iPad Pro or MacBook for chemistry degree at uni??

Watch
alicaneygi123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m hopefully going to be doing chemistry at uni in October and I was wondering if I should get a MacBook Air or an IPad Pro with Apple Pencil and a keyboard. The iPads have improved a lot and I’m thinking of the drawing aspect in chemistry. I just don’t know how it is to write essays on the iPad and if it can handle it/ if it can have the same apps as MacBook. Which would be the better purchase?
E_Marty
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have just bought the iPad Pro and I absolutely love it. I have the 12.9 inch so the screen is a great size. I don’t use a laptop so unfortunately I can’t compare but I have no difficulty writing essays on here. I haven’t got the pencil or a proper keyboard yet but I am hoping to receive a Brydge Pro+ keyboard in the post soon and I can let you know what it’s like if you want?
alicaneygi123
Rep:
?
That would be amazing! Thank you!!
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alicaneygi123)
I’m hopefully going to be doing chemistry at uni in October and I was wondering if I should get a MacBook Air or an IPad Pro with Apple Pencil and a keyboard. The iPads have improved a lot and I’m thinking of the drawing aspect in chemistry. I just don’t know how it is to write essays on the iPad and if it can handle it/ if it can have the same apps as MacBook. Which would be the better purchase?
Bin off the MacBook, I'd say the iPad will definitely help. I am doing a similar course where I'm drawing out molecular structures, Notability is an app which is a must have for Uni lectures. You can import the lecture slides as a PDF or PPT onto the app and annotate directly onto the PDF and save it as a .note file. You can export it back as a PDF whenever you want and the app will auto-backup onto a cloud service of yours after every edit.

iPad Pro is good if you've got the money, but in honesty the new iPad 10.2" and 1st gen Apple Pencil will do the exactly the same job. Much better value for money too!
alicaneygi123
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Bin off the MacBook, I'd say the iPad will definitely help. I am doing a similar course where I'm drawing out molecular structures, Notability is an app which is a must have for Uni lectures. You can import the lecture slides as a PDF or PPT onto the app and annotate directly onto the PDF and save it as a .note file. You can export it back as a PDF whenever you want and the app will auto-backup onto a cloud service of yours after every edit.

iPad Pro is good if you've got the money, but in honesty the new iPad 10.2" and 1st gen Apple Pencil will do the exactly the same job. Much better value for money too!
Does the iPad handle multitasking, essay writing and Microsoft programs well?
csnerd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
macbook lol
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does the iPad handle multitasking, essay writing and Microsoft programs well?
Yep, iPadOS is very optimised for multitasking. (As is MacOS)

Get yourself a logitech bluetooth keyboard with the iPad and you can use it practically as you would a laptop. Plus the logitech bluetooth keyboards support multi-device and switching through them in a button click (depending if you get their keyboards that supports it).

I have a MacBook Pro and hardly ever use it when I'm in Uni to be honest.
alicaneygi123
Rep:
?
One really good benefit of an iPad Pro is you can go completely paperless, it will literally revolutionise the way you study
alicaneygi123
Rep:
?
Yh that’s a good idea too. I don’t need the most expensive iPad.
Ewan__
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could try getting a Microsoft Surface... It's much better value for money as you can have the functionality of a tablet with a touchscreen and stylus/pen, as well as being able to use Windows and use full desktop applications.
alicaneygi123
Rep:
?
Yh that’s also an option. The thing is I’m used to being in the Apple ecosystem, so I don’t know if I’ll change or not. But I won’t rule it out
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey alicaneygi123

I would recommend getting the iPad as it will be easier to draw out the molecules in chemistry lectures and different reactions etc.

As for typing up essays you could either get a keyboard or you could always go to the library at uni and find a space there to do your work

I hope this helps
Eloise - Official Student Rep
CarlosCF
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ewan__)
You could try getting a Microsoft Surface... It's much better value for money as you can have the functionality of a tablet with a touchscreen and stylus/pen, as well as being able to use Windows and use full desktop applications.
i'm a major apple fanboy, but when I switched to surface, it was possibly the best thing I've ever done. I take notes on OneNote and do everything and more, than what I could do on my iPad. Inserting files and converting files are much easier on a surface. I would highly recommend it.
Ewan__
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Keep in mind that you are still buying a used laptop with no warranty, not to mention the outdated components and windows 7 (which is no longer supported).
The battery might be on the verge of death.
However, if you have the patience you can probably buy a new hard drive, battery and install Windows 10 on the device.
If you want a more up to date and supported platform.. get a Surface.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed