The Student Room Group

Postgrad with bad first year grades

I want to do a masters possibly at Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/LSE/Oxford, etc. My second year marks have so far been good, firsts for everything. However my first year marks were awful, I had to resit two modules and my original marks are obviously on my transcript and I failed pretty bad. In my other modules I got 2 thirds, one 55, rest were 2.1s/1sts. With the two I had to resit, one module was a mathematics module that is very relevant to the masters course I want to do. Will the resits and thirds mean an automatic rejection, even if I average about 80% in second year?
Reply 1
Original post by Apersonn
I want to do a masters possibly at Cambridge/Imperial/UCL/LSE/Oxford, etc. My second year marks have so far been good, firsts for everything. However my first year marks were awful, I had to resit two modules and my original marks are obviously on my transcript and I failed pretty bad. In my other modules I got 2 thirds, one 55, rest were 2.1s/1sts. With the two I had to resit, one module was a mathematics module that is very relevant to the masters course I want to do. Will the resits and thirds mean an automatic rejection, even if I average about 80% in second year?

No , but you really need an overall first or a very comfortable 2.1 degree! If you get one of those, no one will really care about a few dodgy exam results along the way.!
Reply 2
I did really well in 1st and 2nd year, then messed up on some 3rd year exams and only just scraped a 1st after the weightings were applied. I managed to get into Imperial this year on a 9% acceptance rate course. I would say getting rubbish marks in 3rd year are worse than any in 1st.

I suppose it depends on your degree area, but the strength of your personal statement and any experience/internships/publications can matter a lot when applying to masters, even as much as your final grade. If you get a 1st overall, you should be OK on the grade front. Saying that, Oxford/Cambridge may require 85% or more average for the super competitive courses (I heard this could be the case for the Mathematical/Theoretical Physics masters at Cambridge from my undergrad tutor, can't say for any others).
Reply 3
Original post by Apersonn

If you maintain good grades and even better excellent grades, it will not be a problem. Moreover if there is an interview for the programme they are going to ask you about it at least in Oxbridge, you have to be prepared. If you can show a consistent excellence after that 1st year and an overall good profile you will not be rejected just for that, unless your master's have a specific requirement about it, which is a rare case though.
Reply 4
Hey man! I am in a similar situation to you. How did things work out for you?
no body cares about your first year grades its about what grade you graduate with. Dont listen to people who say it matters BECAUSE FIRST YEAR GRADES DONT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending