Still unsure whether to do a master's degree or not...

Watch
W4lterWhit3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello all,

I graduated in 2018 with a degree in forensic psychology. Since then, I have been working here and there in jobs that aren't related to my degree. Towards the end of my undergraduate degree I had a little bit of interest in doing a master's but sort of thought I'd give it a couple/few years to see if my career path would require it. However, I am no further along in knowing what career I want to pursue...

The reason I chose to do forensic psychology is because I enjoyed A level psychology, had an interest in understanding why certain criminals commit crimes and potentially wanted to join the police (I now realise in retrospect that criminology was probably a better choice for me).

The issue with me is that I tend to change my mind in terms of what career I want to pursue. There always seems to be a downside to the jobs I'd like to do (e.g. screenwriter - hard to get a career, writer's block, detective - hard work, pressure). I know about the Police Now detective programme which I would be interested in, but there's no guarantee I would be chosen. Really, I'm just waiting for somebody to tell me the perfect job for me, but that's very unlikely to happen.

The master's degree I would be interested in doing is investigative and forensic psychology at the University of Liverpool (https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/po...logy/overview/). There are a few jobs listed on the Career prospects tab that I would be interested in (crime analyst, behavioural investigative advisor, fraud investigator, security services), but again I can either think of a downside or I'm not sure you'd need a master's degree for them.

There are many drawbacks I can find to doing a master's aside from wasting my own time, such as money, the whole moving process again, bit of a silly one but I don't want to leave my pet again as it's getting towards an older age (I suppose I could just do a master's at a uni closer to home).

Tl;dr is there a point in doing a master's just now if I'm not sure what I want to do in life?

(I suppose this more belongs in a career's advice forum so if there is one for that on here feel free to move it.)
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by W4lterWhit3)
Hello all,

I graduated in 2018 with a degree in forensic psychology. Since then, I have been working here and there in jobs that aren't related to my degree. Towards the end of my undergraduate degree I had a little bit of interest in doing a master's but sort of thought I'd give it a couple/few years to see if my career path would require it. However, I am no further along in knowing what career I want to pursue...

The reason I chose to do forensic psychology is because I enjoyed A level psychology, had an interest in understanding why certain criminals commit crimes and potentially wanted to join the police (I now realise in retrospect that criminology was probably a better choice for me).

The issue with me is that I tend to change my mind in terms of what career I want to pursue. There always seems to be a downside to the jobs I'd like to do (e.g. screenwriter - hard to get a career, writer's block, detective - hard work, pressure). I know about the Police Now detective programme which I would be interested in, but there's no guarantee I would be chosen. Really, I'm just waiting for somebody to tell me the perfect job for me, but that's very unlikely to happen.

The master's degree I would be interested in doing is investigative and forensic psychology at the University of Liverpool (https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/po...logy/overview/). There are a few jobs listed on the Career prospects tab that I would be interested in (crime analyst, behavioural investigative advisor, fraud investigator, security services), but again I can either think of a downside or I'm not sure you'd need a master's degree for them.

There are many drawbacks I can find to doing a master's aside from wasting my own time, such as money, the whole moving process again, bit of a silly one but I don't want to leave my pet again as it's getting towards an older age (I suppose I could just do a master's at a uni closer to home).

Tl;dr is there a point in doing a master's just now if I'm not sure what I want to do in life?

(I suppose this more belongs in a career's advice forum so if there is one for that on here feel free to move it.)
There's no point at all in wasting more money on a further degree if you can't decide what career you want to do.

Psychology, Criminology, Sociology are both vastly over-subscribed degrees, and you've got close to zero chance of getting a career directly using those degrees unless you are very competitive. You aren't, because you aren't focussed on anything.

Take a good hard look at yourself, your skill set, your interests etc and pick a path. Otherwise, your best bet is probably to continue to do low paid, unfulfilling jobs until either some sort of personal determination and focus kicks in, or you retire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads