from this site atm even with a lockdown :lol:
Original post by RDKGames
And yes, I knew I somewhat recognised you from your Dentistry after Maths thread back then! I never really left TSR although the final year of MMath is making me take a step back from this site atm even with a lockdown :lol:

Fair enough, I take the point now.

Haha yes that was a long time ago! That was a phase I went through when I was wasn't sure what to do after I graduate. I've since decided to be an actuary and I start in September. Have you got any plans for when you graduate?

I'm in my last year of MMath too. This semester has been pretty much wasted unfortunately, but it's been nice to do some advanced modules. I'm taking it quite leisurely though, the whole "no detriment" policy means I'm guaranteed a first 🤷*♂️
Fair enough, I take the point now.

Haha yes that was a long time ago! That was a phase I went through when I was wasn't sure what to do after I graduate. I've since decided to be an actuary and I start in September. Have you got any plans for when you graduate?

I'm in my last year of MMath too. This semester has been pretty much wasted unfortunately, but it's been nice to do some advanced modules. I'm taking it quite leisurely though, the whole "no detriment" policy means I'm guaranteed a first 🤷*♂️

I'm doing a PhD (starting October) in an area that is a continuation of my MMath project this year. So, while my uni has a bunch of safety nets and no detriment policy, I am somewhat taking it easy on the modules but not so much on my project since I will be returning to it in October anyway.

Good luck with your acturial work!

Quick Reply

Latest