Law Personal Statement Help

Watch this thread
username4406810
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello All

I am thinking of applying to read law at a Russel group uni. I obviously need a killer PS that demonstrates critical analysis skills.

I wanna base my PS around human right law and maybe the death penalty. Can anyone suggest to me some books that present opposing views on a certain issue eg. Death penalty. I can then present the two sides in my personal statement evaluate them and come to a conclusion.
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I would briefly discuss some reading that interests you and why it interests you, but I wouldn't say that you should be using your whole PS as an essay? You should be focusing on why law (which can include what you have mentioned briefly) and why you.
Last edited by lawcalling; 2 years ago
username4406810
Rep:
(Original post by lawcalling)
I would briefly discuss some reading that interests you and why it interests you, but I wouldn't say that you should be using your whole PS as an essay? You should be focusing on why law (which can include what you have mentioned briefly), why the uni and why you.
Could u recommend any human rights stuff that is suitable for my level?
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by proudmonkey)
Could u recommend any human rights stuff that is suitable for my level?
I would look at anonlads general suggestions here in terms of what kind of books to go and what types of books to avoid (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3584939). Unfortunately I have no particular experience with human rights, just find something that interests you - it will come off as a lot more authentic!
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hello All

I am thinking of applying to read law at a Russel group uni. I obviously need a killer PS that demonstrates critical analysis skills.

I wanna base my PS around human right law and maybe the death penalty. Can anyone suggest to me some books that present opposing views on a certain issue eg. Death penalty. I can then present the two sides in my personal statement evaluate them and come to a conclusion.
I've moved this to the Law forum as it is more about reading than how to write a PS. Bear in mind that your PS should be relevant to whatever course you are studying. While human rights will be covered, will things like the death penalty be? We haven't had the death penalty in this country for a while after all. Of course if there are international/historical modules, this may be mentioned (but still may only be a small part of the course)
username4406810
Rep:
What do you mean by 'childish' and how could I improve my approach?
Euphoria101
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
What do you mean by 'childish' and how could I improve my approach?
You're closing yourself off by making your PS revolve around human rights law and the death penalty. The death penalty is an interesting concept, but it's not very common in the actual study of law anymore (apart from a few modules). It would be really naive if you only talked about these two topics.

A university is looking for interested law applicants. They don't just want someone who can talk about a topic that isn't a huge part of the course and human rights law.
username4406810
Rep:
(Original post by Euphoria101)
You're closing yourself off by making your PS revolve around human rights law and the death penalty. The death penalty is an interesting concept, but it's not very common in the actual study of law anymore (apart from a few modules). It would be really naive if you only talked about these two topics.

A university is looking for interested law applicants. They don't just want someone who can talk about a topic that isn't a huge part of the course and human rights law.
What should I do?
Booeka
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hello All

Personally, i would advise you not to base it solely on human rights and death penalty.
Talk about human rights sunce your passionate about it, but try to touch on some other modules that interest you to. Make sure to say what has drawn you towards studying law properly and provide evidence. Through the reading you wanna do for instance.
Also, you could mention death penalty if you want, but please dont base it on that. Cause thats not really a bug part of the llb by any means. U can relate it to something you’re talking about in the PS, but dont make it the main focus of your PS. If that makes senss?

Books: you could read “what about law”, to give you an insight into the different fields and all as a starting point.
(I read that book but didnt end up using it in my PS).

After reading it you could go into some more specific books depending on what interested you most.

Good luck

Where do you think u will apply?
hollyoliviaxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
in my russell group law ps i wrote about:
1. cambridge masterclasses i went to and subsequent research i did - i did a family law one and a human rights one and focused a lot on the nicklinson case which is super accessible!
2. i wrote about work experience that i did but this isn’t essential
3. i read books too like what about law and letters to a law student but looking back i probs wasted my time and they were useless to me
4. i did an extended project about gun laws in america - this was a really good talking point

you’re not childish for wanting to write it about human rights. i focused my statement around it, but also wrote a little about law in general, and ended up being successful.

if you’re applying to LSE, you need a really original and interesting statement. most other unis i applied to didn’t care what was in my statement anyway.
hollyoliviaxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
the person is asking for help - i just don’t think it’s nice to call them childish, that’s all 😂 i’m not going to sit here and argue, i was just saying what i was personally told by LSE and why they rejected me. they were likely the only uni to actually care about what was in my statement.

you don’t have to talk to people like that. but since you asked, i got 10 a* and and a at GCSE, A*AA in history, french and eng lit a levels, and an A in my EPQ. i never sat the LNAT because i didn’t apply to LNAT unis. i was given offers by warwick, leeds and QMUL. LSE as ive said rejected me after a few stages of filtering applications. cambridge pooled me after my interview but i was rejected there too.

in hindsight law wasn’t for me at all and i’m not enjoying it, so if you’re struggling with writing a statement about how you’re interested in law, it might not be for OP either. but you’re not childish - just make sure you’re doing what you love!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (2)
100%
It went fairly well (0)
0%
It didn't go too well (0)
0%
TERRIBLE! (0)
0%

Watched Threads