Gcse maths trigonometry

Watch this thread
MollyNelson
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Will someone help me with this maths question please. Give me a step by step guide. Thank you MollyName:  image.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  126.9 KB
e2002!
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
1. Use pythagoras theorem to find the length of side ZX.

So ZX = the square root of (22.3 squared - 7.5 squared)

2. Then you want to use cosine rule to find the angle, as if you have the length of all 3 sides you can find any angle.

When using cosine rule make sure you sub in the correct values in place of the letters, if you get what i mean. Eg a=7.5 as the angle you are finding is YZX and 7.5 is opposite to this angle.

sorry if that doesn’t make sense, it’s kind of difficult to write without the mathmatical symbols🤣
vc94
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MollyNelson)
Will someone help me with this maths question please. Give me a step by step guide. Thank you MollyName:  image.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  126.9 KB
SOHCAHTOA
7.5 is Opposite the angle you're trying to find, 22.3 is the Hypotenuse.
O and H means use the formula sin(angle) = O/H
Use "Inverse sin" to get the angle!
Dancer2001
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by e2002!)
1. Use pythagoras theorem to find the length of side ZX.

So ZX = the square root of (22.3 squared - 7.5 squared)

2. Then you want to use cosine rule to find the angle, as if you have the length of all 3 sides you can find any angle.

When using cosine rule make sure you sub in the correct values in place of the letters, if you get what i mean. Eg a=7.5 as the angle you are finding is YZX and 7.5 is opposite to this angle.

sorry if that doesn’t make sense, it’s kind of difficult to write without the mathmatical symbols🤣
That would work but it seems like the long way round. You did see it’s a right angle?
e2002!
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
That would work but it seems like the long way round. You did see it’s a right angle?
oh my god ofcourse, my bad🤣Too used to A level maths at this point, clearly over complicating it😭
MollyNelson
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by vc94)
SOHCAHTOA
7.5 is Opposite the angle you're trying to find, 22.3 is the Hypotenuse.
O and H means use the formula sin(angle) = O/H
Use "Inverse sin" to get the angle
This worked thank you 👍🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads