is it possible to study graduate entry medicine with a degree in optometry

Watch
Azotic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Would studying a degree in optometry and potentially getting a 1st or high 2.1 put me at a disadvantage when compared to other graduates getting a first or 2.1 in biomedical sciences or a more healthcare-related science when applying to graduate entry medicine? I'm worried because i have never seen anyone study a degree in optometry and do graduate entry medicine. I would appreciate any help, thank you.
CWPG22
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Azotic)
Would studying a degree in optometry and potentially getting a 1st or high 2.1 put me at a disadvantage when compared to other graduates getting a first or 2.1 in biomedical sciences or a more healthcare-related science when applying to graduate entry medicine? I'm worried because i have never seen anyone study a degree in optometry and do graduate entry medicine. I would appreciate any help, thank you.
One of my friends got into graduate entry medicine with a 2:2 in a humanities degree & a Masters in psychology - graduate medicine is definitely full of diverse background, and as optometry is directly linked to both sciences and healthcare I'm sure it would not be a disadvantage.
mm2345
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Really, must have got a really high gamsat score or unrealistic
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by CWPG22)
One of my friends got into graduate entry medicine with a 2:2 in a humanities degree & a Masters in psychology - graduate medicine is definitely full of diverse background, and as optometry is directly linked to both sciences and healthcare I'm sure it would not be a disadvantage.
How did they afford GEM ontop of the two previous degrees? :confused:
mm2345
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
I'm doing a Masters in Public health I took out student loan :/
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by mm2345)
They did a BA, then Masters, then GEM. How is that affordable?
mm2345
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Probs had money saved up and it could be from a while back when there was funding available for graduate entry. For Undergrad ppl take student loan out as-well so essentially paying for nothing. Anyway what they wrote sounds fake anyway I know people struggling to get in with 2.1 and minimal entry requirements is that
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Probs had money saved up and it could be from a while back when there was funding available for graduate entry. For Undergrad ppl take student loan out as-well so essentially paying for nothing. Anyway what they wrote sounds fake anyway I know people struggling to get in with 2.1 and minimal entry requirements is that
For GEM they are obliged to take people from a range of backgrounds, so it would not surprise me if a few weaker candidates from poorer backgrounds got in.
CWPG22
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
They worked for a year full time between Masters/ GEM whilst living at home so saved all of that money, and then UK student loan/ NHS bursary covers the rest! Also, they did the Masters whilst living at home to save money.

Also, 100% not fake lol, don't know why I'd make it up? haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads