The Student Room Group

A level subject choices suitable for a degree in law.

I am planning to study law at university and i am not sure what A-Levels to take.
So far i have chosen History (Early Modern), English Literature and Politics.
The sixth form i am planning to attend offers Law A-Level however some universities like LSE have it "black listed".
I would like some advice on whether the subjects i have chosen will with good grades get me into a good univeristy.
Do universities have any preference on the History course early modern or modern history.
if you already know you want to do law at uni, i would not advise taking law at alevel. most unis would prefer you to have a facilitating subject instead as what's taught in law alevel is pretty much covered in the first term or so at uni so firstly it wont give you the head start you think it will, and some unis would prefer to teach you from scratch as your alevel course might teach it differently to how the uni want you to learn it. subjects such as alevel law and psych have often been criticised for lack of depth and detail in the course
the subjects you have chosen are definitely going to be preferred by unis but it all depends on your grades in these subjects
most unis don't have a preference for either history, so feel free to choose which one interests you or you think you'll do best in
your a level choices are fine, there's no required subject for law but there tends to be a preference for essay based or humanities subjects. i personally wouldn't take a level law especially if you like the 3 subjects you have chosen.
Reply 3
Pick 3 subjects you enjoy and can do well at. There are no required subjects though (can't find the reference) I have seen that the 3 most popular A levels for successful applicants for Law at Russell group universities are History, English Literature and Maths.
Those A level combination are fine :yy: and they dont have a preference about what type of history you do

Quick Reply

Latest