The Student Room Group

Working in my gap year

I'm currently taking my first year in a level three CACHE course for childcare and education and am looking at take a primary education course with QTS at a university when I finish my gap year. As part of my gap year i would love to get more hands on experience with working with children in a primary school (that would hopefully provide a little money for travel outside term time) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what sort of job role this would suit? I would have liked to have a little time doing a role such as a teaching assistant as i believe that the course that i am currently taking is an entry way into that role, however as i said before i would only be looking at doing this for a year and am not sure if anywhere would take me for that amount of time (particularly with my lack of experience- would be about 60 days worth of experience by the time I've finished the course I'm currently taking). If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully received! I am also looking at possible Universities so any recommendations would be great :smile:
Original post by anuxxx1
I'm currently taking my first year in a level three CACHE course for childcare and education and am looking at take a primary education course with QTS at a university when I finish my gap year. As part of my gap year i would love to get more hands on experience with working with children in a primary school (that would hopefully provide a little money for travel outside term time) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what sort of job role this would suit? I would have liked to have a little time doing a role such as a teaching assistant as i believe that the course that i am currently taking is an entry way into that role, however as i said before i would only be looking at doing this for a year and am not sure if anywhere would take me for that amount of time (particularly with my lack of experience- would be about 60 days worth of experience by the time I've finished the course I'm currently taking). If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully received! I am also looking at possible Universities so any recommendations would be great :smile:

Hi there :smile:
There is so much you can do in your gap year. With a level 3 in childcare, you gain so much work experience there is no reason why you can't find work in a nursery or in a school as a teaching assistant. In fact, i know people who have been offered a job from one of their placements whilst doing their level 3.
Alternatively, you can find a job in retail that centres around children e.g. Build A Bear, The Entertainer etc. One of my friends is a supervisor at Build A Bear and she's also going into primary teaching too. It shows you can work well in various environments, and most importantly you can work well with children outside the classroom too.
As for university, it depends on how far you're willing to move and if there is anything specific you're looking for. Universities that are known/good for primary education include Edge Hill, Brighton, Worcester.
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Hi there :smile:
There is so much you can do in your gap year. With a level 3 in childcare, you gain so much work experience there is no reason why you can't find work in a nursery or in a school as a teaching assistant. In fact, i know people who have been offered a job from one of their placements whilst doing their level 3.
Alternatively, you can find a job in retail that centres around children e.g. Build A Bear, The Entertainer etc. One of my friends is a supervisor at Build A Bear and she's also going into primary teaching too. It shows you can work well in various environments, and most importantly you can work well with children outside the classroom too.
As for university, it depends on how far you're willing to move and if there is anything specific you're looking for. Universities that are known/good for primary education include Edge Hill, Brighton, Worcester.
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the help! I will look into it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending