The Student Room Group

WHAT a level should i CHOOSE- ASAP!!!

Hey Guys,
Psychology or Sociology?

I like them both, but i feel like with Psychology, it’s more interesting but i heard it’s context heavy and need lots of memorising( i have very bad memory and hate revision) and so i feel like i’m going to do bad in and achieve poor grades.

With Sociology, i feel like it’s okay but boring, some topics in which i hate( apparently it’s linked to Citizenship/ Social Science) but i also feel like i’m going to achieve better grades.

Ps. i don’t know if this would help but i’m also picking Health and Social care BTEC and Philosophy and Ethics.

HELP PLEASEEE I NEED ADVICE-TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY OF CHANGING OPTIONS!!!
Reply 1
I did psychology for a year and HATED it. Learned about the different approaches was awful. My friend did Psychology and Sociology and loved sociology she disliked some topics but felt it was a lit easier to pass than psych x
Original post by Teig_xx
I did psychology for a year and HATED it. Learned about the different approaches was awful. My friend did Psychology and Sociology and loved sociology she disliked some topics but felt it was a lit easier to pass than psych x

what was your exam board? and also, what kind if things did u learn? xx
Reply 3
Original post by ConfuffledChild
what was your exam board? and also, what kind if things did u learn? xx

My exam board was AQA. I learned about the different approaches, things like OCD, Depression, Social Influence things like that x
Hey Guys,
Psychology or Sociology?

I like them both, but i feel like with Psychology, it’s more interesting but i heard it’s context heavy and need lots of memorising( i have very bad memory and hate revision) and so i feel like i’m going to do bad in and achieve poor grades.

With Sociology, i feel like it’s okay but boring, some topics in which i hate( apparently it’s linked to Citizenship/ Social Science) but i also feel like i’m going to achieve better grades.

Ps. i don’t know if this would help but i’m also picking Health and Social care BTEC and Philosophy and Ethics.

HELP PLEASEEE I NEED ADVICE-TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY OF CHANGING OPTIONS!!!

Hey @ConfuffledChild :smile:

I studied A-Level Sociology and really enjoyed it. There is a lot of theory and therefore the workload is predominately essay based. Sociology is a social science and we looked at a few topics such as: The Family, Crime, The 7 world religions including sects and cults, Race and racism and research methods.

I cannot speak on behalf of Psychology, but A-Levels are the next step up from GCSE and so are naturally going to be more challenging. I would suggest choosing an A-Level that you think you will enjoy more because if you enjoy a course more, you are more likely to get better grades.

If have any questions, let me know.

Ashley :biggrin:
can you give me examples within the topic? like, u say that you learnt about family... in what context? x
can you give me examples within the topic? like, u say that you learnt about family... in what context? x

Hey @ConfuffledChild :smile:

A lot of theorists view the family as a social institution as it performs several important functions for society to run. For example, how gender norms affect the division of labour between men and women in the family. These gender norms in the family as a result, will reinforce economic inequality. The family also socializes its children and provides its members with social identity and how that identity will affect them in later life (class, race etc).

What I have mentioned above all come from different theories of sociology, for example, functionalism and symbolic interactionalism etc. You can always research the theories at your leisure. You could look at past papers for AS-Level Sociology online and see what questions they have asked. However, I wouldn't spend too much time on them as you don't know what topics for definite you will be studying and it may be good for you to get your first proper understanding of such topics, from a teacher.

I hope you find this helpful.

Let me know if I can help at all again!

Ashley :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest