The Student Room Group

What if I relapse in med school?

I’ve been working on getting to a better place with anorexia having been hospitalised a few years ago and all being well should be starting med school next year in a reasonably recovering state. I know I will not be fully better though and part of me is terrified about what would happen if I started the course and then relapsed and lost weight again (apparently it’s quite common for anorexics to lose weight when they start uni) - would I get chucked off the course, what would happen?
I know the intention is to be fine and I’m hoping that happens but there is a rational part of me that worries about this.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been working on getting to a better place with anorexia having been hospitalised a few years ago and all being well should be starting med school next year in a reasonably recovering state. I know I will not be fully better though and part of me is terrified about what would happen if I started the course and then relapsed and lost weight again (apparently it’s quite common for anorexics to lose weight when they start uni) - would I get chucked off the course, what would happen?
I know the intention is to be fine and I’m hoping that happens but there is a rational part of me that worries about this.

Firstly, congratulations for getting into medical school. I'm a 4th year medic so I can tell you Medicine is difficult. However, I personally know other medics who also deal with physical and mental health conditions, but are powering through fine just like their peers. Some of them also have the eating disorder you've described, and have been hospitalised in the past, but they too have found ways to cope. So don't underestimate yourself, you are a lot stronger than you think. Getting into medical school itself is a sign of resilience and grit. And no, the uni won't chuck you out. People have taken time out of uni due to various illnesses, so university, especially medical school, will be considerate of this.

You said it's quite common for anorexics to lose weight when they start uni, but that doesn't mean you will be one of them. If you're good enough to get into medical school, you're good enough to make it out of medical school. I know very well you are more than capable of getting through just fine, so have faith in yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by HGS345
Firstly, congratulations for getting into medical school. I'm a 4th year medic so I can tell you Medicine is difficult. However, I personally know other medics who also deal with physical and mental health conditions, but are powering through fine just like their peers. Some of them also have the eating disorder you've described, and have been hospitalised in the past, but they too have found ways to cope. So don't underestimate yourself, you are a lot stronger than you think. Getting into medical school itself is a sign of resilience and grit. And no, the uni won't chuck you out. People have taken time out of uni due to various illnesses, so university, especially medical school, will be considerate of this.

You said it's quite common for anorexics to lose weight when they start uni, but that doesn't mean you will be one of them. If you're good enough to get into medical school, you're good enough to make it out of medical school. I know very well you are more than capable of getting through just fine, so have faith in yourself.

Thanks for your comments - I hope you are enjoying medical school. I’m prepared for it to be tough !

I hope I am stronger than I think I’m just a bit worried about it as my family seem quite concerned
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your comments - I hope you are enjoying medical school. I’m prepared for it to be tough !

I hope I am stronger than I think I’m just a bit worried about it as my family seem quite concerned

No problem. Which university are you hoping to go to? I'm a Manchester student.
Family will worry regardless of whether you're in good health or bad health. What matters is that you don't let fear stop you. Fear is not there to hinder you, but to help you learn to be brave. Brave in your abilities to overcome your difficulties.

Quick Reply

Latest