Struggling with self-belief

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am really struggling with anxiety, I feel like I have become lost before I used to think if I work hard I can achieve anything. But now I have this constant anxiety that perhaps this is not true so then I don't want to try as I don't want to fail. How can I get that self-confidence and self-belief back.
Young_
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I don't know your current situation. But I did have anxiety for a short amount of time a few years ago, to a really bad level, so I have a bit of experience with you're talking about. In my situation, looking into philosophy solved my situation. I lacked any sense of direction, any sense of ambition and determination to get there. However, after looking into philosophy it was so astonishing to me all the different ways you could live your life. I really suggest you look into it and get stuck into it. After doing just a bit of research, I couldn't stop researching these different theories of how to live life and perceive it. If you do want some suggestions on where to start, let me know and I'll talk a bit more about it. If you don't want to, I seriously don't mind lol. I feel like most people look down on people who talk about philosophy and spiritual stuff (even though it's not spiritual but people view them similarly for whatever reason). I don't really know your situation though so it's hard to advise on it. Some general advice is to look into your future, if you have something you want to do (a future job/career) then research into it, plan out how you're getting there and you might be able to get excited over it. Watch some movies with your family whilst you're most likely isolated through this time. Honestly, talking to people about it helps a lot. When I told my family I had anxiety, they were very supportive and it really helped to get over it.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Young_)
I don't know your current situation. But I did have anxiety for a short amount of time a few years ago, to a really bad level, so I have a bit of experience with you're talking about. In my situation, looking into philosophy solved my situation. I lacked any sense of direction, any sense of ambition and determination to get there. However, after looking into philosophy it was so astonishing to me all the different ways you could live your life. I really suggest you look into it and get stuck into it. After doing just a bit of research, I couldn't stop researching these different theories of how to live life and perceive it. If you do want some suggestions on where to start, let me know and I'll talk a bit more about it. If you don't want to, I seriously don't mind lol. I feel like most people look down on people who talk about philosophy and spiritual stuff (even though it's not spiritual but people view them similarly for whatever reason). I don't really know your situation though so it's hard to advise on it. Some general advice is to look into your future, if you have something you want to do (a future job/career) then research into it, plan out how you're getting there and you might be able to get excited over it. Watch some movies with your family whilst you're most likely isolated through this time. Honestly, talking to people about it helps a lot. When I told my family I had anxiety, they were very supportive and it really helped to get over it.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply, where do I begin looking at in philosophy?
Young_
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I first started with Eastern Philosophy, because it was so different from how western people live their lives. I would recommend starting with theories like Taoism, Confucianism, and, I'm sure you know it, Buddhism. They each have such a different way of living your life compared to how most western people do it. And it shows. If you view suicide rates in China compared to the US, for example, there's quite a significant difference contributed to largely by the way they live their life. For example, in a study done over 4 years, it found that 13% of China's population got an anxiety disorder over that period. But in the US, over the course of a year, 18% got an anxiety disorder. Without taking into effect any other factors, over the course of 4 years (scaling-up), 72% of people in the US would get an anxiety disorder compared to China's 13%. In reality, it would be significantly lower but I just did that to make it easier and quicker. You can find lots of helpful videos on Youtube about the philosophies as well. I looked into Taoism when I got anxiety, and the other philosophies naturally followed. They really teach you to kind of let go of worries and anxieties, and to be positive. A quick story that I like which kind of introduces the basic principles of each philosophy I mentioned there is the story of the Vinegar Tasters. I hope you look into these philosophies and find them interesting. If you have any questions about anything, let me know
blazerod
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Seek for medical treatment. There are lots of online counseling or therapy with regards to your problem that can help you bring back your confidence.
Re-Mapping the Page.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
15.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (25)
25.77%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (53)
54.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.12%

Watched Threads