The Student Room Group

My parents want all of my student loan

I'm currently on the £1200 student loan which doesn't cover my normal rent in halls so I have a part time job and my parents give me £100 a month (most of this goes to rent as each student loan payment needs an additional £200 to make it enough for rent) so I'm honestly pretty poor, I can't afford things like take-out or weekly nights out and owe friends money. I'm also in a long distance relationship so my money goes towards that too. This means im always in y student overdraft, usually within £100 of the limit.

With corona my university are retracting the last rent payment so for the first time I'll be out my student loan and stay out of it and I have plans to visit my boyfriend for a week (£60 train ticket) and be able to pay off my £500 August rent payment on my house next year comfortably. I'll also be working over the summer. However my olden brother who is a Harvard graduate and lives lavishly in London usually is staying in the family home too and paying my parents £50 a week rent. Today my parents have said that they want £500 of my student loan and probably more and take all of it and just pay me back my £500 August rent when I need it. I haven't payed it yet as I get it on the 20th but I don't know what to do, they're complaining about spending £200 a week on food (3 adults, myself and little sister so it's excessive and they only spend that at Christmas with my grandparents and other brother eating too) and bills. This was my out of debt security money, I'm teetering into going over my overdraft again because in Hull I could barely afford to feed myself. Also with that amount that they want I think they want over the summer rent? My brothers never did that when coming home from university, they've only ever joked about it with any of us but this time they're definitely serious.
(edited 4 years ago)
tell your parents that you can pay them weekly rent (20-30 a week). That is less than your brother as he is a graduate and has enough money. That is only fair. Explain to them that you have a job and are working hard and your student loan just isn't enough. Just refuse to pay the 500; they wont kick you out. Honestly its not fair for parents to do this if their child has job and is studying . Tell them loads of students dont even have a job and that you're trying your best
Your parents are being selfish. It’s your student loan. You can decide what to do with it. Tell them to **** off if I’m honest. at the end of the day it’s not your parents who are gonna pay it back, it’s you.
Original post by lucy1moo.
I'm currently on the £1200 student loan which doesn't cover my normal rent in halls so I have a part time job and my parents give me £100 a month (most of this goes to rent as each student loan payment needs an additional £200 to make it enough for rent) so I'm honestly pretty poor, I can't afford things like take-out or weekly nights out and owe friends money. I'm also in a long distance relationship so my money goes towards that too. This means im always in y student overdraft, usually within £100 of the limit.

With corona my university are retracting the last rent payment so for the first time I'll be out my student loan and stay out of it and I have plans to visit my boyfriend for a week (£60 train ticket) and be able to pay off my £500 August rent payment on my house next year comfortably. I'll also be working over the summer. However my olden brother who is a Harvard graduate and lives lavishly in London usually is staying in the family home too and paying my parents £50 a week rent. Today my parents have said that they want £500 of my student loan and probably more and take all of it and just pay me back my £500 August rent when I need it. I haven't payed it yet as I get it on the 20th but I don't know what to do, they're complaining about spending £200 a week on food (3 adults, myself and little sister so it's excessive and they only spend that at Christmas with my grandparents and other brother eating too) and bills. This was my out of debt security money, I'm teetering into going over my overdraft again because in Hull I could barely afford to feed myself. Also with that amount that they want I think they want over the summer rent? My brothers never did that when coming home from university, they've only ever joked about it with any of us but this time they're definitely serious.

Tell them that if they are not willing to support their children. They should'nt have had any. Disgusting.. i'm sorry that you're having to experience this. Learn from these things and don't do the the same to your kids!

You cannot visit your boyfriend at the moment.

How can they access your Student Loan? Just tell them you will buy your own food - simple.
Original post by redrum2000
British parents amaze me.

This can happen to anyone. It's unfortunate but selfish people have no nationality.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
You cannot visit your boyfriend at the moment.

How can they access your Student Loan? Just tell them you will buy your own food - simple.

I more meant after the lockdown.
I more meant after the lockdown.

The other question and my suggestion?
How can they access your student loan? I would pay them some rent, so a value like the ones suggested above, and buy your own food but try to save as much as you can. A student loan is for you, the student. It's for your living costs, your travel, course materials etc not anyone else's. A lot of parents don't realise that although you'll have the money short term, you're the one that's going to be paying it back should you earn enough in the future. Unless they're planning on helping you pay it back (which they're not with that attitude), they shouldn't take ridiculous amounts of it in the first place.

another thing is if you only get £1200 a term that means your parents income is above 60k so they shouldn't need rent from you

they shouldn't be asking for money from you. You need to explain you situation to them. So many students get monthly payments from their parents to help with their accomodation. My dad gives me £150 every month, my mum pays for most of my monthly food shopping. Also don't give them your student loan, you need to pay this back yourself! maybe they are saying that because they are not happy with the fact that it's going towards your boyfriend? you need to have a serious chat with them
Original post by itsyahg
they shouldn't be asking for money from you. You need to explain you situation to them. So many students get monthly payments from their parents to help with their accomodation. My dad gives me £150 every month, my mum pays for most of my monthly food shopping. Also don't give them your student loan, you need to pay this back yourself! maybe they are saying that because they are not happy with the fact that it's going towards your boyfriend? you need to have a serious chat with them

tbh even if its going towards her bf she has a job and is an adult so is allowed to use it on that too
Original post by Anonymous
tbh even if its going towards her bf she has a job and is an adult so is allowed to use it on that too

yes true but if she's saying to her parents she doesn't have much money, and yet she's spending it on her bf, they might not like that. Which is why they may be asking for money
yes true. its just something ive noticed that english and American parents tend to be a lot more cold to their children than most other nationalities

That’s the reason why a lot of them end up in residential home!
Original post by itsyahg
yes true but if she's saying to her parents she doesn't have much money, and yet she's spending it on her bf, they might not like that. Which is why they may be asking for money

yeh but its not up to them what she spends it on. also seeing your partner is one of the top priorities after food and shelter
yeh but its not up to them what she spends it on. also seeing your partner is one of the top priorities after food and shelter

and that's what she needs to tell them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending