Does it matter where you do your PhD?

Watch
abir patwary989
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I currently study Biomeidcal Science at the University of Sheffield.
I have two options for what I want to do after currently:
1)MSc Translational Neuroscience at Imperial College London
2)PhD in Neuroscience at the University of Sheffield
Ultimately I want to do a PhD in Neuroscience.

Which would you go for?
I have heard that it is very important where you do your PhD for good opportunties afterwards and other people say its more about the quality of the research. Regardless, some people have suggested that a Masters at imperial might help me continue my PhD at a leading university like Imperial or better - do you think this is true?
Last edited by abir patwary989; 7 months ago
leopard202
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by abir patwary989)

Which would you go for?
I have heard that it is very important where you do your PhD for good opportunties afterwards and other people say its more about the quality of the research.
I think doing your research on your supervisor is really important, I know people who have chosen the school they want, but had no chemistry or good relationship with their supervisor. They didn't feel well supported enough or that they understood what they're trying to do.

Have you considered a PhD at Imperial? IMO it's the more well known/reputable school, but your PhD listed at Sheffield might sound closer to what you're looking for? I think the school is also important because of what connections, staff, budget and resources they have which could help you make the most of your research.
abir patwary989
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by leopard202)
I think doing your research on your supervisor is really important, I know people who have chosen the school they want, but had no chemistry or good relationship with their supervisor. They didn't feel well supported enough or that they understood what they're trying to do.

Have you considered a PhD at Imperial? IMO it's the more well known/reputable school, but your PhD listed at Sheffield might sound closer to what you're looking for? I think the school is also important because of what connections, staff, budget and resources they have which could help you make the most of your research.
Well my masters course is a taught course with a long research project that we get to do in a lab of our choice so I don´t think the supervisor will be too big of an issue.
The reason I was thinking about Sheffield is because it is a lot cheaper than living in London but subjectwise I like the topics in the Imperial course.
I had thought of a PhD in Imperial but I don´t think I´ll a competative enough applicant because I lack relevant lab experience. That is part of the reason why I wanted to go for a masters at Imperial.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by abir patwary989)

Which would you go for?
I have heard that it is very important where you do your PhD for good opportunties afterwards and other people say its more about the quality of the research. Regardless, some people have suggested that a Masters at imperial might help me continue my PhD at a leading university like Imperial or better - do you think this is true?
I mean, given your situation, it's more a case of whether you want to do a MSc first, or go straight into the PhD. You haven't mentioned if you have funding for the PhD, which is also a large factor.
harper_
Badges: 10
Report 7 months ago
I agree with PhoenixFortune, there are lots and lots of factors at play here. For instance, a master's at Imperial can end up costing a lot of money given how little the PG loan covers. Going straight for the PhD avoids this, but then as you say Sheffield isn't as good a school as Imperial.

Then, you have an offer of doing a PhD right now, while you are not guaranteed to get another PhD offer even after a year at Imperial.

You have to assess how much value you will gain from doing a PhD at a better school (bearing in mind Sheffield is a good school anyway) against the risk of not getting an offer in a year's time. I don't know how competitive these particular programmes are though - if you think that Sheffield (and/or similar quality schools) will accept you again next year while you are doing your master's, then maybe you should go for Imperial as at least you have a 'safety net' of sorts.
Last edited by harper_; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
32.32%
No - I have already returned home (10)
10.1%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
23.23%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (6)
6.06%
No - I live at home during term anyway (28)
28.28%

Watched Threads